Successful Losers (I mean that in the nicest way lol)

Options
There are SO MANY posts about 17 day diets, diet pills, Keto, Atkins, Slim Fasts etc... I thought I would poll the ACTUALLY SUCCESSFUL people to ask what you learned and what you may have changed along the way.

I personally came to MFP after doing Atkins (bout 3 times, that should have told me something lol) WW, I even tried super low calorie meal replacement gimmicks and at one point diagnosed myself with a metabolic disorder, adrenal fatigue... basically everything except "I was eating too much for my activity level"

What finally worked for me was learning why I was losing weight (the mechanics of the energy balance), and just tracking. I feel guilty taking credit considering how ridiculously easy it was but it truly was.

What did your success look like?

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have never been overweight, but there was a time when I thought I was chubby. When I was in college I bought "diet pills", they did nothing of course.

Calorie counting has worked both ways for me. I used MFP after my third baby to lose weight, but to also make sure I didn't lose too much like I did after having my second child.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was a calorie deficit that aimed for 2lbs per week weight loss (no, I didn't always hit it). I kept my calorie count at breakfast and dinner low enough that I had some left over for supper. So, if I didn't workout in the evening I still wasn't going to go over my calorie goal, but on most days I would ride my bicycle enough that I could eat supper and snack afterward. For the most part, I didn't weigh my food and took the calorie counts listed on packages and menus on faith. I was hungry most of the time and I didn't bother with trying to find ways to trick myself into thinking I wasn't. I have found that using smaller plates actually does help.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I started out doing the keto diet and I was losing fairly consistent, but my mental health tanked. Full blown depression, worse anxiety than I've ever had. I brought carbs back into my life and within a few days felt completely normal again. I maintained for a year just eating what I want within reason, and 6 months ago or so I started eating Paleo 80% of the time as per my doctor and I'm losing 1-2 lbs a week consistently and I feel really good. I'm keeping my calories in check though, so it's not the paleo thats causing the weight loss, it's a calorie deficit. I'm following paleo (dr order) due to debilitating back and knee pain and so far so good!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I tried all the fad diets.... Then signed up with a coach who set me a meal plan, which I followed precisely. I got a weekly cheat meal.

I lost a lot of weight, going from 80kg to 55kg, and maintained it for an extended period. I was an obsessive clean eater (I now consider myself as having been orthorexic). I may have stayed lean (too lean) but it was probably the most unhealthy I have ever been (physically in terms of hormones and body function, and mentally).

Being introduced to IIFYM was the best thing ever. I've used it to achieve all sorts of goals (planned bulking, fat loss, maintenance, competing) and it has made a massive difference to my relationship with food and my body.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have tried a variety of diets and use recipes from South Beach, 21 Day Fix, Weight Watchers and some bodybuilding sites all the time. I guess as stand-alone plans, those diets haven't been what's sustained my size over the years. What has worked for me for my entire adult life is not to let myself get above a certain weight, which for me is 141. Once I get close to that number, I might dust off a variety of plans, sign up for WW, do whatever, but I am determined not to get above it. And I've rarely been below 130, too. With the exception of postpartum, I have never had a pair of pants "not zip," just get too snug.

So I feel like I am "successful" even though that has involved a variety of strategies. Would you say it's a "failure" to stop following one specific diet, "live a little," and go up from 133 to 139, if a few weeks later that involves a new diet plan and different foods?
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hit my normal bmi some while ago but still aiming to lower the weight.

Never really tried diets because I was a depressed slobby thing hanging at my pc 24/7 but I was glad to find the mfp forums once I got into losing weight! Altough I lost weight purely through diet and not so much activity, I guess once I go down just a little bit more Ill get into that. (Im lazy :( )

Basically, same! The worth of calories and how much I underestimated almost everything. Learning about the simple things with counting and weighing just felt like really opening my eyes.

And as a friend once put it: "5grams of this medicine will heal you, 10grams will kill you. If you'd weigh the medicine, why not weigh your food"
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I haven't lost THAT much (probably around 30-35lb - I didn't weigh myself when I first started) but I've had big success just counting calories and taking each day as it comes. I've averaged losing just under 1lb a week since I started weighing myself.

