Within calories but too many sugar foods?

Options
I have kept within my 1,200 calories but some weekends this consists of say some ice-cream and hot cross buns. Is this still OK if it is only at the weekends as it is within the calories or not?!

Thank you :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matters...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to limit sugars?

If you're asking in regards to weight loss, the calories are the important thing to focus on.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Simple answer is YES!!!
  • alysha_x
    alysha_x Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No way, thanks for getting back to me that is so helpful to know! I have been loosing pounds so I guess that is good... Also do you guys eat your logged workout calories? x
  • alysha_x
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to limit sugars?

If you're asking in regards to weight loss, the calories are the important thing to focus on.

I just get down and head towards sugar! Most days are ok these days so I have improved!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    alysha_x wrote: »
    No way, thanks for getting back to me that is so helpful to know! I have been loosing pounds so I guess that is good... Also do you guys eat your logged workout calories? x

I do. If your calorie goal comes from MFP, it's designed for you to eat back your exercise calories (especially if your goal is very low, as yours is). The trick is making sure you don't over-estimate the calories you are burning. Exercise machines and the MFP database sometimes can over-estimate. For this reason, some people start with just eating a portion of them back and then adjust based on their real life results.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,024 Member
    Options
    It is ok to eat sugar any day as long as you are in your calories and don't have a medical reason to limit them. If you used mfp to get your calorie goal then you should be eating back your exercise calories. Some people find that the exercise calories are inflated so a good rule of thumb is to eat back half and then reevaluate in about 4 weeks. If you are losing faster than expected you should eat back more, if slower eat back less and if you are losing at your expected rate then you are eating the right amount back.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I eat back all my calories; as noted above, most people recommend to eat back 50% to 75% as burns can be overinflated either thru MFP or what a machine tells you; but I lost steadily eating them all, along with plenty of ice cream and pastries (although it is important to note that the current pillars of my diet are 100+ g of protein and 800+ g of fruits/veggies every day for retaining/building muscle and good nutrition/health).

One caveat: I am not currently actively trying to lose; I am focusing on recomping and have been holding steady for the past half year while eating 2000-2500 calories a day, and some weekends 3000+, so I have room for a reasonable treat or two each day and a couple of drinks on the very-heavy-activity weekends. So my sweets tend to be a prudent and controlled portion of my diet.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    None of us should fret about what we ate in the past --but going forward, remember that your body needs certain nutrients. You'll be healthier and feel better if your nutritional needs are met.

If you don't get the protein, vitamins, minerals and micronutrients you need, you are at higher risk for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, high blood pressure, and metabolic disorders. Being poorly nourished can also lead to depression.

That's why it's important to eat a variety of good quality proteins, vegetables, and complex carbs. If you use up your daily calories on junk food, you aren't giving your brain and bones and heart and blood the survival food they need.

https://www.britannica.com/science/nutritional-disease

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/expert-answers/depression-and-diet/faq-20058241

• IrisFlute
    Options
    Most of what you list is more affected by eating too much.

Cardiovascular disease can result from insufficient magnesium, potassium, calcium, vitamin D, or B vitamins. Just one example.

Also, the research related to depression relates to poor quality food, not excess food.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Dang. I thought you were looking for suggestions that fit the description in the subject line! I just had a S'mores pop tart and it was delightful. I was looking for someone to take the 2nd one off my hands.

Do you have a problem with blood sugar? How do you feel, mood- and hunger-wise? How did your protein and fat line up? Did you get some veg in? If the answers to those questions are not satisfactory to you, then I'd work on making swaps and/or coming up with a new plan to moderate.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    There is no bonus for eating more micronutrients beyond your actual needs.
    There are recognized benefits to eating more than just the minimum recommended servings of healthy foods like fruits and vegetables.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/23/five-day-10-portions-fruit-veg-cut-early-death

We don't know exactly why yet. It could be known micronutrients, or undiscovered phytonutrients, or some combination of things.

• alysha_x
    Options
    Interesting. I do eat a balance of food groups though generally, I just might have one too many binge days but I am working on it! I do feel more awake, tummy isn't bloated when I eat more balanced but then I always thought that was pretty standard?

Thank you for all your comments. Rather intresting thinking topic though.

On the getting your 5 a day subject, it shows lots of different fruit and veg but what if you had 3 lots off peas for example, does that class as 3 a day?! :D
  • IrisFlute
    Options
    but what if you had 3 lots off peas for example, does that class as 3 a day?! :D

Yes, I think so. I just finished a huge dish of spring mustards and kales, which counts as four servings.
  • strifechick
    strifechick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this because I tend to go over my sugar goal a lot and I was wondering if I was a problem.

I am always under my calories and do decent with everything else but my sugar is always so high because I will eat cereal as a snack and when I have a migraine I like to drink an energy drink because the caffeine helps (but the sugar free ones tend to make me feel worse) and those two items usually push me to my goal not even counting the fruits and everything else I eat during the day!!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I do eat a balance of food groups though generally, I just might have one too many binge days but I am working on it! I do feel more awake, tummy isn't bloated when I eat more balanced but then I always thought that was pretty standard?

Thank you for all your comments. Rather intresting thinking topic though.

On the getting your 5 a day subject, it shows lots of different fruit and veg but what if you had 3 lots off peas for example, does that class as 3 a day?! :D

It depends on which rules you are following. Peas might just count as one serving according to the new U.K. standards of 10 a day...beans and legumes just count for one serving, and juice just counts for one serving. Potatoes don't count at all, but sweet potatoes do. But if I eat a ginormous Honeycrisp apple, that counts for 4 80-gram servings. Ideally you are going to be shaking things up from day to day though. A group of us started the 800 g a day challenge at the beginning of March and it has become a habit now for a few of us.