Primal eating?

Options
ok I am intrigued by this Primal eating thing especially cuz I am not really loosing any weight. I dont know if weight watchers put me in starvation mode and my body is having to adjust or if it is because I also started working out at the same time and my body is trying to adjust big time or I have no idea what I am doing wrong. So I am reading about this primal thing. And I like what I see so far but..

Something I dont understand is the taking of beans out of our diet, I always thought those where power foods? Like really good for you in so many ways? And didnt paleolithic people have a hard time catching game and when they did it was shared? So I would think the diet would be almost completely fruits veggies nuts and some meat?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure beans are bad for you if they are not cooked first and primal eating can go all the way to eating raw if you were a die hard for this diet.
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    How much lean protein are you eating? Most times people can't lose weight, they are eating a large amount of carbs and very little protein
  • Gsc122
    Gsc122 Posts: 36
    Options
    Weight loss is always going to be about running a calorie deficit.how long have you been trying? A normal/healthy amount of weight loss is about 1 or 2 lbs a week, which isn't always immediately noticeable due to water weight.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Check into being a pescatarian...

I do mostly that, with a touch of the more "raw" side of paleo, but cut a lot of carbs (almost no bread at all, no pasta, rice only in sushi, etc) like in Atkins.

Since I'm more into maintaining, this is working really well! If I lose more, great, if not, at least I feel great!
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Check out marks daily apple. It has a lot of good info about primal eating.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    How much lean protein are you eating? Most times people can't lose weight, they are eating a large amount of carbs and very little protein

I think my diary is open to the public if you want to look at it for me. I actually dont usually eat a lot of carbs. lately I have been having to make a point to eat some especially if I know I am going to hit it really hard at the gym. Someone told me that it is important to get some carbs in before a work out. I mean I can give up my beans and such they are not my favorite but I dont mind them. But lately I have been crazy about edamame
  • TrishJimenez
    Options
    Weight loss is always going to be about running a calorie deficit.how long have you been trying? A normal/healthy amount of weight loss is about 1 or 2 lbs a week, which isn't always immediately noticeable due to water weight.

If you include weight watchers about 6 weeks. For the past week I though about doing the zig zag method. I guess I just need to find one thing and stick with it. And like you said, give it time. But I got impatient cuz I get fitted for my wedding dress in 3 weeks and was hoping to get at least down 10 lbs :(
  • Gsc122
    Gsc122 Posts: 36
    Options
    Purely my opinion, but I think a fad is a fad is a fad. ;) its possible that the twigs nuts and berries diet may be able to get you to lose more weight, by filling your belly with lots of low calorie fillers. But that's just another method off running a deficit. For a month a are what I wanted and just portion controlled it. I had hamburgers, pasta, french fries, eggs cooked in butter.

but through it all I kept track of my calories, and still lost about 5 pounds. I think my wife lost 3 trying the same thing.
  • TrishJimenez
    Options
    Purely my opinion, but I think a fad is a fad is a fad. ;) its possible that the twigs nuts and berries diet may be able to get you to lose more weight, by filling your belly with lots of low calorie fillers. But that's just another method off running a deficit. For a month a are what I wanted and just portion controlled it. I had hamburgers, pasta, french fries, eggs cooked in butter.

but through it all I kept track of my calories, and still lost about 5 pounds. I think my wife lost 3 trying the same thing.

That has usually been my method, and I have usually been able to keep my weight pretty stable but it started to creep up and now I cant get it back down and I had a few people tell me on weight watchers that maybe it is what I am eating and not how much. I think it might have something to do with turning 35
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options

Paleo/Primal, a concept that began in the 70s is a lifestyle much like being vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian. It involves extremely healthy eating, cutting out pretty much all processed foods, bad carbs, and emphasizes fruits, veggies and lean meats. Many people go paleo not just to lose weight. It's also a lifestyle that is promoted by crossfitters and elite athletes. There are a huge amount of health benefits to such a lifestyle. Losing weight is just a by-product of it. I'd hardly call it a fad.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

Paleo/Primal, a concept that began in the 70s is a lifestyle much like being vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian. It involves extremely healthy eating, cutting out pretty much all processed foods, bad carbs, and emphasizes fruits, veggies and lean meats. Many people go paleo not just to lose weight. It's also a lifestyle that is promoted by crossfitters and elite athletes. There are a huge amount of health benefits to such a lifestyle. Losing weight is just a by-product of it. I'd hardly call it a fad.

I'm with you - I'm in this pescatarian thing for the long haul!

But before going balls out on it, I ran it by my doc (who is my PCM And specializes in sports medicine). He checked all my blood stats and said that this is a good diet for me, as I outlined to him and earlier in this post.
    ^^ this is a step many forego in a desire for the quick fix. Please remember: Health first!!
  • awhoughton
    Options

Agree with you. This isn't a "fad" (or it is only a fad if you assume that the foods humans traditionally ate were a fad). Nor is it a "diet" for me. I wanted to lose a bit of weight when I started, but more importantly wanted to be healthy.

I've since lost about 20 lbs, dropped 7 pts off of my body fat %, and am lighter/healthier than I have been in over 10 years.

The other differentiator for me is that you eat until you are full. I track my foods fairly regularly to get an idea of what my macro percentages are (i.e., not too many carbs and enough fat), but otherwise eat as much as i want.

The big rules for me are
    1. No sugar / refined sugar
    2. No grains or typical flours (I eat some rice and some coconut or flax flour items)
    3. No vegetable oils

I don't emphasize lean meats as I don't want my protein numbers to go overly high. Healthy saturated and natural fats are welcome for me.