Losing 4 pounds/week. Is this good?

Options
Hi. I've lost roughly 8.5 lbs in 15 days through just calorie counting (consuming 1400 cals per day). My BMI is 23.7 (180 lbs,6'). Is this advisable? How can I ensure that I lose only fat and no muscle?

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You aren't eating nearly enough. You can ensure you aren't losing muscle and only fat by eating at a small deficit, getting adequate protein, and lifting. It's normal to lose rapidly the first few weeks, but yours is far more than normal due to you seriously under eating.

This, though I would add that, as I understand it, there isn't really a way to guarantee that you will lose 0% muscle and 100% fat. As you lose weight, you lose both, unfortunately. The adequate protein, reasonable deficit, and lifting help preserve as much muscle as possible, though.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    No, it's bad. It's bad because you're massively undereating especially when you're already at a healthy weight for your height.
  • nicolepburgess91
    nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating nearly enough. You can ensure you aren't losing muscle and only fat by eating at a small deficit, getting adequate protein, and lifting. It's normal to lose rapidly the first few weeks, but yours is far more than normal due to you seriously under eating.

You say he is seriously under eating. But he said he is consuming 1400 calories a day. That's correct for weight loss with someone of his size. MFP tells me to consume 1200 a day. He isn't under eating unless he is highly active.

OP: what is your activity level like? Are you working out? Doing a lot of cardio? If you are, it's considered healthy to make sure you eat those calories back. 1400 is already a deficit. So be sure you aren't going below that by working out and not eating those calories back.
    If you're not working out and are still losing that, consider seeing your doctor. Or go over your food log with a nutritionist. You may have a metabolism that requires more than 1400 calories a day.
    It's also important WHAT you're eating. So, that's why I suggest seeing a doctor or nutritionist. They can help you determine the appropriate nutrition requirements for your body type, health status and activity level.
    Regardless congrats on the weight loss.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

You say he is seriously under eating. But he said he is consuming 1400 calories a day. That's correct for weight loss with someone of his size. MFP tells me to consume 1200 a day. He isn't under eating unless he is highly active.

OP: what is your activity level like? Are you working out? Doing a lot of cardio? If you are, it's considered healthy to make sure you eat those calories back. 1400 is already a deficit. So be sure you aren't going below that by working out and not eating those calories back.
    If you're not working out and are still losing that, consider seeing your doctor. Or go over your food log with a nutritionist. You may have a metabolism that requires more than 1400 calories a day.
    It's also important WHAT you're eating. So, that's why I suggest seeing a doctor or nutritionist. They can help you determine the appropriate nutrition requirements for your body type, health status and activity level.

She's right though. The recommended amount for a male is no less than 1500 calories. I eat more than that and lose.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would think most of that weight along with some fat may just be water weight. I easily lose 10-12 lbs of water weight initially when I restart cutting after a long bulk. Water weight is especially lost during a keto style diet. I'm 6'0

Lift weights and get plenty of protein to minimize muscle loss.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

A 6ft 180lb man should not be eating 1400 calories. I'm a 5ft5 woman, 145lbs, eating more than that to lose weight.

The recommended minimum for men is 1500, and he likely can eat way more than that. I'm not sure he'd have a lot of weight to lose.... Putting on muscle would probably be a better idea, doing recomp if he thinks he has fat to lose.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

This, though I would add that, as I understand it, there isn't really a way to guarantee that you will lose 0% muscle and 100% fat. As you lose weight, you lose both, unfortunately. The adequate protein, reasonable deficit, and lifting help preserve as much muscle as possible, though.

At his age and if he's new to lifting he may gain muscle. You're right though, nobody can guarantee that weight loss will be 100% fat.
  • DarkHorse8765
    DarkHorse8765 Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Activity level is nil currently due to exams. Since MFP was recommending 1580 calories a day for 1kg/week with a target of 165lbs. I was following that with a bit of additional margin. Probably I should reduce the targeted loss rate and start lifting/other strength based exercises. Thanks for the insight.
  • DarkHorse8765
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Daddy78230 wrote: »
    I would think most of that weight along with some fat may just be water weight. I easily lose 10-12 lbs of water weight initially when I restart cutting after a long bulk. Water weight is especially lost during a keto style diet. I'm 6'0

Lift weights and get plenty of protein to minimize muscle loss.

Yeah I think that may be the case.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to lose a lot when you first start. It will taper off eventually.
    Definitely get enough protein and lift weight as you go.
  • DarkHorse8765
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the guidance everyone. Will take it into account and refocus.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Agree with dialing back the targeted rate, with a small amount to lose you should be shooting for a half-pound per week loss.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Since you're already at a healthy weight, yes that's too much. You should be aiming to lose at most a pound a week, and more likely half a pound a week.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I would recommend aiming to lose 0.5 pounds a week since you're at a healthy weight. I agree with the users who also mentioned mentioned adding strength training.
  • nicolepburgess91
    nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected. I wasnt considering the fact that he is male. I get stuck in feminine calorie goals and often forget that men have to eat more. Sorry about that y'all
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected. I wasnt considering the fact that he is male. I get stuck in feminine calorie goals and often forget that men have to eat more. Sorry about that y'all

No worries. Even for women, that rate of loss is dangerous. It can cause long term health issues.
  • Makeitso39
    Makeitso39 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you're studying for exams OP, the last thing you should be is under nourished.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose weight at all? Let alone at such an aggressive pace? Your BMI is well within the "normal" range and at 6' it isn't a bad thing to be on the higher portion of the normal range. Your post reads like someone who is trying to go against every weight loss guideline there is. At this point, there is nothing to be gained by calorie restriction without exercise.