Runner looking to lose weight!!

Options
I picked up running to shed some weight. I've had some success, but am struggling and looking for nutrition support!!! Any friends are welcome!!! :)

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Of course everyone is different, but on run days I find myself much hungrier. I need to stay ahead of it before I'm starving and overeat. Lots and lots of water too.
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I concur with nowine. Lots and lots of water. I reduced my miles a little while losing weight actually and increased them during my current maintenance phase. Why? Because the hangry was getting to me and because it was just too stressful on my body. When I hit maintenance, with the extra fuel and lower weight, my times really dropped. 12 minute drop on a 10k.

I also drink a protein drink after a run . I am huge fan of low calorie protein drinks after a run.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Im a runner love it ! I eat alot of boiled eggs grapes peanut butter.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Also a runner! I usually feel a complete lack of hunger the day of a long run, but the next day I am hungry. I've found you have to really strategize when and how you eat before and after long runs to make sure you don't go off the rails with "runger" ;-)

Before a long run I'll eat a carb-heavyish meal at lunch the day before and a light, bland dinner (I also get runner/IBS issues). Pre-run I like a slice of toast with half a banana and peanut butter, or a small bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter (not sure why, but the peanut butter/starch combo works for me.)

The main thing is after running--I try to eat something high in protein within an hour, like a protein shake and fruit. If I do this, my hunger will remain "normal" the rest of the day. But I usually have NO appetite then, so it's hard to make myself eat it! If I skip this, I will be STARVING at dinner that day or breakfast the next day.

And with the exception of race day, I don't take any GUs or other supplements during the run...makes me really sick!!!

(Note: I'm talking about runs of 9-10 miles or more...regular runs don't require anything special from me!!)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    runger is a real thing...!!!! i am HM training and struggling with anything more than 100 cal deficit.

make sure you're eating enough fat & protein to help keep you full.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    The "runger" is strong with me. I trained for a marathon and gained weight because i thought i was burning more than i actually was with my training and i was eating everything.
  • Tashanicole444
    Tashanicole444 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what you runners set your activity level to. ??
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Royce284 wrote: »

Sedentary and I eat back my exercise cals.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Sedentary set to lose 1/2 lb a week. I eat about 100-200 calories above the # given to me to hit that goal, which is usually 1/4 or less of my calories burned. But I am 3 lbs. from goal weight so the losing is slow, and I just can't lose if I eat more than that.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't gain when running a lot. When I've done marathon training, I ate everything in sight just to keep from losing too much.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I don't gain when running a lot. When I've done marathon training, I ate everything in sight just to keep from losing too much.

I'd love to have that problem...
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sedentary, set for maintainance, and try to eat half the calories. Upping my training at the moment so not trying to lose at all
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow runners! I am never hungry immediately after a run. It's always the next day for me that the hunger kicks in which makes sense because we recover during rest periods, when we are not exercising or sleeping.

I have found I lag badly if I don't fuel pre run. Stubborness gets in the way. This was because I used to have the "I'm running for pizza mindset". The problem would be I wouldn't eat before I ran because I wanted to use my run calories for my huge pizza meal. I try to now eat something an hour or two before my run because my endurance is amazing with fueling before.

Funnily enough I used to tell myself "you can eat whatever you want after your run" and I would go eat cookies or something because I earned it. Which is true calorie wise but now I find myself reaching for protein rich moderate carb foods instead of "cheat food" (pizza/cookies). Now I crave my turkey tacos, protein shakes, cottage cheese and fruit. Fueling properly makes all the difference in recovery.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Sedentary, but I eat back most of my exercise calories. (Not all of them, because I think they're a little bit generous)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Mini_Medic wrote: »
    Hi fellow runners! I am never hungry immediately after a run. It's always the next day for me that the hunger kicks in which makes sense because we recover during rest periods, when we are not exercising or sleeping.

I have found I lag badly if I don't fuel pre run. Stubborness gets in the way. This was because I used to have the "I'm running for pizza mindset". The problem would be I wouldn't eat before I ran because I wanted to use my run calories for my huge pizza meal. I try to now eat something an hour or two before my run because my endurance is amazing with fueling before.

Funnily enough I used to tell myself "you can eat whatever you want after your run" and I would go eat cookies or something because I earned it. Which is true calorie wise but now I find myself reaching for protein rich moderate carb foods instead of "cheat food" (pizza/cookies). Now I crave my turkey tacos, protein shakes, cottage cheese and fruit. Fueling properly makes all the difference in recovery.

I'm more of a cyclist than a runner, but I've had a similar experience with fueling. On rides of 90 minutes or more, I make sure I eat something mid ride. I've had people on here try to tell me that it doesn't matter for anything less than 2 hours. Maybe that works for them, but all of my best times have been when I ate prior to the ride and during the ride. The body doesn't work like a gas tank where you have the same amount of power as long as it isn't empty. It is more like we have several engines with several fuel tanks and the choices we make determines which ones are active at any given time such that the cumulative power is greater.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    runger is a real thing...!!!! i am HM training and struggling with anything more than 100 cal deficit.

make sure you're eating enough fat & protein to help keep you full.

even worse than runger is swimger....lol!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and struggle with runger. I do my long runs on Friday and have no issues with appetite that same day. The next day is the problem - I want to eat the world on Saturdays!