Short term vs long term goals

Options
Setting goals is important, I know that. But do you set a short term goal and change it as you reach said goal? Or do you set one long term goal and just go for it? OR do you set both long and short term and confuse the hell out of yourself? lol

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Both, I have to be working on some goal or another.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Both...

My short term goal is to PB my next half in 5 weeks.

My long term goal is to lose the last few pounds (struggling to hold a deficit whilst running a lot) and keep up a decent mileage base.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Both...but I don't understand how that would be confusing. It's not any different than any other venture...you can have an ultimate goal of whatever, but implementation generally involves many different steps along the way to getting there.
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I always set both. I have a long term goal that I consider my "vision" of where I would ultimately like to be. Then I sent a ton of mini goals to keep me focused. It's more rewarding if I accomplish small feats repetitively. They aren't always scale goals either. I may set a goal to get to Yoga 3 times a week for a month. I may set a goal to drink 8 cups of water a day for a week. If my goals set me on a healthy path or journey, they will help me reach my longer goal. I can adjust that goal as well if I feel I need to when I get there. :) The most important thing about goals is making sure they are SMART goals. S - Specific, M - Measurable, A - Achievable, R - Realistic and T - Timely
    Good luck!
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I set both. It's easier to look at something if it's broken down into smaller segments. If you're worried you'll be confused - write them down, keep them organized that way.

It's pretty accomplishing meeting any goal, keeps you motivated/focused for the big goal at the end.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Both. A long term goal for me would be a race, while my short term goals would be completing each run within the training plan for said race. They compliment each other. I'm not sure you can complete your long term goals without short term goals.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Both - Short term goals keep you on track toward those bigger and sometimes too big to think possible goals.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Assuming you mean re: fitness since this is MFP, I usually only have a single goal. If it's weight loss, I set the goal where I want to be and work towards it until I get there. If it's fitness, I do the same, though honestly I rarely set fitness goals.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    You've gotta do both
    - I'm targeting 100 off in 2017 but know it may take up to 15 months
    - To make that possible, I'm targeting to average 1.5-2.0 lbs off a week
    - I join Challenges here to set more specific milestones
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I set fitness goals and work toward them. As far as weightloss and physique goes...I just confuse the hell out of myself.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Both...but I don't understand how that would be confusing. It's not any different than any other venture...you can have an ultimate goal of whatever, but implementation generally involves many different steps along the way to getting there.

Yep ... this ^^

For example, I cycle, and I've got a cycling goal I'm aiming for, but to get there, I have to do rides of shorter distances. The shorter ... and getting longer ... rides are the short-term goals working toward the long-term goal.
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've done it both ways. When I lost 50+ pounds that was my goal. Now that I'm trying to lose the 15 pounds I put back on over the past couple years I'm breaking it up into different goals. My long-term goal is 125ish (whatever I can realistically maintain at). My short-term goal is 135 (about 6 pounds to go) by the time I attend my college graduation in June. I also have fitness goals. Like another one commented, I have a bicycling goal to eventually be able to ride to a specific destination but before then I have smaller distance goals to condition myself. My ultimate goal is to maintain my weight at 125, give or take a pound or two. That's the most difficult one.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Both! I set a short term (30 day fitness challenge/goal), every 30 days. Sometimes I bulk, sometimes I cut, sometimes it has to do with endurance, agility, skill... It's good to change it up and keeps me going in the right direction. :smile:

My long term goals include continuing my progress and ranking in Muay Thai and entering a female body building competition.