It Came To Me In A Dream...

I would like to be a well-rounded healthy person. Make that WELL but not ROUNDED - LOL. Anyway I have been looking for something to complement what I already do for physical activity. The treadmill/running is great physically, and yoga is great spiritually. I wanted something that would sharpen my reflexes AND my mind. Last night I dreamed that I took up boxing. It came to me out of nowhere.

I woke up kind of chuckling, but the more I thought about it, the more enthused I became. It seems like just the ticket. I need to find a welcoming gym that won't snicker when a 62-year old woman walks in and asks to be trained in boxing.

Anyone else out there doing it? Any thoughts/opinions/tips/whatever.....??????

Replies

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    I have no experience in boxing, but I wanted to comment because I often get solutions to my problems in dreams. Weird ones but good ones. Good luck!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    I think this is awesome! Maybe you can take the first step at home with a punching bag or a speed bag. You can get a bag and gloves and wraps for under $100. I'm not a boxer by any means, but I started that way and found it to be a great workout, and a fantastic stress relief! Stressed? Angry? Mad? Just tape a pic of someones face that is troubling you onto the punching bag, and have at it! ;)

I'm certain you can find a boxing gym that will train you, but it may take a while to find them. I'd start by calling around, then follow up with a visit. Good luck!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Hey don't prejudge people in the gym. Most people would be impressed that at your age, you're still young, would want to push themselves and try something you.

Yes you will have the *kitten* who may snicker but to be honest with you most people in the gym really don't pay attention to you. we're there for our own goals and yes we may look in the beginning but after that you just one of the gym rats.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I love kickboxing! Check in your area, there may be a women's kickboxing class, at least until you become more comfortable. Likewise, if you are looking for boxing without the kicking part. But trust me, the kicking is a lot of fun too!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited April 2017
    Plus, if they laugh (they won't ), it would only be until they see you could smack them down! :smiley:
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Excellent way to get answers to our greatest passions is to dream. I say go for it. Sounds perfect for you.
  • Cyndi3wy
    Cyndi3wy Posts: 9 Member
    How fantastic! Do it! If I saw you in the gym I'd be inspired to do more.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I took up roller derby in my out of shape mid 30s, you can do anything you put your mind to and are thoughtful about!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    I'm not sure where you are, but I'd check out the local pcyc or YMCA or similar depending on your country. Boxing is fantastic for the reflexes as is any type of martial arts. I'm in my 30's and I want to learn Tai chi. Some may say I'm too young. I say pfft. Let's prove them wrong together
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Enjoy your boxing! Sounds cool!

I cycle a lot and have a 120 acre farm (always doing work there)...so, in a weaker moment, I signed up for a mini-triathlon later this summer (1/2 mile swim, 15 miles cycling, and a 5k).

Because of this "moment of weakness" I had to add running and swimming to my workout routine. Swimming has turned out to be the surprise fun workout for. Maybe because it is a new routine or maybe because I found out I am decent at it (or both)...but I look forward to it. It also is a total body workout...the closest I can come to approximating a good swim workout on dry land is to clear brush or to cut firewood for a couple of hours...cutting, splitting, stacking, and dragging.