Toning exercises for the 300lbs+ club.

Options
I've tried searching online for a video to follow (because written instructions just confuse me- I need to SEE how it's done) that's meant for obese people. I need to tone up DESPERATELY but I can't do all the exercises that slimmer people can do e.g. push ups (I am too heavy for this) and various things where I have to shift my body up in a severe way. I've tried it and got hurt badly each time, no matter what warm ups and cool downs I did.

So anyone got any videos I can follow, preferably any full-body workouts that last say, half an hour long at the very most?

I gotta take it light, since I'm just not used to this.

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot smaller than you and can't do a push up either. You don't need to exercise to lose weight. If you want to exercise and take it slowly then start by walking and lifting weights. The weights don't need to start out heavy, you can even start out with soup cans and then move on to dumbells, then heavier dumbells. Same with the walking, walk around the block, then two blocks then a mile....etc.
  • JuliahK1987
    JuliahK1987 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Haha even in my "skinny days" I couldn't do more than 5 push-ups. PE class was a pain! Lol I try to do wall push-ups. And lifting weights. I was never a runner, but I walk a lot. As long as you move around you should be fine. Take baby steps and don't panic when you have a bad day. We all do at some point. Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started where you are.

1. Swimming
    2. Push off the wall instead of the floor.
    3. Modify all the jumping stuff to a gentle lift off the floor. No heavy impact.
    4. Make sure you are having fun because you gotta come back and do it again.

http://pin.it/8EGPOm9
    I thought you'd like this Board on Pinterest...

The key to success is to start where you are and gradually progress. It doesn't matter how small the gains are, they all count.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has some walking videos that incorporate resistance bands.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific video, but I did start at 300 lbs. I worked with a personal trainer who started me with things like low step ups, wall squats using a stability ball, elevated push ups (kitchen counter will work great), resistance bands, and light weights. I couldn't walk up my steep driveway, walk more than 1/4 mile flat, and could barely get into my husband's truck. I started experiencing changes within 2 weeks and within a few months I could walk a 5k. So progress is possible no matter where you start. Any exercise can be modified, but I agree that many intro videos can feel intimidating. Leslie Sansone is great and I couldn't even keep pace with those when I started. Water aerobics is great too if you like the pool.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Try these videos ... they are a series

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Here is another great video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Start by watching and taking notes of the moves so you can do one set of all the moves at your pace.
    Jumping jacks, pass on them, walk in place doing the arm movements if you can, if not treat it as a rest period.

Work on it slowly, make it your goal to complete the programme along with the video.

Take baby steps, challenging yourself, but not overdoing it.

Leslie Sanson (?sp) does good walking videos that would complement on alternate days.

If you are interested, aqua fit would be a good exercise routine for you. Cardio, resistance, balance, and flexibility all in one.

Cheers, h.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    If you're just looking to lose weight all you need to do is be in a consistent caloric surplus and if you're looking to also work on your body. Look into a progressive lifting program like starting strength or strong curves
  • Woodsmoke
    Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I need to clarify to some people though that cardio isn't the issue, I walk alot anyway, but it's TONING I need help with, getting my muscles in shape again, which general walking etc won't do. :)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    General walking will get your legs in shape, most definitely. I wouldn't count that out.

Have you looked at Richard Simmons? I know he's old school but he did a lot of videos for those just starting out.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Runner's legs are pretty toned.

I have done a fair amount of life drawing and the heavier models always have great calves. It's from carrying that weight around every day.

That won't help your arms, of course.
  • numbz618
    numbz618 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Before you start the "toning" faze you need to reach your weight loss goal first. In order to ton you need to have some sort of muscle definition and you muscle to fat ratio needs to be substantially lower. Take your weight loss journey and compare it to a baby. You need to start crawling before you can run. Work on your diet and stick to it, start off with a regime you can stick to when it comes to working out and after you lose enough weight in which you can start seeing muscle definition popping thru. Then you can start toning. Good luck!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    ^^This ditto. Do not to begin strength training..the sooner you start, the better off you'll be when you get to goal, and while getting there!
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Walk, bike, and lift weights until you feel like you've lost enough weight to physically be able to do calisthetics. You can also modify push-ups on your knees and what not to work up to it.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    numbz618 wrote: »
    Before you start the "toning" faze you need to reach your weight loss goal first. In order to ton you need to have some sort of muscle definition and you muscle to fat ratio needs to be substantially lower. Take your weight loss journey and compare it to a baby. You need to start crawling before you can run. Work on your diet and stick to it, start off with a regime you can stick to when it comes to working out and after you lose enough weight in which you can start seeing muscle definition popping thru. Then you can start toning. Good luck!!

