No scale, is there another weigh to be accurate about calories.

Options
Scanning the barcode is only good for purchased items.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Weight is the most accurate way to measure food (and should ideally be done even when scanning the barcode because even purchased items can have a different actual weight than what is on the package). You can use measuring cups/spoons as a compromise, but there can be pretty big variances between what you can fit in a cup/spoon and what you think you're actually consuming.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    And even then measurements can be off. Why no scale?
  • aaronmefford
    aaronmefford Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Idk until today I though I could trust packages and what I looked up on mfp
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Lots of sales are in scales Amazon has one on scale for $7.49 and up right now. If you don't have prime you can get a free 30 day membership and order it with free shipping. Also feel free to shop around some more but a plethora of options are available that won't break the bank some for less than a lunch meal!
  • PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A decent scale isn't that expensive and I highly recommend it - I was really surprised about how much or little of each food I could eat.
  • aaronmefford
    aaronmefford Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Scanning the package and using a food scale correct two separate problems.

There are two sides to good logging: choosing correct entries and logging correct portion sizes.

Scanning the package gives you a good chance of finding the correct entry (although it still has the same problems as the rest of the database and you should double-check the entry it pulls up). Using a food scale gives you a good chance of logging the portion size that you actually ate. The two in combination are great, but just using one or the other can cause problems.

I lost the bulk of my weight without a food scale. I use a food scale today because I find it to be easier and less hassle than measuring cups and spoons, but I won't say that a food scale is an absolute necessity. If you aren't measuring your portion sizes at all yet, then anything will be more accurate than eyeballing or guessing at how much you ate. You can usually get a set of measuring cups and spoons for a few dollars. Food scales for less than $20 most places. Take your pick, but be sure that you're A. Choosing correct entries and B. Logging correct portions.

Some useful reading:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10191216/the-most-important-thing-you-can-do-to-lose-weight
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    TBH I eat more food now then when I didn't have a scale. I feel so confident that every week I have no surprises on the scale. It sounds tedious but it's helped tremendously.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    TBH I eat more food now then when I didn't have a scale. I feel so confident that every week I have no surprises on the scale. It sounds tedious but it's helped tremendously.

Same thing here. I eat more during my meals that meet my macros. I eat whole foods , have less snack cravings, and I'm still losing weight.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I have never used a scale...it is just not a habit I want to be forced to use for the rest of my life. Nothing wrong with it, just not my preference.

When I am tracking calories closely, I just use measuring cups, tablespoons, and estimates. Is it exact? No...but if you are consistent in the way you measure it works. For example, if I buy a package of chicken that weighs 2 pounds and has 6 chicken breasts, I just go with the assumption that each breast is 1/3 of a pound. Over time, it comes out right.

If you track this way for several weeks, and aren't losing what you would expect to, then you can safely assume you are underestimating and simply adjust the measurements you record to reflect that. Personally, I never had to adjust.

This ^ I started and was successful for a long time without a scale, through simple trial and error, estimate/eat/wait to see, if no loss then adjust. I ended up getting a scale but only used it for about a month. It taught me a lot about portion especially for meats but I don't want to have to use one everyday (and I don't, currently). I do dry measure some things, especially trigger foods.

Also, I have a quite a bit to lose so have more wiggle room than most.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    brznhabits wrote: »
    I have never used a scale...it is just not a habit I want to be forced to use for the rest of my life. Nothing wrong with it, just not my preference.

When I am tracking calories closely, I just use measuring cups, tablespoons, and estimates. Is it exact? No...but if you are consistent in the way you measure it works. For example, if I buy a package of chicken that weighs 2 pounds and has 6 chicken breasts, I just go with the assumption that each breast is 1/3 of a pound. Over time, it comes out right.

If you track this way for several weeks, and aren't losing what you would expect to, then you can safely assume you are underestimating and simply adjust the measurements you record to reflect that. Personally, I never had to adjust.

This ^ I started and was successful for a long time without a scale, through simple trial and error, estimate/eat/wait to see, if no loss then adjust. I ended up getting a scale but only used it for about a month. It taught me a lot about portion especially for meats but I don't want to have to use one everyday (and I don't, currently). I do dry measure some things, especially trigger foods.

Honest question to both of you out of my curiosity--why is a scale a bad thing to use for measurement but measuring cups/spoons not considered to be the same kind of burden?
    I second that question.

I found measuring cups/spoons much more onerous. I tried using them when I started MFP and that meant more dishes to clean. The food scale is mostly either me weighing on the plate I'm going to use to eat or weighing what I've removed from the container by using the scale's tare function.

I started out weighing more items than I weigh now. I've figured out what's close enough without weighing and what isn't in order to stay on track logging-wise.

