Warrior Dash - Hydration?

Options
Happy Saturday, all! I am going to be running the Warrior Dash next Sunday in KC. It's supposed to be SUPER hot and humid. I've not really done anything like this before so I was curious to see what advice you'd have for staying hydrated?

I was going to get a hydration bottle pack but it would get destroyed in mud so I don't want to do that. Is there anything I could drink before the run?

Any advice from runners with experience in hot weather is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Take care!

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I am running in KC on Saturday the 30th, pretty re the rules said something to the effect that no outside containers would be permitted. Which makes sounds like to me we only get what they give us half way through...:( worries me...

Re read your post and just noticed you said before the run, which I would like to know as well. I know I'll be drinking lots of water
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The major mud pit is usually at the very end, so a bottle would stay fairly clean through most of it.

No one checked for outside food or water at my event. We walked in and checked in carrying Gatorades. I'm sure if you brought in a kegger there might be complaints, but bringing a water or several didn't seem to be an issue.

There was a water station at about the halfway point at mine. I've heard some folks say it was closer to the end at theirs.

The nice thing about the Warrior Dash is that the running is broken up by the obstacles, so you have a chance to catch your breath a little between runs. Unless you're the first person in the first heat of the day, there's going to be some waiting for folks in front of you at some of the obstacles.

Going into the swamp/pond and creek/river was a nice way to cool down, too.

I've heard drinking a frozen drink (slushy/slurpy) before a run helps keep you cool longer, but I haven't tried it yet.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are hydrated BEFORE the race starts. Focus on drinking enough water the 24-48 hours before the race starts. The morning of the race, drink a slurpee about 30-60 minutes before the race starts, which should help keep your body cool for the race.
    You *should* be ok for that distance without having to rehydrate much during the race if you are properly hydrated before it starts. Then make sure you drink after you finish.
  • Rileydma
    Rileydma Posts: 38
    Options
    Great advice, thank you! I am sure I will be fine, I just wanted to be prepared. I'll hydrate well the that day and the day before...

I am scheduled for the last heat on Sunday at 3:30 PM... Hopefully it will be a smaller group... Although that probably means the course will be pretty torn up... Oh well. =)

Thanks!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Last heat on the 2nd day? That's gonna be a slip n slide!
  • ed2512
    ed2512 Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with maddymama to a certain extent. You look very fit and should complete this event in 40 minutes or less. Drink "normal" amounts of water the day before and the of the event. Over-hydrating can cause you all types of issues such as cramping due to electrolyte imbalance. As for the slurpee, tough call, research has shown drinking ice cold water during exercise does help performance. However, cold foods also impair digestion a bit and may cause you some stomach distress and/or nausea during the event. Personally, I'd just continue to sip some water or Powerade and use a GEL pack 10 minutes before the start. Post race drink some water and your complimentary brew. Warrior Dash is a blast.

Good luck, have fun, and congrats on your progression to your fitness goals.
  • Rileydma
    Rileydma Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks, Ed! That's great info. I am very excited about the upcoming WD. I hope I can bring it in in under 40 minutes. Should be a blast! Take care!

Dave