Office Workouts

Options
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, I did check and didn't see any thing.

So being new to all this I've researched like hell and found my job is killing me, so to speak.

I work an office job, 9-5 in a chair. After reading about sitting more than 6 hours a day harms health, no matter how hard/long you work out for. I'm feeling the need to incorporate exercised into my daily office life.

I have found that doing squats, lunges, getting a balance ball are good, walking around on your lunch break, etc.

Anybody have any other suggestions? If you also have a desk job, what do you do to fit in exercise during the day?

Replies

• grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Me and a few of my other colleagues started doing workout dvds a few days a week during our lunch hour. Leslie Sansone's "Walk away the pounds" is mild enough where you won't sweat your butt off and feel like you need a shower afterwards but it gets the heart going. We would do the 2 mile session (approximately 20 mins long), and then the other 40 minutes we'd use that to have our lunch.

I also make it a point to get up and walk around as much as possible.

I recently brought in an old yoga mat to my office. Once a day I close my door for a few minutes and stretch out. As you know sitting at the desk for a prolonged period of time can put strain on shoulders, back, neck, etc...Stretching out really helps kind of reset my posture and gives me a little extra boost of energy to make it through the day w/out the aid of caffeine. :)
  • sherryb3052
    Options
    I am fortunate to have a walking track outside where I work but laps around the parking lot on your lunch break is better than nothing. I'm new to this also and just getting started. Good Luck!
  • Ericav05
    Ericav05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like to get up every hour and go up and down our eight levels of stairs here at the office! I'll do different variations of going up the stairs each time to work out different muscle groups and keep it interesting. :)
  • izziexoxoCovergirl
    Options
    its freezing where i am but i think i am going to walk during my lunch like i use to in the summer. since the winter i went from 168 to 174 so i know sitting down every day is terrible
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Does your office building have stairs? If so, take advantage! I work on the 11th floor so I try to take the stairs as much as I can. I just hope I don't see anyone until I stop huffing and puffing :)

Taking a walk at lunch is a good idea too. It gets the blood pumping and wakes you up a bit. I work in a cube so I can't do anything crazy but I need to stretch during the day so I do that in the bathroom.

Other than that, just do circles around your office if you feel like you've been sitting for too long.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant with my daughter after losing 40 pounds and I was terrified I would gain it all back. I did loans, a typical office behind a desk job. I bought a pedal exerciser from a medical supply store, put it under my desk and pedaled until my heart was content, also brought a big exercise ball to sit on, helped my back as well. I used the pedal exerciser for my arms and pedaled with my arms in the break room on my lunch hour then walked the block around the building for the other 30 mins.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Here's my Koverhaul Cubicle Workout:

15 Glute Squeezes – Sitting straight in your chair with your feet flat on the floor, contract your glutes and hold for 2-3 seconds so that you raise up a bit in your chair before relaxing muscles.

15 Arm Circles in each direction – Extend arms and make small clockwise circles with your fingertips. Switch directions to repeat circles counterclockwise.

15 Shoulder Clenches - Show off your traps by rolling back the shoulders until the shoulder blades are pinched together. Pretend you’re holding a pencil between the scapulas (or try it for real!). Hold for 5-10 seconds, release, and repeat.

15 Abdominal Contractions – Sit in your chair with a straight back and pull your belly button in towards your spine. Hold for 5 seconds for each repetition.

15 Seated Leg Raises - While seated, straighten one or both legs and hold in place for five or more seconds. Then lower the leg(s) back to the ground without letting the feet touch the floor. Repeat (alternating legs if raising them separately).

15 Shoulder Raises - Simply raise both shoulders up toward the ears, hold for 5 seconds, then relax.

15 Squats – This is an easy way to bump up your calorie burn and tone glutes and thighs in an office workout when you are limited on space.

15 Wall Push Ups – To tone your chest with an office exercise routine, do push ups against the wall (you can do regular push ups if you’re not in a dress and/or have enough space).

15 Neck Stretches - For the first isometric neck strengthening trick, put your head in your hands and press your palms into your forehead as if trying to push the head backward. Resist the motion by engaging the neck muscles. Next, clasp the hands behind the back of the head and try to push the head backward, resisting the motion with your hands. Hold each deskercise for 5 seconds. Slowly release, rest, and repeat.

