Stretching Routine

Options
I currently exercise 3x/week (M, W, F) and rotate activities on a monthly basis so that I don't get bored. Typically, I'll also take the dogs on one long hike/run on Saturday. Each day has a 5 min warm up and quick 5-10 min stretch afterward. Tuesday and Thursday are wide open.

I'd like to have more mobility and flexibility, and I experience tightness in my lower back, ankles, up and down my left side (knee, groin, hip, shoulder) - all likely contributed to by sitting at a desk all day. None are debilitating or chronic, and my goal is to just stay ahead of this declining curve and become more limber from head to toe.

What do y'all do to improve flexibility? Do you follow a program?

Please make some recommendations for a full-body routine that can be done twice a week in 30-40 minutes. It could be yoga or simply a couple of stretches for each region from neck to ankles. I'm completely wide open.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I take a YIN yoga class weekly - you hold gently poses for upwards of 5 minutes each and it stretches the fascia. Has made a huge difference in my mobility and flexibility. Also, google 'mobility exercises" and start incorporating those for particular problem areas (for me, hip flexors and shoulders). Add in some foam rolling (and/or using lacrosse ball for particularly tough areas). The difference between stretching and mobility exercises is that mobility exercises can be uncomfortable (at least that is my definition). Sorry this isn't more specific, but it really is going to have to be personalized to you based on your current level. Good luck!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I just lift heavy. Perfect flexibility and mobilty for my goals.

I'll do yoga when my training isn't a focus, but thats rare now a days.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I mostly do lower body stretching. I follow a video I found on fitnessblender.com. I also add in a few stretches specifically for my ankles due to past Achilles tendonitis problems.
  • MarmiteToes
    MarmiteToes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I squeeze in yoga workouts from YouTube whenever I can. Lately I've been into Boho Beautiful's routines, which seem to range from 10-25 minutes. Sometimes I'll do two of the short ones in a row. https://www.youtube.com/user/cexercize

There are tons of free yoga videos on YouTube so poke around until you find one that's a good fit for you.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'd like to have more mobility and flexibility, and I experience tightness in my lower back, ankles, up and down my left side (knee, groin, hip, shoulder) - all likely contributed to by sitting at a desk all day. None are debilitating or chronic, and my goal is to just stay ahead of this declining curve and become more limber from head to toe.
    What do y'all do to improve flexibility?

I stretch my problem areas a few times a day, since the effects of stretching don't last long. What i suggest to you is identify which specific muscles are tight, and stretch them for 30+ seconds every 2 hours. Use a reminder app if necessary. Over time you won't need to do it as frequently.. but it must be frequent at first to get good results.

Desk workers usually need these stretches:

- calves
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=CkgkmbXz8Mo
    - hip flexors
    youtube.com/watch?v=YQmpO9VT2X4
    - pecs
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=bO224K6mS2c

For lower back, try this:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=1VBXcrhD64g

One-sided tightness is unusual - you might need to see a physical therapist to find out the cause. :+1:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like yoga - Rodney Yee's A.M. Yoga for Your Week has 5 - 20'ish minute routines. Each has a different focus (standing, backbends, twists). This is nice to get familiar with what's out there.

A.M & P.M. Stretch by Madeline Lewis is another favorite. These are 2 - 35 minute routines (total body)....some DVDs have a bonus 20 minute stretch.

Check your local library.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Definitely work in consistent strength training, it helps everything. Lifting is great, but TRX is awesome too and every exercise involves stability & core as well as strength. When things are tight, they need to be worked and released, not just stretched. If a rubber band is tight, should you stretch it further or relax it?
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I currently exercise 3x/week (M, W, F) and rotate activities on a monthly basis so that I don't get bored. Typically, I'll also take the dogs on one long hike/run on Saturday. Each day has a 5 min warm up and quick 5-10 min stretch afterward. Tuesday and Thursday are wide open.

What do y'all do to improve flexibility? Do you follow a program?

Please make some recommendations for a full-body routine that can be done twice a week in 30-40 minutes. It could be yoga or simply a couple of stretches for each region from neck to ankles. I'm completely wide open.

Thanks for any recommendations!

I would highly recommend yoga. If you stick with it for just a little while, you will see amazing results with your overall core strength and flexibility which will improve your performance level in your other activities. If you can, I would start out by finding a class and instructor that can guide you initially. Try the "Mind Body" app. It will give you Classes in your area. Also, many yoga classes/instructors will give you a class for free or at a discount when starting out to see if you like it. Do not hesitate to shop for teachers if you don't like the style or instruction when you start out. Finding a good teacher is critical. Find one that makes it a point to work with individuals in helping with form, alignment and offers alternative positions based on your ability and comfort level during the class.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    for overall lower-body stuff, i like the agile 8 routine, which is up on youtube.

• SteadyDoinIt281
    SteadyDoinIt281 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Can you please elaborate on what your programming looks like?
  • Chieflrg
    Options

Squat 3x
    Bench 2x
    Press 1x
    Dead 1x
    Chins 1x
    DL variation 1x
    Back Extensions 1x

• SteadyDoinIt281
    SteadyDoinIt281 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Squat 3x
    Bench 2x
    Press 1x
    Dead 1x
    Chins 1x
    DL variation 1x
    Back Extensions 1x

Thank you, sir. Is that 3 sets of squats? Five reps per set? How many times/week are you running that routine?
  • Chieflrg
    edited April 2017
    Options

Squat 3x
    Bench 2x
    Press 1x
    Dead 1x
    Chins 1x
    DL variation 1x
    Back Extensions 1x

Thank you, sir. Is that 3 sets of squats? Five reps per set? How many times/week are you running that routine?

Sorry, that is my weekly routine how many times a week I do each lift. I squat 3 x week, bench twice, etc...

Reps/sets fluctuates dailly depending on what I programed specifically for volume, recovery, or intensity pertaining to my current goal. Right now I'm tapering down my volume and boosting my intensity a touch to prepare for a powerlifting meet.

Five rep scheme is a good base for novice, advanced novice, and newer intermediates for core work whose main goal is strength. Once a lifter starts dipping into intermediate pool things start to morph into a bit more complexed depending how the body responds or doesn't respond to training.