Which kind of milk should I drink for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Azzie521
    Azzie521 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened almond milk and only 30 calories!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    When I drink milk (which isn't a frequent occurrence), it's bovine, and it's skim (I get plenty enough fat in my diet already).

Cashew/almond water (referring to it as "milk" is merely a marketing ploy) repulses me -- plus, it has virtually no protein (except for trace amounts that made it into that abhorrent concoction).

Of course, you can drink whatever you'd like (including liquor) and still lose weight.

Best of luck!

Good point, why is there no protein if almonds have protein? I see them advertising a new almond milk with protein and it got me thinking, plus I seen a milk commercial that made a point that milk only has 4 ingredients yet the but milks have at least a dozen
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    *Nut milks
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm mildly lactose intolerant, so I go for nut milks, but my go to's are unsweetened almond milk, coconut almond blend, and coconut milk. If I need to use a different one with less flavor, I'll choose 2% in small amounts (not a big fan of soy).

If you want low cal milks, unsweetened nut milks are your best bet at between 30-50 calories for every 8 oz. It really depends on preference and taste.
  • lifting_momlife
    lifting_momlife Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @_seed_ what's the name of that low-carb milk?
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I use nonfat (skim) milk. It has fewer calories and just as much protein as regular milk. If you don't drink it already, it might take some getting used to though.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Depends what you prefer and what your calories will allow.
    I never liked regular milk anyway, and been using skim on whatever i needed milk in, primarily because my husband is mildly lactose intolerant but skim milk doesn't bother him, just milk with the fat.
    I discovered cashew milk at only 25 calories to the cup (!!!), its tastes awesome, and I haven't looked back! :smiley:
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    As above: whichever one you like and fits your calories/macros.

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I love cashew milk and it's very low cal but my boyfriend drinks soy.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you. I drink use 2% because that's what I always have used
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    When I drink milk (which isn't a frequent occurrence), it's bovine, and it's skim (I get plenty enough fat in my diet already).

Cashew/almond water (referring to it as "milk" is merely a marketing ploy) repulses me -- plus, it has virtually no protein (except for trace amounts that made it into that abhorrent concoction).

Of course, you can drink whatever you'd like (including liquor) and still lose weight.

Best of luck!

Good point, why is there no protein if almonds have protein? I see them advertising a new almond milk with protein and it got me thinking, plus I seen a milk commercial that made a point that milk only has 4 ingredients yet the but milks have at least a dozen

Because storebought nut milk (and most homemade almond milk) is basically flavored water. Homemade cashew milk often includes actual cashews, but then it's NOT low cal or low fat. (Nuts are much lower protein than many think, so most of the calories will still be from fat, not protein.)

I'm a fan of homemade nut milks, so not knocking them.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever fits your calories/macros. I personally prefer soy milk across the board (and it's easier on my stomach than dairy milk) but you do what's best for you!
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Whatever fits your macros. I prefer whole milk for drinking, because it makes me feel fuller and less likely to just eat more calories. For tea and coffee drinks, I prefer light vanilla soy milk (I usually drink 2 cups of masala chai a day, which is about 1/2-1/3 milk).

I've looked at some of the nut milks, coconut blends, etc in the grocery store, but most of those i saw didn't have much protein, so that's why I go with soy or regular dairy.
  • prince0449
    prince0449 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was on skim, but switched to almond and feel a lot better. Especially if I drink milk at night. I stick to unsweetened vanilla. I also primarily use it for lattes and cereal. In cooking, I use whole.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm not crazy about milk in general. I just use it in my coffee or in my cereal. So I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk since it's low in calories. Every once in a while I'll add 1% to my coffee because it's higher in protein than almond.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Consume what you like as long as it fits your calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »

Best of luck!

Because not a whole lot of almonds make it into the final product. That's also why it can be so low in calories (my favorite almond milk has about 40 calories per cup).