To weigh or not to weigh...

Options
I have a problem... I'm having an affair with our weighing scales. I'm obsessed. It's not right!
My boyfriend is fed up too , also I get annoyed if I see I'm up even a fraction of a pound!
How do I stop this and should I give the scales to my boyfriend to hide and only take it out on a weekly basis?

Help please!

I'm weighing myself twice a day... I know... Psychotic! 

Replies

• Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hide your scale in a closet and only have it make an appearance once a week or throw it out (donate if it is in a good condition) completely and use the one at the gym (if you have access to one), friend's place, or doctor's office where you don't go daily.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Do it for a week and see what happens. You may be worse without it... but you may also relax a smidge as well... you'll never know until you give it a try!
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i have been weighing in once a month, i only just switched to once a week because i am on the verge of a lot of stress and i want to keep myself super accountable for the next 6 weeks, then i will go back to once a month. i only pay minimal attention to the scale, i gauge my progress by how my clothes fit and what my measurements say!
  • GooneyAngel
    Options
    Great idea to give the scale to your boyfriend!! Yes, you are obsessed!! STOP!! You are only setting yourself up for failure!!! Weigh once a week or less and always weigh at the same time of the day and with the same scale.....GL!!
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I had my husband hide myn....and now I have no problem walking by it and not getting on..
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292
    Options
    just take a hammer to the damn thing....least that way you can relieve stress, and get a quick mild work-out depending on how fast, hard and how long you swing it!
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    See, I know lots of people just weigh themselves once a week but that's not for me. I weigh myself every morning and find it a great motivation! I also know how upset I would be if after a week of working really hard I weighed in as the same or only marginally lighter, whereas when I'm weighing myself daily I'm prepared!

However, if you're weighing yourself all the time you might want to stick to once a day, or as some people have suggested, once a week.

Good luck!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I was weighing myself more as well then was getting upset if I happen to be holding more water that day or something. I cut down to about twice a week, Saturday Morning and usually Tuesday morning. And Tuesday is to make sure I didnt do to much damage over the weekend.

I believe daily weigh in will set you up for disappointment because some days you carry more water or your food intake does not digest as fast.... I would cut back and then you will be happy with the results of what a weeks progress will show
  • Kellyanne822
    Kellyanne822 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different with their weigh-in preferences. I weigh in every morning first thing before my shower. Everyone was saying that it is bad to weigh in everyday so I gave the scale to my husband who let me weigh on Saturday mornings and it really drove me crazy. The way I looked at it was if I had a bad eating day or didnt work out I still had til the end of the week to make up for it...even though I never did try to make it up. So I think that weighing in daily for me is healthy and I'm not obsessed over it. I think that you just have to realized that the best time to weigh is first thing in the morning before you eat or shower. If you weigh later on in the day your number could be way off because so many things impact your weight. It is normal to fluctuate over a few pounds. Food, water, stress all play a role in your weight. So just take it easy and try to only weigh in once a day and don't obsess over your number. Try measuring the inches that you lose. When the pounds aren't going down the inches usually are :flowerforyou:
  • Kellyanne822
    Kellyanne822 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    See, I know lots of people just weigh themselves once a week but that's not for me. I weigh myself every morning and find it a great motivation! I also know how upset I would be if after a week of working really hard I weighed in as the same or only marginally lighter, whereas when I'm weighing myself daily I'm prepared!

However, if you're weighing yourself all the time you might want to stick to once a day, or as some people have suggested, once a week.

Good luck!

I totally agree and feel the same way!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    LOL... my husband hid my scale. At first, I was a bit frantic to not weigh in daily, but pretty soon I found I enjoyed the bigger losses I was seeing when I looked at the scale less often. I've been weighing in every few weeks to a month lately, and have seen great numbers. It's way nicer than fretting over small gains/losses. :-)
  • Postlethwaite
    Postlethwaite Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think you should find what works for you. Sometimes being obsessed with the scale can be a bit of a roller coaster emotionally and motivationally. Try weekly or bi-weekly weigh ins and see if that works for you. Keep your scale at a friend's place and jump on it once a week when you visit for coffee. Find what works to keep you going.. but don't let the scale do all the counting. Measure yourself all around head to toe.. take time to feel how your body is changing.. notice how different clothes fit, or how certain eating styles and exercises make you feel energetic and optimistic.

The scale is only a tool.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    HI!

I weigh daily, but record here weekly, same day, same time, same clothes (undies!) lol The daily numbers I write down with my printout of what I ate the day before so I can see any correlation between foods and fluctuation. As long as my trend is downward, it doesn't matter if I have a up day or a down day. I like daily weigh-ins because inevitably my "fat" day is the day I weekly weigh! I would be very very cranky if I only saw those numbers even with a loss. (Example: Sun - 219, Mon - 218, Tues - 218.5, Wed - 217.5, Thurs - 217.5, Fri - 217, Sat (weigh in day) - 218 ... now that is a weekly 1 lb loss but I can see by looking daily that my "bouncing" number has lowered. (That is the lowest number that everything bounces off of! lol) If every week my bouncing number is lower than the previous week, I am happily losing weight! :-) This works well for me, but if you can't stop checking the scale, you may need a break from it being at hand for a while! btw, I have done the check in several times a day thing when a plateau finally crumbles just because I am soooo excited to see some movement! If that is the case, you'll get bored with it soon and resume "normal" weigh ins soon!

With Friendship and Warmth from Missouri,

Sonia
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I try to live by the 3 day rule - nothing is real until I've seen it for 3 days in a row. We retain water, we get dehydrated, we haven't gone to the bathroom in a while, we just drank a full cup of water - no one weight is ever truly "real". I don't worry about going up or down - or log weight loss - until I've seen it for 3 days in a row. I always weigh myself in the morning - sometimes before I've had anything to drink and sometimes after a glass of water. I find it a motivation and interesting.

This being said, if you really have a scale addiction, you might want to give it to your boyfriend for a while until you can look at it with a healthier attitude. Good luck!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I was the same way when I first started...obsessed. That stopped when I went up 2lbs in a day and FREAKED!....The next day I weighed myself again & the 2lbs magically disappeared. I realized how much stress & disappointment I could have saved myself if I had only waited. Since then I have been trying only once a week but some times I do it twice. It's exciting to see how well you are progressing so it's hard to wait sometimes. Giving the scale to your boyfriend is a really good idea though, I never thought of that :smile: