Diabetic

Options
I am TRYING to control my sugar. I am a type 2 diabetic, & I am eating too many carbs plus sweets.
How can I record & manage my sugar?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I also have insulin resistance. I have found the best way for me to manage sugars is avoid them as much as possible, including many/most fruits.

I eat LCHF (low carb high fat) so I keep my carbs very low (always under 50g of carbs per day) but some find they do okay with carbs at 100g or even up to 150g. If your disease has progressed to insulin use you may need to eat at the lower end of the LCHF spectrum.

It's a bit of a switch to cut out the fillers of noodles, bread, potatoes, and rice, but doing so can start affecting your blood glucose within days. Basically, if it came from plants it should not be eaten too freely - especially grains (flours), sugars, and high GI tropical fruit.

A couple of books that can be VERY helpful for T2Ds are: Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solutions, which is a low carb high fat plan which works great, or Obesity Code by Fung, which is a LCHF plan too but it also incorporates fasting.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Try pre-logging so you can see what you can eat to hit your goals
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am also Type 2. I log my food into MFP and I really just pay attention to my carbs and I usually keep those under 100g with my net carbs (total carbs minus fiber) being 60-70 most days. I would also agree with logging to see where you can improve. It is always a work in progress with some days being better than others. I would also agree with reading as much as you can. Are you testing your blood sugar as well? This is often the best way to see if how you are eating is agreeing with you.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest looking into HIIT workouts. I tell my trainers that its 30 minutes of hell a day to live a normal life for 23 and a half hours. Since I started HIIT my sugar has dropped 120 points to an average of 122. I eat roughly 150 carbs a day. For us its got to be a combination of watching what we eat and exercise for the best success.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You should also check out the Low-Carber Daily Forum group, it's full of people who are eating low-carb for a variety of reasons, including diabetes. My wife was diagnosed with T2 about a year ago, it's been a big adjustment for us. It's about figuring out what carbs are worth it and which you can leave behind. There are tons of modifications and tips out there.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You should also check out the Low-Carber Daily Forum group, it's full of people who are eating low-carb for a variety of reasons, including diabetes. My wife was diagnosed with T2 about a year ago, it's been a big adjustment for us. It's about figuring out what carbs are worth it and which you can leave behind. There are tons of modifications and tips out there.

So true. A number of us in that group use a LCHF diet to control T2D. :)
  • jill5280
    jill5280 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi...I am diabetic and working to control my body's reaction to carbs. I am working with a dietician and on a LCHF plan. It is working well for me. I have cut out all bread, pasta and grain products and don't miss it at all. I only eat fruit occasionally as I discovered that the "spike" in my finger stick blood sugar results is dramatic. The dietician has me observing my blood sugars at very specific times of day (before and 2 hours post meals/before and after exercise and before bed/middle of the night (if I awake) and in the morning. I do finger sticks when I introduce a previously "untested" food to my meal plan to see what the immediate reaction is within my body. The goal, of course, is to have the post meal finger stick to be within 20 points of the pre-meal to keep that "spike" to a minimum. Sometimes the food that is causing the elevated finger stick results isn't even a carb (rare, but it happens) so it is worth doing the testing and keeping notes on when the elevations happen, what you ate, what you are doing, how you are feeling. Good luck!