Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Beets. Blech.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I avoid buying and ordering french fries and nachos. If they are in front of me I tend to indulge a bit.... there's the challenge.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    dlptcb wrote: »
    What foods have you learned to avoid since you started tracking on MFP? For me it's been potatoes and cheese. I love both those in just about any form I can get them, but such small portions of either just gobble up my daily calories. So, now I make a conscious choice not to eat them. Went to Bubba's yesterday and had the fish and chips, but substituted steamed broccoli for the chips. It was still a good meal and I didn't blow all my calories for the day just on lunch.

i eat potatoes daily....sometimes twice xD i eat 10-15 pounds a week hah
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

crb426 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting a little tired of hearing "I eat everything I want and lose weight"? Yes, we get it. You only need to track calories to lose weight, but OP is asking a legitimate question that doesn't need holier-than-thou responses. And I know you want to tell me that there are no bad foods and you can fit anything into your goals, and I don't disagree... I'm just tired of it being stated over and over as a way to answer EVERY question. Might as well throw in the very helpful, but very repetitive flow chart.

ITT everyone (legitimately) answered the OP's question as it pertains to them though. "Nothing" is a valid answer.

The only way to avoid your tiredness with that stuff being a way to answer every question, would be to stick to questions that don't have that stuff as a valid answer. This question isn't one of them.
    But is it a valid answer? If you are really not avoiding anything... just seems unrealistic to me.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    @crb426 I know you have been around for a long time so these 2 things are reading as trite and repetitive to you, but there are new people joining daily and repeating is beneficial for them.

Also, it's an answer (among a myriad of others) to the question the OP asked. It just is. There's no getting around that. No alternative to avoiding the answer except to avoid the question.
  • comeonnow142857
    edited April 2017
    Options
    But is it a valid answer? If you are really not avoiding anything... just seems unrealistic to me.

Yes it is. "What foods do you avoid?" "Nothing". That's obviously a valid answer. It flat out answers the question, just as clearly as me answering with "bread."

I'm not sure what your issue with realism is, but it doesn't seem to be the complaint in your prior post.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Anyone else getting a little tired of hearing "I eat everything I want and lose weight"? Yes, we get it. You only need to track calories to lose weight, but OP is asking a legitimate question that doesn't need holier-than-thou responses. And I know you want to tell me that there are no bad foods and you can fit anything into your goals, and I don't disagree... I'm just tired of it being stated over and over as a way to answer EVERY question. Might as well throw in the very helpful, but very repetitive flow chart.

ITT everyone (legitimately) answered the OP's question as it pertains to them though. "Nothing" is a valid answer.

The only way to avoid your tiredness with that stuff being a way to answer every question, would be to stick to questions that don't have that stuff as a valid answer. This question isn't one of them.

Many people come on here believing they need to cut foods out to lose weight. It doesn't need to happen unless it's something you cannot moderate. I'm not saying I eat as much of those foods as I did before, but I haven't 100% eliminated anything.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid anything but I do limit foods with added sugar and refined carbs. They are part of my diet but as an occassional treat rather than a daily thing. However, you need to do what works for you in this journey and it is different for all.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Many people come on here believing they need to cut foods out to lose weight. It doesn't need to happen unless it's something you cannot moderate. I'm not saying I eat as much of those foods as I did before, but I haven't 100% eliminated anything.

But he didn't ask what you eliminate, just what you avoid.
  • comeonnow142857
    edited April 2017
    Options

But he didn't ask what you eliminate, just what you avoid.

So? for the purposes of this discussion they're sufficiently synonymous. Eg. I've eliminated/avoided bread. I mean the same thing whichever word I might pick that moment.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Crunchy and salty snacks. I just practically inhale whole bags and boxes of them. And forget trying to share the popcorn at the movies. Nope.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

Anyway, to answer your question OP. I avoid drinking my calories. A smoothie now and then is different, but soda will do nothing for my empty stomach and only add to my count.

And it is a legitimate answer to say nothing.
  • Islander4Life
    Islander4Life Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The only thing I avoid is overeating.

Well said.
  • frawley23
    frawley23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't drink non diet cordial at all and will drink diet fizzy cordial (soda) very rarely. It's just not worth it to me. I drink the occasional glass of juice or milo but generally I find drinks other than water, tea and coffee a waste of calories and purposefully avoid them.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I started out avoiding soy sauce because of the sodium content and potatoes because I was too dull-witted to realize that potatoes can be subdivided.

Since then I've resumed eating lots of sodium but haven't resumed soy sauce for some unknown reason, and have started using precisely weighed portions of potatoes within my calorie targets.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid french fries or most other potatoes when I eat at a restaurant, as it's the main dish I'm interested in spending my calories on. Used to get them all the time, and I'd just eat them cause they're there. But I get Wendy's french fries at least once a month because they make me happy and are great dipped in the chili.

I pretty much switched from regular soda to diet soda when I started trying to lose weight, and now I'm not sure why I wasn't drinking diet soda all along. Coke Zero and Diet Dr. Pepper are da bomb :)

I eat roasted and baked potatoes rather often though at home. They really aren't that calorie dense considering the volume in my opinion, it's all the oil or butter that make them calorie bombs when you eat out. And I love cheese, but I never had a problem overeating it. I actually will either have a string cheese, some ricotta cheese, or mozzarella cheese almost every day.

I honestly don't avoid anything else. I have some things a little less often (like alcohol and doritos) but I've gotten really good at fitting all the food into 1600 cals, practice makes perfect I guess. Best of luck :)
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    "White" food... Bread, rice, noodles, tortillas etc and processed foods. Hard as hell but its what works for me.