Really hungry in the morning

Options
I get up at 6:30 for work and normally have breakfast at 9:00am in work but for a good few months now I've noticed just how hungry I am before I set off for work (7:15am) I mean I can last until 9:00am but am just wondering if anyone else has a similar problem and if so what they do about it? I normally have tea around 8:00ish then in bed for 10:00 so isn't like I am having a super long period of no food? Any ideas would be great. :)

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    You could try either a light snack before bed, or alternatively a light snack before leaving for work. I'm generally not an 'eat first thing' person either (breakfast goes to work with me), but I definitely notice I'm hungrier in the morning when I'm eating at a deficit, particularly if I'm not getting much exercise in and therefore have a lower calorie limit.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Small snack before bed, or maybe pack some fiber/protein snacks to eat before your actual breakfast.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Eat your breakfast earlier, unless you're strapped for time.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A heavy meal before bed usually fuels my morning hunger, and I'm not typically an early eater. Have any of your usual habits changed lately? If you can't find a clear culprit, eating breakfast earlier might be a solution.
  • xxharleyquinnxx
    xxharleyquinnxx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten breakfast around 9ish for a while now so tbh no idea what it might be, I may start making some protein balls to snack on once I get up or something if my calorie limit allows!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Can you eat at home before work?
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your workouts? More intense cardio or strength training makes me more hungry. I also notice if I have a carb heavy dinner, I'm hungrier earlier in the morning.
  • andreatait4
    andreatait4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing - I get up early seven days a week and my natural rythm is that I'm hungry in the morning but not hungry after dinner. For me, its just how my body works and I roll with it. I eat about 500 calories by 9 am and it always includes protein and complex carbs. I don't get too stuck on breakfast foods, I just eat a clean combination of foods and that fuels me. I'm usually done eating for the day by 6pm
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am the same way normally, for years I was like "WHY am I always so hungry, nauseous, weak, in the morning, all I need is to eat something, I'm starving!" - eating a bedtime snack (or even a big meal) made it WORSE in the morning. I also had severe night sweats and tachycardia in deep sleep (ie, my hr went up the deeper into sleep I got, and it went down the closer to being awake I was). My sleep study said I woke up over 100x, I sweated off most of the wires and they had to wake me up to reattach them, my HR was consistently around 122 in REM sleep. This is of course all contributing to why I was so hungry in mornings.

A doctor found out I have abnormal fasting glucose (it goes up when I fast, down when I eat). It showed up as pre-diabetes, my A1c was 6.4, indicating an average glucose of something like 145, even though my normal daytime glucose is only 95! Turns out it was spiking every night to insane levels. They gave me Metformin to take before bed, but even the lowest dose was too high, and when I woke up and ate my levels would even out, but the Metformin was still working, and I would nearly pass out from low blood sugar. So I was taken off that.

It has gotten better with a higher fat/lower carb diet, less stress, and sleeping in a very cold room. So, long story short, I would get your A1c checked, and test your blood glucose at night and again in the morning for a few days.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A heavy meal before bed usually fuels my morning hunger, and I'm not typically an early eater. Have any of your usual habits changed lately? If you can't find a clear culprit, eating breakfast earlier might be a solution.

Just to explain, I meant it fuels my hunger as in makes it worse. I don't typically eat late or early, but when I eat late I find myself needing to eat early although I usually don't.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite, I get up at 4:30 to run. When I get home I have a large bowl of oatmeal with fruit and walnuts. When I get to work I need more food by 9:00 am. My go to is a couple of handfuls of almonds.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you are a coffee drinker add a tsp of coconut oil and half a scoop of protein powder to your morning cup. I workout in the morning but can't really do a meal right after so I have some kombucha and then about 30 minutes later I make a cup of coffee with coconut oil, coconut milk, and protein powder and that keeps me going for a while.
  • xxharleyquinnxx
    xxharleyquinnxx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I am going start having 2 little protein balls in the morning and a litre of water then try and have breakfast about 9:30am and not eat anything after 8:00pm. I'll trial this as of next week and hopefully post in a month's time with an update! :) Xx