Facebook or nah???

Options
cdbell73
cdbell73 Posts: 32 Member
I've been Facebookless for two years and I feel my life has been more at peace. But lately I've been thinking about making another one. I miss being in contact and being updated with what's going on with my friends. However, I enjoy Facebook not being a pivotal part of my life. My fiancé is happy that I'm considering getting another one but solely to boast about our engagement and the fun things that we do. I haven't had a Facebook since we've been together and she can't wait to be "Facebook official" which is something important to her but I believe it is pointless and illegitimate. (To her it's another engagement... or at least that's how I feel)

Honestly though I am a little torn. A part of me is saying no but a part of me is missing the connection. What do you guys think, should I get one or no?

Replies

• ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Could you be Facebook official if you made an account but remained inactive?
  • brittnichol
    brittnichol Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a Facebook in 4 years and don't miss it at all. Waste of time in my opinion.. but if you think your missing out on something or want to make your fiance happy you should try and see how you feel in a week or 2. You could just get it on your browser. (So you have to log in each time) since with the app your always "linked in" then you can control how much you see and when. Since you wont get notifications all the time doing it that way.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The thing you said about "connection" is what facebook does not deliver to me. My list of friends includes a bunch of family, church, and high school mates, as well as a few random others. After a few minutes of scrolling through it, I see that my religiously fanatic kin are still that, my politically fanatic kin are still that, my reticent kin are still that, and my reasonably bon vivant friends are too busy bon vivanting to post.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    cdbell73 wrote: »
    I've been Facebookless for two years and I feel my life has been more at peace. But lately I've been thinking about making another one. I miss being in contact and being updated with what's going on with my friends. However, I enjoy Facebook not being a pivotal part of my life. My fiancé is happy that I'm considering getting another one but solely to boast about our engagement and the fun things that we do. I haven't had a Facebook since we've been together and she can't wait to be "Facebook official" which is something important to her but I believe it is pointless and illegitimate. (To her it's another engagement... or at least that's how I feel)

Honestly though I am a little torn. A part of me is saying no but a part of me is missing the connection. What do you guys think, should I get one or no?

Well, you could give it a trial period of one month and see how you feel about it now.

I don't find it peaceful these days. I do stay in touch with people on FB where I would not otherwise. A lot of my friends are very politically minded concerned citizens though and it can be stressful because that is where they share their views constantly. A couple of years ago it was more brags about kids, stupid games and cat pictures. Not anymore.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    what's facebook?

wasn't that popular in 2013 ?
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    "Facebook Official" is a red flag for me. Too much control, bro. Not saying take the ring back to Jared but you should stand pat on this. Your life has improved without it- why roll it back? This would be a valuable lesson for her to see how you define love. Why can't she post your sexy self on her page anyway?

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I used to get sucked into Facebook. Then I had to take a long hard look at myself and why I post on Facebook. It became too self absorbing and narcissistic "Hey look at my life type a crap" . I got tired of everyone's selfies and meaningless posts of absolutely nothing. It became way self consuming. So now i dont post, I only like it to keep informed of events I am interested in going to, recipes or news articles. Other than that I dont care what people post of their meaningless lives.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Oh! You should totally make a joint FB account!
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I deleted my primary FB account years ago (I might go back on it to get certain people's numbers). Right now I have a throwaway Facebook account only for Tinder and Bumble.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i barley use mine except to keep in contact with family....i check for messages and leave
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Lamebook.

Been off it since 1.1.17 much happier every day.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

i hear myspace is coming back in a big way.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Is it normal to not have a facebook account in this day and age?

I've never had one. I'm not that sociable, and it just doesn't appeal to me. In fact, MFP is the ONLY social media site I'm on. I've heard Facebook is mostly just a bunch of posers showing off, ridiculous family and relationship dramas, political rants, and other useless nonsense. I don't need that in my life. MFP forums are already enough of a time suck for me. :p
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've had fb for years but I don't use it that often, in fact my family and friends don't even know I've lost weight and that's how I intend to keep it until they see me. I'm just not all that into social media.

Get one if you want and use it for your needs, other than that, just don't log in.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I deleted my Faceache, Fakebook or whatever you want to call it after i was a member here for a few months. This place is so much more interesting and has posts that I'm actually interested in and can learn from. I'll leave Facebook for the teenagers.

I'd like to know the motive behind your girlfriends request, it sounds like there's more to it.... Does she want your exes to know you're taken or something??
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't have Facebook and I don't want all the druma that hoes in with that site . Plus everyone knows your business on there and tons of gossip. I don't need all that in my life
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    i hear myspace is coming back in a big way.

for some of us, it never left

that's okay, I still think Betamax is waaay better than those new fangled laserdisk players...