I'm Very Confused! Do I Need To Be In Ketosis To Lose Weight?

Options
I am on information overload. Everything I read is telling me in order to lose weight, I have to be in Ketosis. Is this true? If so I am doomed. I like all the foods I read I shouldn't be eating (potatos, pasta, bread...)

So...can you lose weight without being in Ketosis?

TYIA!

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Keto just happens to be trendy right now. I lost weight and have successfully maintained for several years and I've never been in ketosis. So, NO - you don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight. You just need to be in a calorie deficit (eating fewer calories than you burn) in order to lose weight. The keto diet is just one of many ways to go about it. That diet doesn't work for me at all, because I love my carbs. If you love your carbs, too, you might not want to do keto either. B)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no reason to be in ketosis. You need a calorie deficit, eating less than you burn in a 24 hr period.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    hanley1512 wrote: »
    I am on information overload. Everything I read is telling me in order to lose weight, I have to be in Ketosis. Is this true? If so I am doomed. I like all the foods I read I shouldn't be eating (potatos, pasta, bread...)

TYIA!

No you don't need to be in ketosis ... yes you can lose weight without being in ketosis.

Simply enter your details into MFP
    Select sedentary as your activity level
    Select to lose 1 lb/week
    MFP will give you a calorie goal
    Eat those calories.
  • abagley9844
    abagley9844 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

TYIA!

TYIA!

• abagley9844
    abagley9844 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You absolutely do not have to be in ketosis to lose weight! I've lost about 30lbs on a high carb plant based diet. I eat lots of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes and startches like potatoes. Check out the startch solution. Ketosis/low carb diets are actually quite dangerous as your body runs on carbohydrates. If you cut the carbs, you will have little energy to power through those workouts, plus when you cut the carbs, you increase the animal products which means lots of saturated fat and cholesterol. Low carb diets are okay short term, but in the long run, you could end up with heart disease due to high saturated fat and cholesterol intake. Also check out Dr Michael Gregor of nutritionfacts.com. I hope this is helpful to you! :smiley:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

TYIA!

Please share these sources of information - just so I know to avoid them! :)

Would suggest thinking much longer term then just the period of losing weight. Might be worth starting from what to include in your diet rather than what to avoid?
    If you intend eating potatoes, bread, pasta long term (I sure as hell am!) then learning to moderate them now would seem sensible.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options

TYIA!

I literally eat bread daily and potatoes weekly. I lost over 50 lbs and often eat 300g of carbs a day. So no, you don't need ketosis like others are stated.

Also, it should be noted some of the healthiest people in the world are eating 70% carbs. So they would never be in ketosis.
  • maurihart
    maurihart Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I feel like (for me) low carb long term is very hard to maintain. I'd never want to live a life that didn't include bread or pizza or cake occasionally. Low carb is popular but not for everyone. Create a calorie deficit and prepare to be patient.