1 year later and frustrated

Options
jerb00
jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
One year later and I weigh exactly the same. April of last year I freaked cuz I was the heaviest I had ever been (38 y.o. 4'10" female ~104 lbs). I went down to 1200 cals, 94 lbs, but then I realized I was really flabby. Started strong curves for a long while, did strong lifts till I couldn't really add weight anymore with out feeling like I was dying, and now I am doing a wendler variation hybrid withS focus on hypertrophy. I went from being a a deficit for the whole time (even though after the initial weight loss I thought I moved into mainltenience), to now being on the higher end of maintenance. Between 1550-1700 daily. After reading a receiving advice I decided I needed to increase my cals and see what would happen as I didn't seem to be really getting much definition. So, this brings me to today...1 year master and the same weight. My glutes are def bigger and perkier, but that is about it. The thigh measurement is the same. I see s slight definition in quads and hamstrings that was maybe not there a year ago, but I feel pudgier than I did over the summer. I am carrying more weight in my stomach and hips and the thighs- always my problem area- just look stockier. I am really feeling low. On the plus side, my face looks better than when I was 8 lbs lighter, but it is little consolation. Not sure really where to go from here...

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need a long term bulk if you want more muscle. How long have you actually been eating over maintenance?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    What fat % are you? Have you been tracking it? Is it time for a few lbs cut for the summer? You don't say what your goal is--more muscle, less fat, what? Are you still flabby? It sounds like you've had a great progressive lifting program.

I have been the same weight since last summer but am still shedding inches and sizes because I am recomping. At some point, especially if you are building and/or preserving muscle, you need to stop caring about the scale and getting frustrated by it.
  • jerb00
    Options
    The truth is I am afraid of a long term bulk. I am already wider than I was a few months ago and to keep it going concerns me.

I do want more muscle but I don't want to look frumpy. I do t have a lot of room to play with.
  • jerb00
    Options
    What fat % are you? Have you been tracking it? Is it time for a few lbs cut for the summer? You don't say what your goal is--more muscle, less fat, what? Are you still flabby? It sounds like you've had a great progressive lifting program.

I have been the same weight since last summer but am still shedding inches and sizes because I am recomping. At some point, especially if you are building and/or preserving muscle, you need to stop caring about the scale and getting frustrated by it.

I don't know my %. My goal is less fat but toned looking and I guess I can't really get there based on what I currently have to work with. Apparently I am not muscular enough to lose fat and show defined muscle. I don't want to care about the scale, and I honestly probably wouldn't have except for the fact that I am noticing I look pudgier than normal. I feel like I have just been spinning my wheels.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    If you are 4'10 and 94lbs you aren't fat. Your bmi is 20. That is in the healthy range. If you just want more definition then maybe talk to the lifters on here.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    The scale is only ONE tool to measure your progress. Have you been taking your measurements? For me personally, those are much more important than the scale. I'm short too and the number on the scale can be the same but my body shape and proportions very different when lifting heavy and consistently. Also, take progress pics. The mind and memory can be very deceiving. Having actual proof really helps.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    104 I'd still pretty small, even with muscles. Are you still trying to build muscle? Your post is all over the place and hard to understand your goal.
  • jerb00
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It sounds like you need a long term bulk if you want more muscle. How long have you actually been eating over maintenance?

Not very long. I'm gonna sound stupid...like 3 weeks. But I had been maintaining at 97 for a good long time. Sorta freaking...
  • jerb00
    Options
    If you are 4'10 and 94lbs you aren't fat. Your bmi is 20. That is in the healthy range. If you just want more definition then maybe talk to the lifters on here.

1 am at 104 now. And, i know I am it fat- I'm not, but I am skinny fat. Lots of chunk in the bum and thigh area. I did talk to the lifters. They helped a lot and are very knowledgeable, but j don't see anything happening in real life...
  • jerb00
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    The scale is only ONE tool to measure your progress. Have you been taking your measurements? For me personally, those are much more important than the scale. I'm short too and the number on the scale can be the same but my body shape and proportions very different when lifting heavy and consistently. Also, take progress pics. The mind and memory can be very deceiving. Having actual proof really helps.

No pics but I do have the tape measure. Started at 20.5 too if thigh, went down the 19.5 by the end of the summer, right back to 20.5 today. :/
  • jerb00
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    104 I'd still pretty small, even with muscles. Are you still trying to build muscle? Your post is all over the place and hard to understand your goal.

Sorry for rambling post. I want the toned look everyone talks about. Thought I'd get there by losing weight, but didn't. Thought I'd try lifting at deficit and maintenance to get there, but didn't. It was suggested that I don't have enough muscle to give me the look I want even if I lost more fat, so eating above maintenance and lifting should get me where I want to be- larger muscles less fat. Really, I just look fatter.
  • rybo
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »

Sorry for rambling post. I want the toned look everyone talks about. Thought I'd get there by losing weight, but didn't. Thought I'd try lifting at deficit and maintenance to get there, but didn't. It was suggested that I don't have enough muscle to give me the look I want even if I lost more fat, so eating above maintenance and lifting should get me where I want to be- larger muscles less fat. Really, I just look fatter.

Gotcha. Well, since you aren't starting from having much muscle, building a lot is tough and is going to come with some fat gain. That's just how it is for many people. I know it's going to freak you out, but you may have to get a bit bigger than you want, so that you can lean down. Or you need to be a lot more patient and build slowly almost as if doing a recomp.
  • French_Peasant
    Options

Not very long. I'm gonna sound stupid...like 3 weeks. But I had been maintaining at 97 for a good long time. Sorta freaking...