15 Foot Rocks – While sitting tall in your chair, position your legs to 90 degrees and place your feet flat on the floor. Press the balls of your feet into the floor to lift your heels as high as possible. Squeeze your calves at the top of the movement. Lower your heels back to the floor and immediately lift your toes 1 to 2 inches off the floor so that the muscle on the front of your shin is fully contracted. Lower your toes back to the floor.
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just bought the "walk away the pounds" DVD last night actually!

Thank you Samuraiko, I actually printed that workout out and taped it on the wall lol

These are all great ideas thank you!!, I have been using the stairs from now on, and parking my car a block away lol. Force myself to walk any chance I get.

I understand about huffing and puffing, lol I was doing crunches on my break, when a client called and I had to very slowly answer the phone trying not to sound all out of breath, and having said client think something much worse >.<
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    so many things you can do but the biggest one is to get up every hour and move around. sitting for long periods of time is now being considered the same as going out for a smoke break. make it a point to take all calls standing up, walk around, you can also do :

wall sits
    alternating lunges
    tricep dips in your office chair
    pushups on your desk standing up
    sit up and tighten abs for 5 minutes at a time.
  • SashaQ1381
    SashaQ1381 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant with my daughter after losing 40 pounds and I was terrified I would gain it all back. I did loans, a typical office behind a desk job. I bought a pedal exerciser from a medical supply store, put it under my desk and pedaled until my heart was content, also brought a big exercise ball to sit on, helped my back as well. I used the pedal exerciser for my arms and pedaled with my arms in the break room on my lunch hour then walked the block around the building for the other 30 mins.

Hi!

Did the pedal exercising help?
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    tricep dips in your office chair

hehe
    add chair with wheels and this could be hilarious for colleagues!

Thanks @Samuraiko - those are great!
    And everyone else! I am going to print some of these!

• Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I completely get you! I've had my job for 7 years and am in my office for 11-12 hours a day, sometimes I don't even eat all day or go to the bathroom until I get home at 7pm. And on my least active days I have come home and looked at my pedometer to find it as low as 550 steps (it was usually at least around 1,200). I have started taking 30 walks at lunch, and then taking 30 minutes to have lunch at my desk and do stretches. I have reminders set to go off and remind me to stand up. Sometimes I will do a couple yoga moves on the floor. I have stopped caring what people think and will do whatever I can to keep moving every so often. Though we are not allowed to wear fitness trackers or have phones/apps at work, so that is pretty demotivating.

I can still feel it killing me slowly, as you said a sitting job will do, which is one of many reasons I'm quitting later this year to start over (plus: I flat out hate my career). I need a job where I move and use my hands and personality, more than a stationary behind-the-scenes analytic one.
  • bethany35
    bethany35 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Even small changes can make a difference. The floor I work on is pretty big. I make it a point to go to the restroom that is on the other end of the building. Also, any time I get up for water, copier, or to talk to a colleague I take a lap around the floor. I sweat like crazy so walking outside, in the summer, in Alabama is NOT an option. If it's a cooler day or overcast I try to sneak in a walk outside around the courtyard. I've tried to do some exercises in my cubicle, but I'm self conscious someone will walk by and see me. I have no idea why I care. Maybe one day I'll get over it.
  • phenomenal_woman2016
    phenomenal_woman2016 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I completely get you! I've had my job for 7 years and am in my office for 11-12 hours a day, sometimes I don't even eat all day or go to the bathroom until I get home at 7pm. And on my least active days I have come home and looked at my pedometer to find it as low as 550 steps (it was usually at least around 1,200). I have started taking 30 walks at lunch, and then taking 30 minutes to have lunch at my desk and do stretches. I have reminders set to go off and remind me to stand up. Sometimes I will do a couple yoga moves on the floor. I have stopped caring what people think and will do whatever I can to keep moving every so often. Though we are not allowed to wear fitness trackers or have phones/apps at work, so that is pretty demotivating.

I can still feel it killing me slowly, as you said a sitting job will do, which is one of many reasons I'm quitting later this year to start over (plus: I flat out hate my career). I need a job where I move and use my hands and personality, more than a stationary behind-the-scenes analytic one.

What do you do that you cannot wear a fitness tracker? That sounds awful