High Protein Breakfast

Options
Hello,

I'm looking for some ideas due to a change in my routine.
I need a high protein breakfast that is quick, easy, inexpensive, gluten and lactose free.
And not an omelette! Lol!

Help!

Replies

• rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Protein shake? Make your own?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person and I don't like to mess around with prepping and cooking in the morning. So I usually just eat a protein bar and a piece of fruit. It's quick and easy and keeps me going for quite awhile.
  • phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Steak
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lately I've been frying two eggs, putting that over a spinach spring mix (just have a bin of it in the fridge), some sliced tomatoes, and top it with guacamole and sriracha. Takes about 5 minutes to prep, I like the egg yolks to be liquid.

Edit: oh, and if 2 eggs aren't enough protein, I'll add on a chicken sausage link or two - they're precooked and I throw them in the microwave for 30 seconds. Just make sure to fork them like you would a potato or they might explode :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    phrobbert wrote: »
    Steak

.... wrapped in bacon.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I mix protein powder into plain greek yogurt, and then add frozen berries. About 300 calories, 50 grams of protein.

76sg571k3o2l.jpg
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Some interesting suggestions here. Not sure steak wrapped in bacon comes into the inexpensive category though! Lol!

I make my own smoothie type breakfast most days but as I will now have the chance to sit and eat something I'm looking to make the most of it.
    The spinach thing looks interesting but I hate raw tomatoes and am a little egged out. I'm also not sure what sarracha (however you spell it) is. Still, gives me an idea to work on!

Keep the ideas coming! Mut stress the gluten and dairy free though! That means no protein powders or dairy products of any kind.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Some interesting suggestions here. Not sure steak wrapped in bacon comes into the inexpensive category though! Lol!

I make my own smoothie type breakfast most days but as I will now have the chance to sit and eat something I'm looking to make the most of it.
    The spinach thing looks interesting but I hate raw tomatoes and am a little egged out. I'm also not sure what sarracha (however you spell it) is. Still, gives me an idea to work on!

Keep the ideas coming! Mut stress the gluten and dairy free though! That means no protein powders or dairy products of any kind.

Oops, missed that. Sorry.

No eggs
    No dairy
    No gluten

Way outside my knowledge base. Good luck.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats can be made dairy and GF. There are several plant based protein powders that fit the DF/GF bill so don't completely discount those.

1/3 c old fashioned oats (GF oats are pretty easy to find now)
    1/3 c almond milk
    1/4 c dairy free yogurt
    1 TB chia seeds
    1/2 cup berries
    Vanilla extract and cinnamon to taste
    Mix together and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
    I top with some chopped nuts and unsweetened coconut. I also add 1/2 scoop of protein powder for flavor and extra protein but that is optional.

Can also make a "protein pancake"
    50 grams GF oats
    3/4 cup egg whites
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    Mix well (I give it a quick spin in my nutribullet) and pour into a heated skillet greased with coconut oil. Cook about 3 minutes each side until cooked through. I like a TB of maple syrup and a 6oz container of raspberries on top.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I'd personally just take what I would do for lunch/dinner and make it for breakfast. I often have things like tuna, salmon or ground beef for breakfast. Additionally, I do overnight oats which can use milk alternatives and whey protein alternative (egg, plant based, etc..) protein powders topped with granola.

Also, there is a ton of stuff you can do with eggs that isn't an omelet. For my wife, who was gluten free, I would cook up some pork roll or ham, top with a egg over medium, and then add bacon and guacamole.

Alternatively, you can incorporate lentils or legumes and look for vegan recipes for breakfast. Or alternatively, just put more protein at the end of your day and use carbs in the early part.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    chicken and egg whites
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Lots of egg whites being suggested. Why egg whites? I tend to eat a whole egg as I find just using egg whites a but wasteful and as far as I know, anything that claimed eggs were bad was largely defunct. Am i wrong there?

Also should say that I've tried gf & df protein powders and found them to be super gross!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Lots of egg whites being suggested. Why egg whites? I tend to eat a whole egg as I find just using egg whites a but wasteful and as far as I know, anything that claimed eggs were bad was largely defunct. Am i wrong there?

Also should say that I've tried gf & df protein powders and found them to be super gross!

I use egg whites sometimes along with my whole eggs to bulk up the meal for higher protein with little in the way of calorie hit...we keep cartons of egg whites on hand as my wife uses them all of the time, so there's no waste.

I had a leftover pork chop and veggies this morning...
  • psuLemon
    Options

Egg whites are pure protein and very low calorie, which makes them perfect for adding protein and volume without a lot of calories. I tend to use them in many of my recipes to add bulk. Below is also a great website for protein based recipes.

www.theproteinchef.co
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites to supplement whole eggs - 46g of egg whites (approx. 3TBSP) is 5g of protein and 0 fat/carbs - so easier filler
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Honestly I eat my "dinner" for breakfast lol, maybe switch up your meals one morning
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Put Greek yogurt (I like oikos "strawberry zero" yogurt in the black container), peanut butter (2 tablespoons) protein powder (your choice) and a little Agave Nector with some crushed ice and water or milk (I use water to avoid the calories in milk) in a blender.
    Makes for an awesome morning smoothie/shake and it's super filling and easy to take on the go!!
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    Oily fish such as fresh sardines or sprats, eggs, plain yogurt, beans etc are good sources​ of protein.
  • cheers2205
    cheers2205 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just want to quickly point out that lactose-free isn't exactly the same as dairy-free. In the original post it "lactose-free" was mentioned. I only point it out b/c as a lactose-intolerant, dairy-loving fiend, I have learned to find the most fantastic products that satisfy my cravings for dairy while not completely ravaging my digestive system. Here are some top choices in terms of protein:

Skyr - Icelandic-type cheese, sold as yogurt next to Greek yogurt, naturally lactose-free. Plain kind has approx 110 cals for 175g & packs 21g of protein. Available in a lot of groceries outside Iceland (apparently all things Iceland are becoming a thing).

Dry curd cottage cheese. Dunno if this is some magical Canadian invention (it does have other names that escape me rn). The texture is completely different, not wet & lumpy, it's more like a crumbly block. Lives in close fridge proximity to the regular cottage cheese. Naturally virtually lactose-free. 55g-50kcal-11g of protein.

Goat cheese is lactose-free. So are emmental, gruyère, and a bunch of other hole-y cheeses. So toast+lf cheese+bacon+tomatoes=win breakfast in my book.

Incidentally I am trying to get a protein hit tonight so I mixed up 68g of dry curd cottage cheese + 2 Tbsp lf sour cream (yes, they make lactose-free sour cream!!)+ 6g of PB powder... looking at approx 125 cals and 15g of protein. Sounds pretty shady on paper but it's actually quite palatable!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease, mild lactose intolerance, and am allergic to egg yolks and soy. I eat:

Greek yogurt, GF granola, flax or Chia seeds, and whatever fruit I have handy. Yoplait makes a good lactose free yogurt, but Greek yogurt works for me.

Oatmeal made with LF milk with flax or Chia seeds and nuts added.

GF toast with nut butter

Tracy Anderson Clear protein bars (if I eat this for breakfast, I eat two.) these are pea protein based.

Hope this helps.