I have used MFP a few times in the past but this is by far the longest I've stuck with it and the biggest success I've had. I've also done Weight Watchers in the past and experimented with low carb while using MFP (which was OK, but when I went back to even a small amount of carbs I felt wretched, whereas I'd actually been fine eating them before!).

For me, it's been a mindset thing. Not just willpower, but also being able to let go of the need to "be good" for a day/a week/a fortnight without feeling that it's now ruined and I may as well give up. Also putting mind over matter and not waiting until tomorrow/next week to get back to it.

Exercise has been really helpful this time. I've diligently logged and mostly eaten back calories, and kept active even in those periods when I've been eating more. It's also helped me to make my life more liveable - as I'm on the last 3-4 vanity pounds now, my calorie count is pretty low so burning more is key to my sanity (i.e. chocolate and wine!).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Despite having low-carb and keto thrown in my face daily (the trend over the past 5 years), I decided to listen to the "meanies" and eat what I liked, but stayed within my daily calories. I think my success story speaks for itself.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    There are SO MANY posts about 17 day diets, diet pills, Keto, Atkins, Slim Fasts etc... I thought I would poll the ACTUALLY SUCCESSFUL people to ask what you learned and what you may have changed along the way.

I personally came to MFP after doing Atkins (bout 3 times, that should have told me something lol) WW, I even tried super low calorie meal replacement gimmicks and at one point diagnosed myself with a metabolic disorder, adrenal fatigue... basically everything except "I was eating too much for my activity level"

What finally worked for me was learning why I was losing weight (the mechanics of the energy balance), and just tracking. I feel guilty taking credit considering how ridiculously easy it was but it truly was.

I lost control of my eating, in a short (5 years) period of time, due to some changes in my personal life. I was fine with it for a while, and then I wasn't. I just reached a point mentally where I knew I had to get back to my old self. And in order to do that, I knew I would not have success until I actually committed myself mentally to sticking with a plan. The plan that I used was WW. My sister had joined it, and she was having a lot of success with it so she suggested it for me. We are (were) both picky eaters so she told me "If I can do this, I know you can".
    This was 2002 - 2004 - so the old 1-2-3 points system was what I used. Now, I'm not a group-hug kind of person :# - you would have to drug me to get me to step on a scale in front of others. I knew that I would never want to go to any meetings, so I simply bought the materials on eBay, learned how it worked, and off I went.

I think the most important thing that I learned, for me personally, was how little food I really needed. I had become so used to huge family meals with all that bread, and eating out and fast food, all day long - I was just stuffing my face with crap all day. I was a serious junk-food junkie - still am I guess, but at least now I have control of it.

The next thing was that I learned to love foods that I had never enjoyed. I love broccoli now, and eat salads for dinner at least twice a week. I freaking LOVE cooked carrots, and green beans, and corn....I could enjoy a meal of nothing but veggies. It really was life-changing. Still a lot of veggies I don't care for (cooked spinach - blech, brussel sprouts :s ) but my diet is so so much healthier now. I can even eat fish if it is a certain kind, grilled/blackened. I was not raised eating any seafood, so that was a major leap. Still not a perfect diet by any stretch of the imagination, but it is 100% better than what it was. I have not eaten at a buffet-style restaurant in oh, 15 years I guess. It's a complete waste of money for me. Now, I will go to a nice steakhouse for a special occasion, but I have to plan around that meal.

Probably the most critical tool for me, was learning to log my food. I am one of those that if I don't write it down, I don't remember it. So logging food, for me, will always be necessary in order to maintain my weight. And I am okay with that. I got lazy a couple of years back and stopped, and here comes 15 pounds running right back, so I am back to my (good) old ways now, and plan on staying there.

The other thing was that I got my fitness-groove back. I had stopped running and hardly every hit the gym, during that time, and I had forgotten how much it does for me, mentally as well as physically. I started back running, and set a goal of running a half-marathon, and ended up running several over the next several years. I am a bit of a gym rat - it is my stress-buster as is running (though I am not running much these days due to a knee issue). I feel SO much better after a workout - it's hard to even explain.

