My Insanity progress and accountability thread

Options
BeautyNovice
BeautyNovice Posts: 44 Member
edited March 2017 in Success Stories
I started working on my health and fitness (again) on January 1 '17. I was mostly half-assed at the time, but I had an accountability partner, and by making tweaks each week, I eventually got to where I am today.

I'm currently doing 16:8 intermittent fasting (IF), tracking my macros with a 40/30/30 ratio, eating about 1500 calories a day. I workout 6 days a week, and just started the Insanity program. I wear a Fitbit daily.

My progress from the start of the year has been slow, only 5 pounds. Even now, with what I feel is the right program in place for me, the scale doesn't really move. But I got a DXA scan last weekend, and I'll get one at the end of the program to see how I'm progressing, even if the scale doesn't move.

I'll post here at least weekly to track my progress. I'm including photos comparing the start of the year to now, and one to mark the start of Insanity.

If you'd like to post at least weekly to share your progress and hold yourself accountable, jump in and introduce yourself.
4wfa2lptf5tr.jpg
krategk94v8d.jpg
0uorkkh5dn06.jpg
u66fmein5tv9.jpg

Replies

• BeautyNovice
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Well, I'm going to post my photos once I figure out how. eta: figured it out!
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Love Chalean!
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    great progress!
  • naladog77
    naladog77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OK I want to join in on this.
  • BeautyNovice
    Options
    Please do!
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    How are you liking Turbo Fire? I really like TurboJam
  • BeautyNovice
    Options
    How are you liking Turbo Fire? I really like TurboJam

TurboFire is awesome. It's faster than TurboJam, but just as fun. It wipes me out!
  • BeautyNovice
    Options
    Week ending 4/8:
    Food: A
    Exercise: C
    Water: B
    Weigh-in: -1.8

Food:
    I managed to do my food prep early in the week and had what I needed every day. I continued to have issues with my energy, and I think there were a number of issues at play.

One is digestion. I have a history of issues with my digestion. I experimented with some different supplementation last week. I think it started to have an impact late in the week and hopefully that will continue and will have a positive impact on my overall energy.

I've been doing intermittent fasting (16:8) which has generally been wonderful, but I'd been accustomed to a vitamin regimen in the morning which impacted my energy. I expected my body would adjust and it just hasn't. So I'm taking a break from intermittent fasting. Not changing my calories or macros, so I don't expect any impact other than increased energy to start the day.

Exercise:
    I continued to struggle significantly with my exercise. I only logged exercise on my Fitbit 4 of 7 days last week. 7 of 7 is much more typical, with that 7th day being an extended walk. I'm certain the energy issues were one factor. I think another is that I'm transitioning from a workout program I was loving, and I haven't found that perfect next workout that burns calories the way I want that I also enjoy and look forward to completing. I'm going to do a little more experimenting this week and see if I can't land in a good place with a goal of 6 workouts this week.

Have a good week!
  • dorisj717
    dorisj717 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Good work keep it up. It takes time to find what works for you so keep doing what your doing and tweaking your program. Remember, it's a journey not a race; it's a way of life.
  • BeautyNovice
    Options
    Week ending 4/15:
    Exercise: A (9 hours, 1 minute)
    Water: A
    Weigh in: -0.2

It's been a good week!

Food:
    I didn't do food prep to start the week, but managed to eat to my goals regardless. I discovered a new lunch staple - simple but surprisingly tasty - cottage cheese and tuna. Who knew?

I continued to have digestive issues, so I'm continuing to monitor and tweak. I found an app to help me track. It's called LogLog for the Android. Cute, no?

Exercise:
    I found it! My current program is ChaLean Extreme. For those unfamiliar, it's a Beachbody program focused on resistance training. 3 days of heavy lifting, a HIIT interval workout for muscle endurance, a HIIT cardio workout and a flexibility workout weekly. It's a 3-month program. It's exactly what I'm looking for right now. It works me. It burns fewer calories than the cardio program I completed. But I feel completely spent at the end of the workout, I'm strength training, and - most importantly - I look forward to doing it!

This week I'm primarily focused on consistent wake up and workout times, with a secondary focus of eating more salads. Have a great week!
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Love HIIT. Have another great week!
  • BeautyNovice
    Options
    Week ending 4/22:
    Exeecise: B (7 hours 1 minute)
    Water: B
    Weigh-in: -1.8

Food:
    I had another good week of eating. I did some meal prep over the weekend and planned each day ahead of time. I forgot to mention last week that I'm back to intermittent fasting. I'd tried a couple days of full day eating and I was so much hungrier. So I went back to intermittent fasting and started taking my supplement in the morning. So food feels really good. It's really working well for me.

I did feel like I might be experiencing a little diet fatigue late in the week. So I worked in a little treat, and that totally did the trick. Since I've been eating this way, I haven't had a lot of cravings. But this way of eating is so flexible, I can work in treats when I want them.

Exercise:
    I skipped two of my planned workouts this week. I took a swim lesson one of the days I skipped. I got plenty of exercise, but I don't like skipping my planned workouts.

This week I was focusing on getting up at a consistent time each day and getting to my workout. Failed every day, so I'll try again this week. Also, I'm going to practice what I learned during my swim lesson this week so I should be burning some extra calories this week.

Have a good one!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I Love reading this! I really like how committed you are and how well you are tracking your goals and successes. I'm definitely going to continue following your progress! You are so motivating.
  • BeautyNovice
    Options
    Week ending 4/29:
    Exercise: A (7 hours 27 minutes)
    Water: A
    Weigh-in: -2.0

Food:
    I've had a really good week overall. Not a lot of challenges with food last week. I had an in-house lunch at work, but decided to bring and eat my own food and that all went smoothly. Wasn't as awkward as I anticipated. I've moved to a model of cold lunches and hot dinners, which means I can do my meal prep every other week and freeze the second week's dinners. That's working well and helping me keep up with the food prep schedule. I love flexible dieting because I can enjoy ice cream after dinner with zero guilt. 16:8 is also still working really well for me. This week I have a work related off-site (2 days) which means group lunches and an evening of dinner and drinks. I'm going to pre-track my macros for the day, but I'm going to be comfortable with going out of bounds a bit. I'm interested to see how I manage with summer coming which may mean a more active social calendar.

Exercise:
    Continuing the journey of doing what works for me and what keeps me excited about my program, last week I focused on completing the three heavy-lifting days of ChaLEAN Extreme, and allowed myself flexibility around the cardio the rest of the week. The result was that I was able to meet my exercise goals with ease.

Other:
    I had a Resting Metabollic Rate test last week. I'll spare you all the details, but the bottom line is that it helped me get a more realistic picture of how I burn calories (HRM's aren't completely accurate, but useful and I love them. Helps to have proper perspective.) I was able to use the combination of the test results and my Fitbit data to get closer to my actual calorie burn. Still not completely accurate because I exceeded my 1.5 pound weekly loss goal, but that could even out over time. Bottom line though, is that I'm feeling extremely empowered in my fitness journey.

Next week I have an appointment for my second dexa scan. I look forward to evaluating my progress and sharing my results.

Have a great week.
  • Mahdi22
    Mahdi22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have a quick question. I want to buy a Fitbit but I'm not sure if it will accurately track my calories burned. Should I buy it to see how many calories I burn during my insanity workouts? Also, which Fitbit should I buy?
  • starsandshxt
    starsandshxt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So excited to see what happens! Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!