NO.

Doing some type of resistance/strength training is good while one is losing weight. It helps with muscle retention.

The op probably already has good musculature in her legs just because she has been carrying around extra weight. She needs to retain that, and if she has low upper body strength, like a lot of women do, making use of the muscles she has will help in both retaining muscle and adding strength.

Starting a resistance programme now is in her best interest. The 'toning' she has done will be revealed once her weight is lost. It is much easier to retain muscle than it is to lose and then have to rebuild.

Cheers, h.

OP if you like none of the programmes that have been posted so far look in the 'gaining' forum for 'which lifting programme is best for you' (or a similar title), spend some time searching on YouTube, or be more specific in what you are looking for.

I definitely agree with this. I do think though that numbz was not stating not to weight lift. Toning is not the same as weight lifting. Toning involves calisthenics and low weight high reps for muscle definition and OP Shouldn't expect toned results with a high body fat percent. So do real weight lifting. It's invaluable when losing a good amount of weight.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    As other posters have stated, you don't have to exercise to lose weight it's just a matter of calorie deficit and the weight will come off. as your weight comes off the exercising will get easier since you're not moving as much weight around.

Just to give you hope January 1st 2016 my starting weight was 288 pounds. My current weight is 208 and I've been maintaining for eight months. Here's where it gets fun double hip replacement arthritic knee and shoulder that needs to be replaced eventually and a bad back.

I'm in better shape right now then I was 35 years ago I have more strength and stamina. I'm a Tony Horton fan and he has a very simple philosophy it says do your best and forget the rest. I'll give you an example in his P90X series he has a routine core Plyometrics which is jumping exercises. One of the exercises was a half spin jump. A year ago I could never even picture doing that. Now I can do multiple 360 spin jumps.

My suggestion to you is focus on losing the weight first and do what you can as far as an exercise. As crazy as it sounds maybe it means sitting in a chair and getting up 10 x in a minute.
    Tomorrow maybe you try 11 times. Success is the progressive realization of a worthwhile goal. what it comes down to is you take one success and build on top of that success and then you continue building on all your previous successes and you'll be surprised at what you can do. Good luck in your journey

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

NO.

Doing some type of resistance/strength training is good while one is losing weight. It helps with muscle retention.

The op probably already has good musculature in her legs just because she has been carrying around extra weight. She needs to retain that, and if she has low upper body strength, like a lot of women do, making use of the muscles she has will help in both retaining muscle and adding strength.

Starting a resistance programme now is in her best interest. The 'toning' she has done will be revealed once her weight is lost. It is much easier to retain muscle than it is to lose and then have to rebuild.

Cheers, h.

OP if you like none of the programmes that have been posted so far look in the 'gaining' forum for 'which lifting programme is best for you' (or a similar title), spend some time searching on YouTube, or be more specific in what you are looking for.

I definitely agree with this. I do think though that numbz was not stating not to weight lift. Toning is not the same as weight lifting. Toning involves calisthenics and low weight high reps for muscle definition and OP Shouldn't expect toned results with a high body fat percent. So do real weight lifting. It's invaluable when losing a good amount of weight.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

NO.

Cheers, h.

False. Toning is the process of decreasing body fat %, by either losing body fat to show muscle, or to gain muscle. It has nothing to do with calisthenics and low weight high rep.
  • megsi886
    megsi886 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I found some videos on YouTube by searching for fat/obese/plus size/beginners strength workout. The variety is not as great, so I think you'll benefit in the end by becoming an expert in modifying exercises to work for your body. Then you can use a wider variety of videos.

Did you see the recent mfp blog post on getting to your first push up? This is the sort of thing you want to learn for all the exercises that are too hard or unsafe for you.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/5-steps-first-pushup/

When a video calls for pushups, just do whichever of those steps you can currently do.

More probably obvious thoughts:
    Body weight exercises will be tougher for you, so look for videos that use hand weights or resistance bands. To build strength you want to start with weights you can barely complete a set/video with, and go up to higher weights as it gets easier. That progression is not only the fastest reward of exercise, it gets you closer to managing your body weight comfortably and indicates muscle growth which will generally increase your metabolism.

Consider yoga videos too, even though they use body weight. Giving modifications for different body limitations is common in yoga and some instructors are very gifted at it. There are also series out there specifically targeted at large bodies, e.g. Curvy yoga. (Most of her stuff is not free.) I liked Yoga with Adriene best, but there's someone out there for every taste.