Teen suplements

Options
My daughter is 14 and has been lifting weight for around 2 years and now wants to start taking meal replacement shakes. Will this affect her health in any way

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Mine all say not suitable for under 18s.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    She should aim for eating healthy and getting her macros through whole food. What is the goal for the meal replacement shake (besides the obvious)?
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've never seen any that are suitable for under 18's, but I think you're best bet is to speak with a doctor. I would be very wary about allowing a 14 year old replace a full meal with a shake (unless it's been cleared by a doctor), but that's just a personal preference. :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't she just eat whole foods instead?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AEgbokhan wrote: »
    My daughter is 14 and has been lifting weight for around 2 years and now wants to start taking meal replacement shakes. Will this affect her health in any way

What's her reason for wanting shakes instead of actual food?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Are you sure she isn't talking about protein shakes to add extra protein for her workouts? Eating regular meals then adding a protein shake throughout the day in addition?
  • AEgbokhan
    AEgbokhan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    She should aim for eating healthy and getting her macros through whole food. What is the goal for the meal replacement shake (besides the obvious)?

She says she wants to lose weight so everythings more defined
  • AEgbokhan
    Options

What's her reason for wanting shakes instead of actual food?

She wants to lose weight but still get the nutrients
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

She says she wants to lose weight so everythings more defined

Does she need to lose any weight?
  • AEgbokhan
    Options

Are you sure she isn't talking about protein shakes to add extra protein for her workouts? Eating regular meals then adding a protein shake throughout the day in addition?

I tried to clarify that with her but she was adament about what she said about meal replacments
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Does she need to lose any weight?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Is that her in your profile picture? If so, she doesn't look like she needs to lose weight, but I would discuss this with her doctor and have them refer her to the appropriate channels. A teen needs the best nutrition they can get because they're still growing. Diets and shake replacements need to be handled with extreme care and preferably with the involvement of a professional. Don't let her do her own thing that may have harmful consequences, even if she thinks she knows what she is doing. Have you explained to her that if she does need to lose weight she can achieve that without shakes? You may get better to her by explaining how poor nutrition will affect her lifting performance, skin and hair.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes are not recommended for teens for a variety of reasons. Your "daughter" needs to eat a healthy, well balanced diet.