Do calories burned change based on weight loss?

Options
I have noticed my calories burned being calculated lower and wondered if MFP takes your current weight into account?
When I started it would tell me 30 min of yoga burned 98 calories.....then 95 cals....and now 91 cals.

I couldn't find this listed anywhere else and it's the only thing that made sense to me.

Replies

• payitoffnow
    payitoffnow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure someone asked the same thing not too long ago and I remember that the majority of the responses say that your weight IS taken into account. This is just what I read from other posts so I'm not 100%
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    MFP does take your current weight into the caloric burn calculations. As you lose weight, you'll burn less calories doing the same activities, since it takes more energy (calories) to move more mass (higher weight person).
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yes. A 200lb person would burn more calories than a 100lb person, theoretically. That 200lb person has more weight to carry around, right?? Although not as drastic, the same principles apply to you. I noticed that even dropping my weight from 155lbs down to 150lbs caused calories to be lowered on my machines at the gym, and also my heart rate monitor.

Edit to add: keep in mind, that the more you do a certain exercise, the more efficient your body becomes at it as well... so you'll burn less calories over time as your muscles and ability develops :smile:
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    yes. The less you weigh, the less energy it takes to accomplish the same thing as you did at the heavier weight (assuming intensity levels are the same). If you ran 2 miles with an average HR of 150, but weighed less the next time you ran, you should have burned fewer calories at the lighter weight.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Yes it does.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does take your current weight into account. A 200 pound person would burn fewer calories than a 300 pound person doing the same activity (hiking, walking, swimming, etc). That's why it gets harder the more you lose.

However, when you post a new weight loss, MFP does not change your daily calorie goal. You need to go to goals and update them. Just click on the recommended buttons and it should do the rest. A 1 or 2 pound loss should decrease your daily calorie goal by about 10 calories.
  • mendogirl
    mendogirl Posts: 87
    Options
    yes
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    sure does.... some of my friends burn 200+ cals doing 30DS but I burn 412
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does. I know when I exercise with my boyfriend he often burns twice as many calories as I do for the same amount of activity, simply because of our rather dramatic height and weight difference. As you lose weight, you will burn less for the same amount of activity.
  • SandyEdge
    SandyEdge Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So I guess you have your answer by now !!

Not wanting to threadjack - but i couldnt help noticing that AFLANE and SKWILSON have both recently reached 100 pounds lost.
    Thats really inspirational !! Well done to the both of you.
  • Lindyteach
    Lindyteach Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is just another reason I celebrate finding and using MFP! they have thought of everything!!
  • brvanover
    brvanover Posts: 52
    Options
    Thank for you all the responses and help!