What do you avoid?

Options
What foods have you learned to avoid since you started tracking on MFP? For me it's been potatoes and cheese. I love both those in just about any form I can get them, but such small portions of either just gobble up my daily calories. So, now I make a conscious choice not to eat them. Went to Bubba's yesterday and had the fish and chips, but substituted steamed broccoli for the chips. It was still a good meal and I didn't blow all my calories for the day just on lunch.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    I don't really avoid anything, I just fit it in my calorie goal. Different from you I find that baked potatoes fill me up, and just a little cheese grated over them makes them even tastier. Of course my daily calories are 1900 not including the exercise calories. Even at the minimum recommended before exercise calories for a man (1500) it would not be difficult to fit in a potato. Usually the issue is the stuff put on them like piles of butter or sour cream or cheese. I don't often eat fried potatoes or french fries because of the calories, but when I do I plan for it. I don't avoid them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For health reasons, I avoid sugar, most starches, and high sugar fruits.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I probably should have added that if the OP has a health issue with certain foods or types of foods then avoiding them makes sense.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid anything because I want to be able to maintain my weight loss this time. If I am avoiding something temporarily......then I need to start a new strategy when I get to goal.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Eels. The thought of eating them, even in sushi, makes me cringe.
    Oh you can add oysters to that thought.

In reality- if I like it; I eat or drink it. Sometimes not as often or not as much, but nothing is off my radar.

Cheers, h.
  • JohnRoderick
    JohnRoderick Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Beer!! Can't stop at just one
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I probably should have added that if the OP has a health issue with certain foods or types of foods then avoiding them makes sense.

Yeah, theoretically I could just eat oreos, jujubes, and hot dogs to lose weight, but for health reasons, that would never happen.

For me, avoiding refined grains and sugar does assist in weight loss too. Those foods drive my appetite. Even if they were fine for me, as I believed in the past, I avoid them to lose weight - and did so in the past too.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy and pizza, but that's due to food allergies. I used to "cheat" and eat food with soy (because much is tasty and it's in nearly everything) but then the daughter of one of my dad's co-workers died at age 25 from doing the same thing, and I saw the light and became pretty strict about complying with my allergy avoidances.

But as far as avoiding foods? Nah. Although there are some foods I only find worth budgeting once in a blue moon, like milkshakes.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid anything but I have to start limiting rice. I can eat way too much because I love rice.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    A number of things due to a medical condition that is easily triggered by specific foods.

Other then that, I have not cut anything out of my diet.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I usually eat whatever fits in my calories- in moderation including candy etc. But certain things I can't buy- because I know I can't stop with just one- Nestlé treasures toffee version- I'm looking at you.... lol
  • Ericute321
    Ericute321 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The main things I found very useful to avoid once I started using fitness pal are butter, using much less cheese, cream, sugar or honey and milk (hazelnut milk is a good replacement for my coffee) as I realised that if I have 3 coffees a day that adds up to almost 200 calories just for milk
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    None. I may have made some changes (diet soda over regular), but I wouldn't say I'm avoiding them. Although a life without cheese is incredibly sad.

This.

I am avoiding low carb/keto due to digestive distress it puts me through. ;)