Learning from you all... Have I missed anything important? Thank you!

Options
I have been learning so much from this site. Thank you to everyone who shares knowledge about healthy eating and weight loss. I am trying to take it all in and apply it to my life to change my habits and outlook.

On Monday, I weighed myself. I was 172. I have been trying to eat approximately 1200 calories a day: this is the amount MFP gave me as a target for consumption. I do not have a food scale yet. I am going to get one ASAP. I now understand that this is the most important key to tracking correctly. I understand that a calorie deficit equates to weight loss. I understand, from reading here, that "starvation mode" is not my problem.

I have increased my activity. My fitbit battery died and threw my tracking off for a bit, but I have been moving much more. I have also been drinking much more water. I am tracking everything I eat and drink using measuring cups until I obtain a food scale.

Monday is only two days away, and I am holding at 172. I am wondering if there are any suggestions of specific things I can do to assure I will see the scale go down, at least a little bit, each week. I have been drinking protein shakes. Can these interfere with weight loss?

To the best of my understanding, in trying to learn from you all, these things are true:

1. Buy a food scale, weigh, and log everything.
2. Drink enough water. There are no magic drinks.
3. Move and burn calories.
4. Eat few enough calories to create a calorie deficit.
5. We tend to underestimate calories eaten and overestimate calories burned.

I am not looking for an easy way out. I am hoping to find out if there are any important factors that I am still missing. Thank you for taking time to read and share your knowledge! I know I have a lot to learn.

Replies

• ProgressNotPerfectionIAmEnough
    Options
    Thank you. I need to remember that as well. I will add it to the list.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself all the time! Be more patient!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I have been learning so much from this site. Thank you to everyone who shares knowledge about healthy eating and weight loss. I am trying to take it all in and apply it to my life to change my habits and outlook.

On Monday, I weighed myself. I was 172. I have been trying to eat approximately 1200 calories a day: this is the amount MFP gave me as a target for consumption. I do not have a food scale yet. I am going to get one ASAP. I now understand that this is the most important key to tracking correctly. I understand that a calorie deficit equates to weight loss. I understand, from reading here, that "starvation mode" is not my problem.

I have increased my activity. My fitbit battery died and threw my tracking off for a bit, but I have been moving much more. I have also been drinking much more water. I am tracking everything I eat and drink using measuring cups until I obtain a food scale.

Monday is only two days away, and I am holding at 172. I am wondering if there are any suggestions of specific things I can do to assure I will see the scale go down, at least a little bit, each week. I have been drinking protein shakes. Can these interfere with weight loss?

To the best of my understanding, in trying to learn from you all, these things are true:

1. Buy a food scale, weigh, and log everything.
    2. Drink enough water. There are no magic drinks.
    3. Move and burn calories.
    4. Eat few enough calories to create a calorie deficit.
    5. We tend to underestimate calories eaten and overestimate calories burned.

I am not looking for an easy way out. I am hoping to find out if there are any important factors that I am still missing. Thank you for taking time to read and share your knowledge! I know I have a lot to learn.

You've got this nailed! Don't worry about a steady weekly loss, that can go up and down depending on water retention, bowel habits and tom. Let yourself relax, and be confidant that you're on the right path! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself all the time! Be more patient!

I like weighing everyday... But can do it without being fixated on the number. I watch the trend, and find it easier to follow than a weekly measurement which may miss a low day.

Sorry, should have said 'stop weighing all the time if you don't understand fluctuations and will drive yourself crazy if the number doesn't move'
  • jludwick78
    jludwick78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Only weigh once a week. That helps me keep from getting frustrated, because really, how much weight are we really going to lose in one day? I've lost 10 pounds in 13 weeks and one of those weeks I gained 2 pounds while only going over 1300 calories a day once. But the next week I was back down again. I blame water weight. It takes a long time to lose a significant amount of weight, so just stick to it.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I like weighing everyday... But can do it without being fixated on the number. I watch the trend, and find it easier to follow than a weekly measurement which may miss a low day.[/quote]

I definitely do too, but when you watch the trend for awhile you realize what your individual pattern is. Mine is hang in there at one weight for sometimes 10 days-2 weeks and then all of a sudden I'm down three or four pounds. I'm learning that this is the way I am and trying not to let it make me crazy!

Options
    Do not fixate on daily numbers. Weight loss isn't linear. Watch for trends. I will take this all to heart. Thank you!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    And be patient. Sounds like you have a handle on it.
    Options
    Yes. Patience. (My username is more of a goal than an established mindset. ;) )
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Do not fixate on daily numbers. Weight loss isn't linear. Watch for trends. I will take this all to heart. Thank you!

Also remember what you are really trying to do: lose fat. That will help to remind you that: 1) weight loss isn't linear, but fat loss can be close - though you might not be able to detect that because of fluctuations, and it depends on your consistency. 2) Losing fat will also help you to be able to do more stuff, which should also be a part of your goal.
    Options
    Yes. I have fibromyalgia and a bulging disk that presses on my sciatic. One of my main goals is to lose fat and lighten up to alleviate some pressure and pain so that I can do more and be more active. This is definitely important. Thank you for taking time to read and comment.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks the scale will move up a bit; some there will be no change; some you will see a big drop. Watch your trend over time.

This. I have around 5 years of weigh-in data at this point and it's all over the place, but throughout the up and downs there was a downward trend during my weight loss phase and now during maintenance an overall trend that stays steady month to month :) But, my weight can fluctuate up to 5lbs a day due to all sorts of things so sometimes my data looks like a roller coaster ride lol.
    Options
    Five years is a nice amount of experience! It is challenging not to be impatient when I see 37 pounds to lose. I am making a conscious effort to focus on steady, sustainable long-term results. Thank you for the encouragement!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You seem to have a great outlook. A couple more items:
    With 37 lbs to lose it is recommended to target 1 lb per week loss. Too fast of a loss will result in loss of more muscle, rather than mostly fat.
    There are things you can do to achieve weight loss, but you cannot "assure" a steady loss each & every week. The reasons have been mentioned above.
    Just set a plan, follow it, and develop good habits!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Getting plenty of sleep is super important too.
    Options
    Thank you lorrpb. I appreciate your mention of target weight loss in relation to the amount of weight to lose. I still don't quite understand if the amount to lose relative to the speed in which it is lost matters. I need to research this more. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. :)