Bulk/cut cycles can be psychologically challenging, so you need to make sure you are in the right place mentally before you embark on this. It doesn't sound like you are there yet. When you bulk, adding on fat comes part and parcel with adding on muscle, and your genetics will determine how much muscle you can add. Since you were sitting comfortably at 97 lbs, you may want to consider recomping instead, and maybe next winter consider another long, slow, clean bulk over a period of several months--if gaining muscle/strength is more important to you than sitting on the lower end of your healthy BMI range. With either recomp or bulk/cut, it takes commitment for the long haul, and you just have to bring a lot of stubborness and a thick skin for doing what is best in the long run.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

It takes months and years of hard work to build an appreciable physique, especially as a woman. Patience is probably the best thing I can prescribe.
  • jerb00
    Options

Gotcha. Well, since you aren't starting from having much muscle, building a lot is tough and is going to come with some fat gain. That's just how it is for many people. I know it's going to freak you out, but you may have to get a bit bigger than you want, so that you can lean down. Or you need to be a lot more patient and build slowly almost as if doing a recomp.

Bulk/cut cycles can be psychologically challenging, so you need to make sure you are in the right place mentally before you embark on this. It doesn't sound like you are there yet. When you bulk, adding on fat comes part and parcel with adding on muscle, and your genetics will determine how much muscle you can add. Since you were sitting comfortably at 97 lbs, you may want to consider recomping instead, and maybe next winter consider another long, slow, clean bulk over a period of several months--if gaining muscle/strength is more important to you than sitting on the lower end of your healthy BMI range. With either recomp or bulk/cut, it takes commitment for the long haul, and you just have to bring a lot of stubborness and a thick skin for doing what is best in the long run.
    DopeItUp wrote: »

It takes months and years of hard work to build an appreciable physique, especially as a woman. Patience is probably the best thing I can prescribe.

Thanks for the responses. I am not a very patient person, so this will be a physical and emotional challenge. The truth is that I thought I'd see an appreciable difference in a year- maybe not what my ideal look is- but a def improvement and there isn't one.

So this brings me to my next question as I am not mentally prepared for a true bulk- if I continue the modified wendler program (strength and hypertrophy focused 5 days. Week lifting) with my new increased cals set between 1550-1700 will I continue to gain fat or have I sort of peaked and will just maintain at this point? Like, I get that I can't build real muscle at this point but will I keep gaining fat or stay where I am? Would i be basically spinning my wheels?
  • rybo
    Options
    You should be able to still build muscle. It's going to depend on your program and how much surplus you eat. How long have you been running this routine? You might get better results from a different one.
  • French_Peasant
    Options

DopeItUp wrote: »

Thanks for the responses. I am not a very patient person, so this will be a physical and emotional challenge. The truth is that I thought I'd see an appreciable difference in a year- maybe not what my ideal look is- but a def improvement and there isn't one.

So this brings me to my next question as I am not mentally prepared for a true bulk- if I continue the modified wendler program (strength and hypertrophy focused 5 days. Week lifting) with my new increased cals set between 1550-1700 will I continue to gain fat or have I sort of peaked and will just maintain at this point? Like, I get that I can't build real muscle at this point but will I keep gaining fat or stay where I am? Would i be basically spinning my wheels?

If you are eating at a slight deficit or at maintenance and lifting progressively, that will be a recomp, and you will slooooowly pare away fat and add muscle. If you are slightly above maintenance, you will sloooooowly add both fat and muscle, but you will want to wrap your head around the fact that that is not bad, as you can then pare the fat away in the cut cycle (assuming you can be disciplined with the lower calorie portion of this cycle, which is a different challenge).

How has your lifting been with the increase in calories--have you noticed good progress there?

I definitely get the frustration part...I have been lifting for a year, and really regret losing most of my weight before I understood the importance of preserving muscle. Also, I have a slab of fat still riding over my abs, about the size of a 1-lb flank steak, and it just drives me nuts! It's just my genetics and not much I can do about it but patiently pare away bit by bit. And it can be hard to see the changes from day to day, but maybe you have some photos where you can compare the progress from over the year? In your description of your glutes and such, it definitely sounds like you have made some great progress--a perky booty is always nice!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If you aren't prepared for a bulk, do a recomp. Keep lifting, stick with a program and give it your all. It looks like in the last year you switched programs twice (so you ran three programs within the year). Pick a program, stick with it for the long haul, eat at maintenance. A recomp is a very slow process but for those people who can't handle a bulk (I am one of them) it's a good option. Take pictures and measurements frequently as you might not notice the little changes that are happening but a photo can and it can be really helpful with motivation.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you keep your cals where they are, and if you are now maintaining weight, you will continue to maintain and be doing a recomp running Wendlers.

I do think 1500-1700 is a big spread for your size. I would look at zeroing in on maintenance calories using a TDEE calculator ( plus personal data) as your workouts are consistent. I will edit at the end with a link to the sailrabbit calculator. I am petite and find this, using the M StJ, is the most accurate for me, it does give a good spread of all calculations though.

If the fluff is really getting to you you may want to do a mini cut, 250cal and continuing lifting, down to 98-100 then continue a recomp from there.

Recomps are slow. I have been doing one for 3 years ( I go off plan a few odd months a year so expect it to be extra slow) and couldn't see any results until I put a series of pictures side by side. Sometimes the visual tells more than the scale or tape measure.

Cheers, h.
    TDEE calculator.
    http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    In the end you have to pick your battle. I am not a patient person either, so I chose to bulk and cut. For me there was just not enough muscle or fat for me to recomp successfully to reach my goals. However bulking is mentally and physically difficult so I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't ready for it. Recomp, where you can add muscle and lose fat (over a longer period of time) is great if you are happy with your weight but not your composition. However practicing patience will be key as well as being consistent with your eating and programming. I would also recommend you start taking progress photos.. there will be small changes over time that may not be visible to you everyday.