So, that's my story. :)

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP back in 2011.. but really didn't use it very much. I ended up getting into fitness in 2012, I did lots of cardio, kickboxing, bodyweight stuff.. I looked pretty good.. but my diet was kind of all over the place, I would try so hard to eat clean then fall off the wagon, feel guilty and start the whole process again.
    Then I got pregnant and after had some issues losing the baby weight (I ended up back to pre-pregnancy weight but looked super soft and unhappy with my body composition) that is when I discovered MFP again, flexible dieting and started lifting. I kind of waffled around until I started following Strong Curves and bulked, cut and used MFP to track my cals. My success has been due to lifting, keeping fueled and having a relaxed attitude (no food guilt) and not letting any setbacks stand in my way.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    fascha wrote: »

-Female/38 yrs old
    -lost around 50lbs (only time I've tried losing weight)
    -in my 4th year of maintenance and 4th year of normal level glucose numbers (high numbers are why I started this whole thing)
    -current weight 126lbs/bmi: 20.3

I did an IF protocol for my weight loss phase (ADF/JUDDD), a different IF protocol for the transition period between the weight loss phase and maintenance (5:2IF), and then for the last several years of maintenance I've done 16:8IF as part of my weight management plan. What has been the common denominator throughout all of this is that I tracked my calorie intake and hit my calorie targets.

Now in my 4th of maintenance I'm getting away from IF because I've become really interested in 'Blue Zones,' especially the SDA group in Loma Linda, and then also the big meta study on vegetable/fruit consumption that recently came out from the Imperial College London. I've been implementing changes to what I eat, but I continue to track my calorie intake and continue to hit my calorie targets. That's the bottom line for me, and that's what controls my glucose numbers.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Used MFP in 2014 to drop 30 lbs of post-menopausal weight and got back down to goal weight of 135 (I'm 5'8").
    It took me four months. The approach that worked for me was:

A stringently disciplined 1200-per-day calorie intake, plus eating back half my exercise calories.
    No cheat days.
    No white sugar, almost no added sweeteners of any kind whatsoever.
    No refined grains, nothing made from white flour.
    Low-ish carbs (I ate vegies instead of fruit or potatoes).
    No drinks with calories in them.

I viewed the weight-loss period very much as a "diet" and NOT as a permanent lifestyle. That viewpoint helped me stay utterly disciplined for four months.

My maintenance zone is in the 130's. I maintain by just eating normally, including breads, sweets, etc, although I still don't drink soda or eat much processed food. I don't log calories while maintaining.

A couple weeks ago (after 2 years of maintenance) I noticed that I was at 142. I set April aside as another hard-core 1200-calorie low carb diet month, to get back into my target zone. I'm now at 138, but will diet throughout the rest of April. Then I'll go back to my normal habits again.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I found what has worked the best for me is understanding that it is a lifestyle and not a diet. In the past I would always keep my calories to 1200. I could never maintain that low of calories and I felt awful even though the weight might have come off fast .Now I eat at least 1500-1600 per day . I have lost over 50 pounds. No food is bad as I don't want to feel deprived. I try to eat ' clean ' at least 5 days a week but I still splurge every now and again.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My story is so boring - just like my previous diet. I lost weight and tried keeping it off with a local mix of the Mediterranean diet and the DASH diet - I call it "lean, green and mean" - the most revolting thing about it is that it's so close to normal eating that I didn't understand why I couldn't stick to it. Then my diet shifted into an all chips and candy diet - easier to stick to but not really healthy, or - whenever I could be bothered to cook dinner - too large portions of boring and bland food.

I knew about calories, and I knew I ate too much, but I ate compulsively and I somehow thought I needed a lot of food.

MFP cut through all the crap. Not only did I lose 50 pounds, more or less effortlessly, and keep it off, also effortlessly, I would say it fixed my relationship with food, and I learned how to eat. I think MFP may have actually saved my life.