Post Concussion Syndrome & Exercise

Options
I posted this in another category but realize this one might be a better fit since I'm asking questions and not giving advice. So apologies if this is x-posted.

I got a concussion 13 months ago (over a year). I suffer from post concussion syndrome, meaning I have the symptoms of post concussion. I get migraines everyday. I have a hard time focusing. I'm sensitive to light. My brain can get tired easily and hurt. I remember when I tried to exercise and jog, my brain would get foggy and vision would get worse. Also dealt with anxiety and depression to some degree (had to put career on hold).

I'm a tiny girl. I've noticed my weight gain but when you're practically debilitated, exercise is the last thing on your mind (at least mine). I've gained 20lbs in the course of 13 months. And I'm so embarrassed. Sometimes my family comments on my weight/fat and while still dealing with PCS so I'm down a bit sometimes.

I'm not fully recovered. I'm better than where I was last year, but I still get headaches everyday. At least I'm able to walk a bit now. I just put on a hat and sunglasses. My question with people who have ever been through this or something similar, how did you start to lose weight? What are some of the things you're also eating? Also how did you get into the mental space to do it? For me, like I said, this is really really embarrassing that I'm at my heaviest and right now walking is kind of all I can really handle.

Replies

• strifechick
    strifechick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have chronic migraines which seem to have very similar symptoms (and just as an aside I did have a concussion from car accident a little over a year ago so there could be a little overlap idk much about side effects from it).

I personally just have to watch what and how much exercises I do. I can do weights but I need to do more reps of less weight because if I try to lift too much it's too much exertion and will trigger symptoms and pretty similar with cardio I can do a fair amount of time as long as I don't push the intensity to high. Like instead of running a lot I will alternate between light jogging and walking and do the elliptical.

Food wise I really just have to experiment with what works for me and doesn't trigger a migraine (or stomach issues that I have) I eat a decent amount of fruits and raw veggies (that's mainly preference I don't like cooked ones as much) and I personally need to have some caffeine every now and then (others have negative problems with it, but it helps me as long as it's in small amounts) so I will have an energy drink every couple days if I am feeling especially down.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have not been through this, but what you need to lose fat is a calorie deficit. That can come from cutting back food intake, increasing activity, or some combination of the two. What all three options have in common is the absolute necessity of controlling calorie intake. My point in this is that you can lose by eating at a calorie deficit without any exercise. In fact, you can lose eating the same types of foods you eat now, just in smaller portions. You will likely eventually want to change up what you eat, not to lose faster, but rather to help stick to your calorie goal. Having said that, at this point I would suggest put your information into the goal setter on Myfitnesspal. Select no more that 1 pound per week, and log what you eat up to the calorie goal it give you. Ideally weighing all solids including those grated or ground, and using a liquid measure (measuring spoons or cups) for all liquids. If you log accurately, you will start to lose weight.

As I said, you might over time want to modify what you eat to help with compliance to your calorie goal. Veggies, for example, have a lot of bulk but few calories. That means they can fill you up physically without a big calorie hit. A good bonus is they are full of nutrients that are good for you. Protein also tends to help keep a person feeling full, so it can help you more comfortably stick to your calorie goal.

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    As someone that has suffered the same thing last year into this year, the key is taking it easy. I had to focus more on my intake than worrying about exercising. But once I felt okay enough, I began running and lifting again. It's hard, but it's a matter of waiting it out. In the mean time, focus on intake. When I was dealing with mine, I maintained rather than eat at a deficit so my body could heal. It wasn't ideal, but it worked.
  • gaveupheart
    gaveupheart Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    As someone that has suffered the same thing last year into this year, the key is taking it easy. I had to focus more on my intake than worrying about exercising. But once I felt okay enough, I began running and lifting again. It's hard, but it's a matter of waiting it out. In the mean time, focus on intake. When I was dealing with mine, I maintained rather than eat at a deficit so my body could heal. It wasn't ideal, but it worked.

When you started running and lifting again, did you still have symptoms? My vision is still funny and not quite back to its normal state.

Anyways thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll focus on my intake and log my food as the first step to make sure I don't overeat and continue with a few walks a week or whatever I can handle at first.
  • miss_kris_
    miss_kris_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hope you see this message since I see it’s almost a year since you’ve posted. I’m experiencing the exact same thing and have been extremely upset about it. I’ve been very active for a very long time and would also consider myself a small girl I usually weight about 110. Since my concussion 6 months ago I’ve gained over 20 pounds and can’t do the number one thing I love, run. I’m just wondering how long it took you to recover and if cutting back calories helped you lose some weight without exercise?
  • gaveupheart
    gaveupheart Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    miss_kris_ wrote: »
    I hope you see this message since I see it’s almost a year since you’ve posted. I’m experiencing the exact same thing and have been extremely upset about it. I’ve been very active for a very long time and would also consider myself a small girl I usually weight about 110. Since my concussion 6 months ago I’ve gained over 20 pounds and can’t do the number one thing I love, run. I’m just wondering how long it took you to recover and if cutting back calories helped you lose some weight without exercise?

Hi Miss_Kris_, It has been a year since I've posted this. A year makes a lot of difference. I'm now post concussion 25/26 months now (over 2 years since my accident). Since posting, I took advice and started on calorie deficit. I cut the carbs and processed food. I lost about 15-20lbs. I focused on more of a diet where I ate real foods rather than eating popcorn or "healthy chips" as a snack and ate fruit or vegetables. I also did walking because that was the best I could do.

I'm also on different medications now & have found other ways to heal/focus on getting better. I still have PCS. I now do barre as exercise and will start to incorporate jogging back in very soon! It takes time, so I hope you start slow.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I got Traumatic brain injury and had to retire from the Marine Corps in 2013. It was my fifth unconscious concussion and my brain said no more. I was a very social out going and turned inward, got PTSD as a result and suffered severe anxiety and depression. I started doing yoga which really seemed to have helped on all fronts. It got me out of the house, relaxed and it was a mild form of exercise that didn't hurt my head. It took a couple years but now I can distance run, spin, lift and P90X. Slow and steady wins the race. It is a hard spot to be in. Another thing I found to be hard was that since PCS/TBI isn't visible, people don't understand your symptoms. Take the best care of you that you can.