Not losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You're probably building some muscle with the swimming. I'd focus on the inch loss and not focus on the scales. You also may need to weigh out your food so you can accurately track. Are you eating back calories you're burning from swimming? You may also be having too little calories and your metabolism has completely slowed down.

lol...building muscle in one month not lifting weights and eating at a deficit? no.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You're probably building some muscle with the swimming. I'd focus on the inch loss and not focus on the scales. You also may need to weigh out your food so you can accurately track. Are you eating back calories you're burning from swimming? You may also be having too little calories and your metabolism has completely slowed down.

Not building muscle by swimming and eating in a deficit and the metabolism comment is not accurate either.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    fgolopb6duxj.png
    cups.png 354.8K
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    MsNnika wrote: »
    MsNnika wrote: »
    It's not just a matter of calories in vs calories out...

:huh: :noway:

yes, it really is...

What I was trying to say was: it matters what you eat, not just how many calories the food you eat contains. Eating 600 calories worth of junk food will affect you differently than a 600 calorie-meal of vegetables, fruit and meat (for example).

Affect you differently in the sense that you may feel fuller longer with whole, unprocessed foods yes, however all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Just google Twinkie or McDonalds diet. They still lost eating junk. Doesn't mean they were healthier for it, but if you create a calorie deficit and stick to it you will lose.
  • lwatts2
    lwatts2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    to lose 2lbs/week, MFP starts me out at 1500 calories everyday then adds the number of calories I lost from working out which usually gives a calorie total of about 2600/day. Can I eat all 2600 calories and still lose 2lbs/week????
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lwatts2 wrote: »
    to lose 2lbs/week, MFP starts me out at 1500 calories everyday then adds the number of calories I lost from working out which usually gives a calorie total of about 2600/day. Can I eat all 2600 calories and still lose 2lbs/week????

How are you measuring your burn?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

lol...building muscle in one month not lifting weights and eating at a deficit? no.

if only it was that easy ....
  • lwatts2
    Options

I use MyZone to track calorie burn
  • lwatts2
    Options
    lwatts2 wrote: »

I use MyZone to track calorie burn
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kaewi123 wrote: »
    no i have never used scale to weigh food. most time its from packaging and used the bar code to log it in. If i cook i try to estimate by logging in each ingredients.

There are two important parts to correctly logging food if calorie counting is the route you choose to take.

First is choosing correct entries in the database when you log. Scanning barcodes is great for this, but it is still prone to the same issues as the rest of the database. Be sure you're double-checking that the entry the barcode brings up matches the information on your package.

The other part is logging the same portion size as the amount you actually ate. This is where a food scale can be great. Personally I find it easier and less hassle than measuring cups and spoons, but anything would be better than eyeballing and guessing.

Think of it like trying to cut a piece of wood. If I need to cut a piece of wood so that it's one meter long, I can use the best measuring stick in the world, but it's not going to be accurate if I just whack at the wood with a hammer until it breaks in that general area. Likewise, even the most expensive saw in the world won't help my accuracy if I just guess at where the one meter mark is.

You need both accurate measuring tools and accurate entries from the database to be sure that you're eating the amount you think you are.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Muscle building on a deficit in 35 days? Highly unlikely...
  • kaewi123
    kaewi123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ok thanks all ! the comments were extremely useful! i have just realized that i measured in an inaccurate scale in the beginning which showed i was 60 kg 35 days ago. However, the gym changed it to a more accurate scale recently. I did measure again today and i am 59. So there is some progess, albeit a slow one. I do check my serving size when i scan the barcode of food. But when i cook I have been just eyeballing it. I realize that food scale is a really integral part of sticking with the strict calory count but I am a little reluctant to do that. Because i dont want to be that person that weighs everythibg that i eat and want to be able to eat normally in the future. But i do realize the importance of it and will consider getting one.

thanks all!