Eat before or after workout??

Options
Is it better to eat before and after a workout, before only, after only? Lately I've been eating something small or doing half a protein shake before I workout just so I have something in my stomach (workouts are in the AM) and then I eat my "real" breakfast afterwards. But I'm not sure how the best way to go about it is. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you. Some people perform better on an empty stomach, others need to eat beforehand.
  • Joanneelverson
    Joanneelverson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you want to loose weight then it's better to work out before eating that way you are burning calories stored rather than what you have eaten. That's only my opinion like other person said you have to do what's best for you.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. I normally eat 2-3 hours before I go the gym. Sometimes something small right before. I try to eat small meals throughout the day.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Generally, I think my performance is better if I have something in my system, but I do most of my eating after.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you want to loose weight then it's better to work out before eating that way you are burning calories stored rather than what you have eaten. That's only my opinion like other person said you have to do what's best for you.

This is a common opinion, but it is incorrect. Exercising on an "empty" stomach has no separate effect on fat loss. Some people like to do it for personal comfort, but that's a separate issue.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Losing weight is about eating in a deficit. CICO. One can lose weight eating 3000 calories before their training if they stay in a deficit throughput the day.

OP do what works for you. Generally speaking there isn't a right or wrong when it comes to eating preferences if it works for you in long term.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that it's personal preference. I usually eat something small beforehand because sometimes if I don't I feel awfully lightheaded and a bit sick. I normally eat after as well as I'm usually starving after working out haha.
  • phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If I'm just out for a run then I can get by on an empty stomach, but my group workout sessions tend towards high intensity so if I've not eaten I start to burn out very early.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

This is incorrect.

Think about your bank account.

If you start the day with $100 in it and at 10 a.m. deposit $25 and then at 1 p.m. withdraw $50, you end the day with $75 in the bank.

If you start the day with $100 in it and at 10 a.m. withdraw $50 and then at 1 p.m. deposit $25, you still end the day at $75.

To the extent that it matters, your body works similarly when dealing with the energy available to it. Choosing to eat before you exercise or after you exercise isn't going to make a measurable difference.

If you're just trying to lose weight and get in shape, meal timing just comes down to personal preference. Eat when you eat based on how you feel and what is convenient for your schedule. It's better not to get caught up in the minutiae.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It depends on your workout. A morning lifting workout it wouldn't be bad to hit 20g BCAAs and maybe 20g L-glutamine beforehand and a high-protein breakfast afterwards for better muscle protein synthesis.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I do both, a little yoghurt and some fruit before, and a couple boiled eggs or protein bar after.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I eat after. If I am doing cardio ( muay thai class) I need to leave around 2 hours otherwise I feel sick in the class.