Does black coffee help or hurt your weight loss?

Options
I feel like it keeps me from being hungry in the morning but when the bottom falls out in the afternoon I'm starving. Wondering if coffee is the culprit...

Replies

• kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Coffee is just water passed through ground coffee beans; it has no impact on your weight loss.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Caffeine is an appetite suppressant. Black coffee is about 5 calories for 2 cups. If you like it, drink it. It's not going to sustain you all day, though. Your body need calories to function.

I personally drink coffee as my first "meal" of the day. I am up around 5:00, coffee at 7:00, "breakfast" around 9:30, lunch about 1:00, snack at 3:00, dinner about 7:30, dessert before bed.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Coffee shouldn't hurt. If anything, it seems like the caffeine might help? I thought I'd read that caffeine can help with hunger but I'm not sure. I imagine if it does it probably doesn't do much. Anyway, if you're hungry, either you're not eating enough, or you're not eating enough of certain things. Like, if I eat more protein- and fiber-rich foods, I am less hungry. If more of my calories go to other things, I'm more hungry.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    https://examine.com/supplements/caffeine/ is probably the best place to look up information.

Here's some relevant paragraphs from the site:
    30 minutes after an oral dose of 4mg/kg caffeine (in obese women), a metabolic spike was seen in all subjects but to a widely varied degree; this spike is able to reduce body weight when in conjunction with a low-calorie regimen in all subjects though.[224] This dose, 4mg/kg bodyweight, is approximately equal to 3 cups of regular coffee (average caffeine content) for persons with a BMI in the normal range.[225]

Despite the high variance seen, average increases seem to be around 34kJ/m2/hour, which translates to 8.1 calories per hour for every meter of body surface area a person has.[225] The standard 'average' for adult humans of normal weight is 1.73m2, which translates into 14kcal per hour. Some studies note higher values (32.4kcal/h) with higher dosages of caffeine (400mg).[226]
    Caffeine has been implicated in suppressing food intake in rats[233] although studies in humans are less promising. One study noted no significant suppression of appetite or food intake in men with 3mg/kg bodyweight caffeine[234] whereas another did note suppression of food intake in men, but not women, with 300mg caffeine.[235]
  • aaronmefford
    aaronmefford Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Interesting thanks, I guess I was thing in terms of it effects on insulin production. If it could make you produce more and as a result feel more hunger later in the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Interesting thanks, I guess I was thing in terms of it effects on insulin production. If it could make you produce more and as a result feel more hunger later in the day.

Nah...it's basically water.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Only if you load it with sugar.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    It certainly hasn't hurt my weight loss.

That said, if I drink too much coffee ... like when I get into my 6th cup ... I can start feeling kind of jittery like I feel when I'm really hungry. I could mistake that jittery feeling for hunger. So I try to cap my coffee consumption at 5 cups.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    coffee doesn't have any impact on insulin production, unless you add sugar.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It can make your stomach upset though, if you have too much.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit controls weight loss.

For me; black coffee provides caffeine and drinking it takes my mind off food so in that sense it does help me with losing weight through dietary adherence.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    It can make your stomach upset though, if you have too much.

I'm still searching for that amount.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Are you only have coffee for breakfast? If so, that's why you are hungry in the afternoon! I have it every morning with breakfast and am losing at a steady rate.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I only have coffee for breakfast. Two cups with a total of 4 tbsps of Half&Half and I won't eat/not hungry until 12pm.
  • brennawaterhouse19
    brennawaterhouse19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is great for you! Same with green tea. They both have antioxidants, lowers risk of type 2 diabetes, and reduces the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease. The problem becomes when you drink too much of it or put lots of sugar and cream in it! One cup of black coffee a day has great benefits!
  • brennawaterhouse19
    brennawaterhouse19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    Are you only have coffee for breakfast? If so, that's why you are hungry in the afternoon! I have it every morning with breakfast and am losing at a steady rate.

I'm learning in my nutrition class that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day and dinner should be the smallest! To help with this, eat lots of protien for breakfast. Keeps you full longer!

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Coffee (sometimes I have it black, sometimes with 1TB of half and half) absolutely helps my weight loss, because it keeps me from feeling too stabby around people. Coffee is a coping mechanism. Otherwise, it's digestive properties have little impact on the actual process of weight loss, other than I count the calories...
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »

I'm learning in my nutrition class that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day and dinner should be the smallest! To help with this, eat lots of protien for breakfast. Keeps you full longer!

How a person feels full is very individual. Some people need breakfast and some people skip all food until late in the day when all calories are consumed within a small window of eating (Intermittent Fasting).

When you eat has exactly zero percent to do with nutrition and everything to do with an individuals perception on how food makes them feel.