Lost more weight but my body fat increased?

I go to Curves Woman's Gym. I'm a 33 year old female, 5'8. My starting weight was 191 on 12/26. I'm now down to 166! I've lost inches and weight obviously but today when I had my bmi and body fat measured my body fat went up a bit. It was 25.80 on 3/6 and today it was 26. Any idea why I'd lose pounds but increase in body fat?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    That's a huge loss! Well done

How are they determining your bf%?

0.2 difference is negligible especially considering the inaccuracy of most measuring methods...
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    When you lose weight you lose fat and muscle. Lifting weights will help lessen the muscle that is lost, are you lifting weights? But as livingleanlivingclean said .2 difference is nothing, especially if your bf % is being tested on a scale with those handheld things.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    How was your BF% measured? My first thought is there was an error in one of your measurements and that can easily happen.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    how are you measuring body fat?? hand held devices or scales are wildly inaccurate
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Did you measure BF% with one of those Omron hand grip things? They are notoriously inaccurate, like +/- 10%. They can be thrown off by how hydrated you are (or aren't). As long as you are trending downward, don't sweat it.
  • freshmama06
    freshmama06 Posts: 36 Member
    Yes, i used one of the handheld machines. That's the only way I've had my BF measured.

The scale to measure my weight is the doctor type scale. This is my 4th weigh and measure if that makes a difference.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    All things considered, I second @janjunie.

1.) That difference really is negligible
    2.) Make sure you're weight training and eating appropriately to help maintain muscle, and would add:
    3.) Make sure you're weighing/measuring in pretty much the exact same conditions. those handheld things I believe vary based on your hydration level.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Don't stress over the bf% - those machines are ridiculously inaccurate and affected by so many factors.
  • freshmama06
    janjunie wrote: »
    When you lose weight you lose fat and muscle. Lifting weights will help lessen the muscle that is lost, are you lifting weights? But as livingleanlivingclean said .2 difference is nothing, especially if your bf % is being tested on a scale with those handheld things.

I am not lifting weights. I have dumbbells hat I use on occasion.

I'll start using them more and see what happens.
  • freshmama06
    Thanks for everyone's reply.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member

using them more and "seeing what happens" really isn't the best strategy - if you are interested in lifting you should look up a program that interests you and follow it.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member

using them more and "seeing what happens" really isn't the best strategy - if you are interested in lifting you should look up a program that interests you and follow it.

I second this. If I can do it, anyone can. I'm not a pro or powerlifter or anything, but I have gained so much muscle following a program.

I wouldn't worry about the hand held body fat results - as others have said, inaccurate. Congrats on the loss and keep up the good work
  • freshmama06

I am locked in to this gym til the end of May. I've seen some increase in muscle, but not much. Curves Gym is great for weight loss but they don't have free weights. When my membership expires then I'm joining the gym with my husband. Until then, I will just have to do dumb bells and go with my husband on occasion.
  • freshmama06

I second this. If I can do it, anyone can. I'm not a pro or powerlifter or anything, but I have gained so much muscle following a program.

I wouldn't worry about the hand held body fat results - as others have said, inaccurate. Congrats on the loss and keep up the good work[/quote]

Thank you!
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    I have a scale that measures body fat. If I'm a little dehydrated, it will show an elevated body fat %. If I drink lots of water and am well hydrated the body fat % is lower. Drinking coffee and alcoholic beverages tends to cause dehydration while G2s and water are good for hydration. What it means is that the number on the measuring device is not showing an accurate representation of your body fat % so don't sweat it.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member

I am locked in to this gym til the end of May. I've seen some increase in muscle, but not much. Curves Gym is great for weight loss but they don't have free weights. When my membership expires then I'm joining the gym with my husband. Until then, I will just have to do dumb bells and go with my husband on occasion.

Just note that a change in your routine can result in water retention that will show up on the scale as a weight gain. Don't sweat it, it will eventually come back off with-in a couple of weeks. But if you are happy how you look, and with your progress, you don't really have to change anything right now. Your BF% didn't go up, it's just the method used to calculate it, isn't a reliable one.