Water!

Options
Heya guys,

I wanted to ask you all how you make sure to get enough water during the day? Reminders or any certain technique?

Basically asking cause I know I drink mostly Coke Zero and Red Bull Sugarfree during the day and only about 1l of lemon water in the evening when I get home. I know that the diet sodas arent optimal but they dont make me specifically hungry and I just love my sodas :neutral:
Btw should I count diet sodas into my daily "liquid" intake? Or should I have 2l a day + diet drinks?

Cheers guys :blush:

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't drink water, I stick to diet coke or herbal teas, black tea.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    If it's liquid, it counts towards your daily water count.

I drink plain water when I'm working out. Otherwise it's tea (hot in winter, cold in summer), coffee and diet coke.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    The pee chart is the best way to make sure you're hydrated enough https://www.lucozadesport.ie/products/pee-chart/ other drinks can hydrate you too. I have a little water reminder on my work computer, I usually drink 2-3 litres of water and a can of diet coke http://www.brita.co.uk/brita/pages/mybrita/reminder-download.grid
  • FitJulian
    FitJulian Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    • The whole drink shedloads of water was de-bunked years ago .
    • any form of fluid intake is sufficient- most actually comes from your food ..
    • your body knows how much water it needs - it tells you to drink more by making you thirsty . and gets rid of excess by telling you to go for a wee ..

If you feel comfortable - then you are probably OK !

and as W,C.Fields said "I don't drink water , Fish **** in it !"
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and keep a water bottle right there next to my computer. It's a constant reminder to keep drinking. On the weekend I have to get creative with ways to remind myself to drink. But a water bottle in my kitchen counter does the trick.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I have a 750ml water bottle. I make sure I drink one bottle before lunch, fill it up after lunch and make sure I finish it before I leave work. Then if I have at least 250ml glass in the evening and I'm satisfied that I'm hydrated enough.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have a large water bottle which holds three cups of water. As soon as I wake up in the morning, I drink all of it. At work I have a morning tea break, again I drink another whole bottle of water. Same story at lunch time and then at dinner. So all up I drink 12 cups of water a day at least, sometimes I have 16 cups of water.
    OP: I thought that drinks with caffeine in them dehydrated you and did not count towards your water intake.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    By all means, drink your diet sodas and quit worrying about it. There is a lot of nonsense about sodas floating around and it is just that, nonsense.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I bring water from my fridge as I prefer the way it tastes, I carry crystal light or Nesfruta to add, I also drink decaf tea or herbal tea throughout the day. I don't drink a specific amount, but the days I do drink a good amount I am not as hungry.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water to curb hunger pangs so I don't over eat like I used to. It's also made my skin look better. Although that Cld be the weight loss, who knows
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use the app "water drink reminder". You set your waking hours and it gives a little reminder every hour. I keep a bottle on my desk at work and another at home. I am not a fan of plain water but do drink it plain with meals. I add some flavoring other times. Diet drinks are fine. I count coffee, tea...all liquids towards my goal. I indulge sometimes in the fizzy stuff but the carbonation gives me trouble. (I have a bad stomach/digestion) I aim for 100 ounces (12 cups) a day but everyone is different. It is beneficial to me and worth a try...IMO.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yes if your pee is clear your good, i never hit my water intake i put 4 500ml water bottles in the fridge and ushually only finish 2 or three lol but should be intaking about 2L a day
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I like my Coke Zero also. If I did not make the effort, I'd drink no water except for when I'm hot & thirsty after a run or similar activity. I know that my body works better if I keep it hydrated, so I make the effort. I have a 16 ounce bottle I refill and drink thru out the day. Since I am drinking more water, I do drink less soda. But I don't intentionally try to limit my soda.
    Heya guys,

I wanted to ask you all how you make sure to get enough water during the day? Reminders or any certain technique?

Basically asking cause I know I drink mostly Coke Zero and Red Bull Sugarfree during the day and only about 1l of lemon water in the evening when I get home. I know that the diet sodas arent optimal but they dont make me specifically hungry and I just love my sodas :neutral:
    Btw should I count diet sodas into my daily "liquid" intake? Or should I have 2l a day + diet drinks?

Cheers guys :blush:

• teassel03
    teassel03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do diet sodas (or other calorie-free beverages) count towards water intake?
  • teassel03
    teassel03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Never mind! I read up in the post, and I think most people agree it does.
  • fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    OP: I thought that drinks with caffeine in them dehydrated you and did not count towards your water intake.

The idea that caffeine dehydrates you come from a study in 1928 where researchers found that people who drank more coffee needed to urinate more frequently. The study had a lot of flaws, not least of which was a very small group of test subjects. More recent studies don't find coffee drinkers to be more dehydrated than water drinkers. So go ahead and count your tea and coffee and soda toward your water goals if you want to. Just make sure you track the calories if you add cream or sugar. And make sure you are limiting your caffeine to safe levels for your particular health situation.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I recently started hating water but I've been living of flavored seltzer waters. Life savor.
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and keep a water bottle right there next to my computer. It's a constant reminder to keep drinking. On the weekend I have to get creative with ways to remind myself to drink. But a water bottle in my kitchen counter does the trick.

Same here! I drink one 16.9oz bottle in the morning before lunch, one in the afternoon before I leave work and one with dinner. I also have 1-2 cups of tea during the day. I don't drink diet soda and have pretty much given up regular. I do also at times drink unsweetened iced tea. Weekends are harder for me...have to seriously force myself to remember to drink!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I keep a refillable water bottle with me pretty much everywhere I go...been doing that for years.

ETA: I don't drink some specific amount...hydration needs vary person to person and for myself, it's going to be dependent on the season and what I'm doing...I don't try to hit some magical cups of water...those are pretty arbitrary guidelines...I just stay hydrated.