Toning verses losing weight

Options
If I'm wanting to tone certain areas/ lose inches but not necessarily lose weight do I still need to lower my calorie intake or just work on the working out part?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You need to look into recomp--maintaining your weight, while losing fat. It takes a long time to do, but is successful. There's a great thread running on recomp by usmcmp.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    you can lift or workout out/exercise perfectly fine in maintenance, and have great results.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    If I'm wanting to tone certain areas/ lose inches but not necessarily lose weight do I still need to lower my calorie intake or just work on the working out part?

If you truly have inches to lose, then your goal is fat loss. You don't need to eat less for that, but you do need to be in a calorie deficit.
    "Toning" exercises won't shed inches, since fat loss can't be targeted. For more on that, google "spot reduction myth". :+1:
  • robynrstiles
    robynrstiles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

If you truly have inches to lose, then your goal is fat loss. You don't need to eat less for that, but you do need to be in a calorie deficit.
    "Toning" exercises won't shed inches, since fat loss can't be targeted. For more on that, google "spot reduction myth". :+1:

How would you "not eat less but be in a calorie deficit?" Not eat back exercise calories?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

How would you "not eat less but be in a calorie deficit?" Not eat back exercise calories?

Introducing additional activity/exercise without changing current diet if you're at maintenance without exercise.
  • robynrstiles
    robynrstiles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Introducing additional activity/exercise without changing current diet if you're at maintenance without exercise.

I am at maintenance and workout 45 minutes a day.