Ultimately, the important part is to find what's most comfortable for you while giving you the weight gain/maintenance/loss results you want.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I don't use a scale either. I do use measuring cups or spoons sometimes.

But about 10 years ago when I first started working on weight loss, I did measure everything - or at least, everything I could. Now I'm able to estimate most things. If I weren't losing weight, I would probably go back to measuring more.

Btw, the calories that we log are just an estimate, because there's some natural variation in foods. Weighing or measuring just helps make the estimate more accurate.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    brznhabits wrote: »

Honest question to both of you out of my curiosity--why is a scale a bad thing to use for measurement but measuring cups/spoons not considered to be the same kind of burden?

To be clear, I never said a scale was bad. It's just not for me.

The reason I don't mind using spoons and cups is that if I'm going to eat peanut butter, I need to use a spoon to get it out of the jar regardless. It adds no extra work while a scale would. Same with hummus, cottage cheese, and many other liquid/soft things I eat.

If I decide to have hummus, baby carrots, cottage cheese and a little salsa with a leftover piece of chicken for dinner...my way I need no extra utensils or plates or time. It really takes little to no extra effort. I just guess on the baby carrots based on bag size and number...frankly, carrots have few calories so even if I am VERY off, it is not significant. I use my average chicken piece weight for the chicken. I use the spoon to estimate the hummus, cottage cheese (the cottage cheese size I buy has 4 servings in the container...it is not hard to spoon out about 1/4 of the container by looking at it) and salsa then use that spoon to eat.

If I wanted to use a scale, I have to weight the everything separately. It is just a major hassle. And do you use a clean dish for each thing you weigh? You must to be accurate, otherwise cottage cheese residue with throw off your hummus weight and then the world will come to an end! How do you account for the sauce on the chicken since you can't separate it from the chicken to weigh separately? And what do I do when I go out to have a nice dinner at a restaurant? Panic? Bring my scale and sit there weighing my steak? Demand to speak to the chef and find out exactly how much butter or oil he used? No...I just estimate like I do at home by eyeballing it and making a guess on oils and things.

I'm not saying EVERYBODY should do things my way. But I lost 100 pounds and went from obese to a normal weight with no scale or stress, and millions of people in human history have done the same. You don't NEED a scale. If you like weighting, WONDERFUL! I'm happy for you. It's just not my thing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I think it's totally possible for people to lose weight without a scale (lots of people here have done it) and I'm not saying they're necessary for everyone. The context of *this thread* however, is an OP who is wondering why he is not losing despite logging a low number of calories each day.

If you don't use a scale and get good results, there's no reason to change unless you think you'd prefer a scale.

If you aren't using a scale and you aren't seeing the results you expect, it may be time to try a more accurate way of measuring and I think that is what is being suggested to OP here. In this case, it isn't really about being "happy" either way, it's about helping someone get the right information to make calorie counting work well for him.
  • Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I never weigh the food... like others say, it's a hassle.

When I'm in doubt about the quantity, I try to overestimate a bit so that I can assure myself that I'm within my goal of the day.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If I wanted to use a scale, I have to weight the carrots, then remove them from the scale. Then measure and weigh the cottage cheese. Then remove it. Then weigh the hummus, etc. It is just a major hassle. And do you use a clean dish for each thing you weigh? You must to be accurate, otherwise cottage cheese residue with throw off your hummus weight and then the world will come to an end! And what do I do when I go out to have a nice dinner at a restaurant? Panic? Bring my scale and sit there weighing my steak? Demand to speak to the chef and find out exactly how much butter or oil he used? No...I just estimate like I do at home by eyeballing it and making a guess on oils and things.
    I would do it one of two ways:

1. I would put the plate on the scale and hit the tare button to zero out the scale. Add the carrots to the plate until I get the weight that I want, log it, then hit the tare button. Add the cottage cheese, log, hit the tare button. Add the hummus, log it.

2. Put the bag of carrots on the scale, tare the scale, remove the carrots that I want, put the bag back on the scale to see the negative number for how many grams I've removed, log it, remove the bag. Put the cottage cheese container on the scale, tare the scale, remove the cottage cheese that I want, put the container back on the scale to see how many grams I've removed, log it, remove the container. Put the hummus container on the scale, tare the scale, remove the cottage cheese that I want, put the container back on the scale to see how many grams I've removed, log it.

Weighing is still an estimate but it's a closer estimate than measuring cups/spoons and both of those are a closer estimate than eyeballing. If eyeballing gets the job done for you on a consistent basis, that's awesome and there's no reason to change what works.

It took practice but using the scale doesn't take much more time than eyeballing after I've used it for so long now and takes me less time than breaking out the measuring cups/spoons. When I'm away from my scale, I eyeball. When my scale is handy, I use it.