Eating Healthier, Watching My Calorie In-Take... Now What

Options
I need some advice on incorporating fitness into my crazy work life. I start work at 4am sometimes not ending my day until after 2pm or later. I drink shakes during my breakfast and lunch times, however by the end of my day I'm drained, a drive to a gym is not on my mind. I know it's time to pick a fitness routine but I'm very lost.. Does anyone have any great ideas or past experiences that I could include slowly to build up to a routine?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Consider riding a bicycle to work. Most people would save time during their day by bicycle commuting because the time to ride to work is less than the time it takes to drive to work plus drive to the gym plus spend time there sitting on a stationary bike.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Do you get much of a lunch break - how about a quick lunchtime walk? That would be a start.

Going to the gym isn't the be all end all, my home is my gym (lift weights / youtube workouts etc)and I enjoy the outdoors for walks. Now that the longer days are here when you get in you might enjoy a walk around your block? It takes starting somewhere in regards to fitness to form new lasting habits :smile:
  • BeautifullyprofoundMC
    Options
    Great ideas! I only get 30 mins at lunch, however I could for 15 mins as a start.

Riding a bike at 2am would be difficult plus I have so many things I have to bring to work it wouldn't work sadly.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Just think of doing those 15 mins and them being more than you currently do :smiley: build up your pace eventually and you'll burn extra cals :smile:
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, I was getting up at 3:30, leave for work at 4;15, get to work at 6, leave work at 5::00, get home at 7:30-8:00, in bed at 8:30...long work days paired with a hellish commute, always longer coming home. My doctors agreed I had no time to work out other than walks at lunch.
  • dorothyp3
    dorothyp3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you're drained when you get home from work then the shakes aren't sustaining you. You need to get some good old oatmeal into your body for breakfast or lunch so that you've still got energy when you're finished work. It takes 2 minutes to make oatmeal from scratch. Throw a handful of berries on top and enjoy. You can do it. I know you can. And you'll still have some pep in the afternoon. Try it and let us know how you made out.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    dorothyp3 wrote: »
    If you're drained when you get home from work then the shakes aren't sustaining you. You need to get some good old oatmeal into your body for breakfast or lunch so that you've still got energy when you're finished work. It takes 2 minutes to make oatmeal from scratch. Throw a handful of berries on top and enjoy. You can do it. I know you can. And you'll still have some pep in the afternoon. Try it and let us know how you made out.

I'm not sure oatmeal is necessary (It does nothing for my satiety or energy!) but agree that something needs to change - OP, are shakes the only thing you have? If so, consider eating some real food! Carbs can make some people sleepy/lethargic, so perhaps playing around with different macro ratios would help with energy levels. Personally, if I eat many small meals, my energy goes up and down noticeably. I get better, more consistent energy eating less meals, and waiting to eat until later in the day.

Are you getting sufficient sleep? I know I couldn't handle your schedule as I do a lot at night. Waking up at 3 would kill me! I do work long hours though, and go to the gym on the way home. I pack all my stuff beforehand and have it in my car. If I went home I'd likely plonk myself down on the couch and never get back to the gym!
  • BeautifullyprofoundMC
    Options
    My shakes keep me going until I'm off of work. However If I work 12-13 hours it can be mentally draining. Oatmeal at 1:45am- 2am would be pretty hard. I usually have a shake at 6am and 8am my 1st break and lunch. But I think I need to add another if I work until 2 or 3pm. It's incorporating a fitness routine into this crazy work schedule that has me puzzled..
  • dryoung39
    dryoung39 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi yes you do need another shake or meal in your workday. I work ten hours and sometimes I have like four shakes at work alone.one meal and that's at lunch
  • dryoung39
    dryoung39 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat like every two hours I get tiered and sluggish by the end of the day
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If you can eat a handful of almonds on the way home. Start forcing yourself to walk a mile everyday. Its hard but when you make it a part of your daily routine for several weeks you will start to crave it. Start gradually adding some distance and build. This is how I started at 4:30 AM and it was killing me to get up and go. Now I don't even use an alarm clock and enjoy a 5 to 7 mile run most days.
  • Sandysphat
    Sandysphat Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Do t25 on your lunch break if you guys got like a separate break room where you could pop in a disk
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    After a 10-12 hour day, there is little that I look forward to more than getting on my bike...even if it's only a quick ride.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling drained by the afternoon, perhaps the shakes are not filling/satisfying enough? THough its also possible that once you become more active, you'll feel energetic.
    I need some advice on incorporating fitness into my crazy work life. I start work at 4am sometimes not ending my day until after 2pm or later. I drink shakes during my breakfast and lunch times, however by the end of my day I'm drained, a drive to a gym is not on my mind. I know it's time to pick a fitness routine but I'm very lost.. Does anyone have any great ideas or past experiences that I could include slowly to build up to a routine?

• BeautifullyprofoundMC
    Options
    Thanks for all your support!!
  • BeautifullyprofoundMC
    Options
  • BopsMiller
    BopsMiller Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I bought a little portable stepper at Walmart so I can get a little exercise at home. It was maybe $50. Maybe something like that would work for you? This one even has resistance bands. Check it out https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-Fitness-Stepper-Resistance/dp/B0016BQFSS
  • carolinelanewa
    carolinelanewa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I totally get the being drained at the end of your day. If i was honest in the early days I never wanted to exercise after work. But going to the gym straight from work became a habit. And it's great if you have a stressful job. I can have a bad day, go to the gym and feel heaps better when I walk out.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, I was getting up at 3:30, leave for work at 4;15, get to work at 6, leave work at 5::00, get home at 7:30-8:00, in bed at 8:30...long work days paired with a hellish commute, always longer coming home. My doctors agreed I had no time to work out other than walks at lunch.

You need a new job. Or, at least, I would if I had your schedule/commute. That sounds awful. I'd have a mental break-down. :s
  • BeautifullyprofoundMC
    Options
    Maybe your right lol