Protein shakes

Options
I do spin classes and also metafit each week, work really hard but haven't lost a pound. I think I need to rd look at my eating pattern. I don't have tea before the gym as I think o would be sick so eat after. What are people's experiences of protein shakes. Any advice would be great. Thx

Replies

• kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are good. Most of the protein intake should be from food. After training you can have the shake. Once you go home then can eat a low carb meal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sashd77 wrote: »
    I do spin classes and also metafit each week, work really hard but haven't lost a pound. I think I need to rd look at my eating pattern. I don't have tea before the gym as I think o would be sick so eat after. What are people's experiences of protein shakes. Any advice would be great. Thx

Losing weight is calories in vs. calories out. You can eat plenty of healthy foods & still be over on calories. If you aren't losing weight tighten up on your logging.

A protein shake is great if you aren't currently meeting your protein goals, but they won't help you lose weight. Macros - protein, fat & carbs are about health, satiety, and personal preference.

No need for a low carb meal unless you have medical issues or you prefer to eat that way. Again, it's calories first, second and so on.
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes once or twice a day because I am on a medication-induced restricted diet, and for me they are a source of protein, carbs, and calories. My roommate uses them on top of her daily nutrition if she is still hungry since she is working on bulking up and gaining muscle mass and is doing heavy lifting most days.
    Essentially, the way I view protein shakes is that if you don't have time to eat a meal, it's nice to grab a protein bar or a protein shake to tide you over to your next meal, or if you're low on protein for your day, it's an easy supplement. If you have a medical/fitness reason, as instructed by a trained professional, to introduce extra protein into your diet, enjoy.
    However, if you aren't losing weight and are hoping that protein shakes will help, please understand that they are only one tiny factor in meeting your health and fitness goals. They certainly have their benefits, but not having a protein shake every day is unlikely to be the reason for your lack of weight loss.
    Like you said, you may need an RD to look at your food choices and patterns and help you construct an eating plan that works best for you and your needs (which may or may not include protein supplements), possibly in conjunction with your doctor. Plus, as @TeaBea said above me- you may just need to tighten up on your logging a bit.
    Good luck! I hope things start to shake out for you soon!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Look at your eating quantity not your eating pattern.
    An eating pattern may help you adhere to a suitable calorie goal but that's it really.

Adding extra food (in the form of a protein shake) when you aren't losing isn't likely to help.

My experience of protein shakes - a convenient and calorie efficient way to meet my protein goal if I haven't met it through my usual food.

Don't look at your exercise to lose weight, it's a minor player in your calorie balance.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I like to mix a little carbs, fat and protein post-workout. My go-to snack is a Quest protein shake made with 2oz almond milk, and a piece of flat-out flax bread with almond butter. About 300 cals, good macros and satisfying mix of sweet and salty.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    sashd77 wrote: »

Losing weight is calories in vs. calories out. You can eat plenty of healthy foods & still be over on calories. If you aren't losing weight tighten up on your logging.

A protein shake is great if you aren't currently meeting your protein goals, but they won't help you lose weight. Macros - protein, fat & carbs are about health, satiety, and personal preference.

No need for a low carb meal unless you have medical issues or you prefer to eat that way. Again, it's calories first, second and so on.

This sums it up perfectly. To the original poster just cuz you're eating healthy doesn't mean you'll lose weight automatically. A McDonald's hamburger can have less calories than a healthy salad

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are convenient food, not magic. 100 Calories, 20g protein. It either fits with your calories and protein, or it doesn't.
  • ABballet4227
    ABballet4227 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I prefer to put protein powder into a smoothie with whichever fruits and veggies I have handy. You could also just put peanut butter of silken tofu into smoothies as well.
    You can get good vitimans and stay full for longer by blending a smoothie than with a protein shake in my experience.