Is maintenance REALLY harder than losing weight?

Options
Someone said to me that it was almost time for "the hard part" when I told them I was near my goal weight.

But is it really harder? I don't plan on changing my exercise routine or foods that I eat, but I am definitely looking forward to eating 500-600 more calories per day!

Replies

• LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    For me it is actually easier, provided that I'm pretty active. I'm currently trying to lose baby weight and it is way harder than maintaining was.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It can be for some. I seem to be doing better at it than weight loss.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Not harder for me. Just a different objective achieved in a different way.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Harder for me but only because I'm hungrier now than I was when I was losing. But it could be due to age/hormones as I'm also 4 years older!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm going to find out for the next two weeks. I've decided that 1) I haven't taken a diet break in almost 6 months and 2) Passover starts tomorrow night, I'm spending the next couple of weeks at my parents, and most of my proteins staples aren't permitted (I'm vegetarian and all legumes and grains, with the exception of quinoa are verboten, leaving me with eggs, dairy, quinoa, and nuts.) Less variety, more basic recipes I can't make or need to retool... no access to my usual exercise equipment, won't have as much time for long walks...

Let's just say that it's probably possible to keep to a deficit. I've done it before on Weight Watchers. But I'd like to be a bit less stressed and be mindful—not obsessive—over what I eat in my parents' house. Add in some of the wisdom I've seen on these boards about taking a maintenance break after 8 weeks eating in a deficit and... I guess I'm overdue.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have been enjoying the additional food. It's been nice to add a few things back to my diet that I couldn't budget calories for while I was "cutting" like peanut butter and some real starches. I think what makes it the most difficult is changing the mind set. Setting new goals is a great idea, but my new goals are not as tangible as that weight loss goal we all set for ourselves. New goals like recomposition, physical fitness, muscle tone, etc are not as measurable. The most frustrating goal of all is the weight range we set for ourselves in maintenance. I have changed mine a bunch but sooner or later when it settles in to a healthy range, I can see myself really obsessing over it. My weight is all over the place in maintenance within a very small window. I find I am constantly adjusting calories when it looks like I have had a small gain or loss. I think the word for maintenance is not that it is more "difficult"but maybe it's more "frustrating". We all enjoyed our success losing weight but none of us want to go through that again so we are now determined to keep it off, and doing that can be very frustrating.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I don't find maintenance to be harder than losing. The hardest for me are billing cycles, but that's because I don't log, so it's hard to find the "sweet spot" for gaining without going crazy and getting fat.