For Those Who Still Think It's About Sugar...

Options
J72FIT
J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
"Initial concern was raised that there might be a unique relationship between obesity and the consumption of HFCS because of the temporal association between increased use of HFCS in the American food supply to the increased prevalence of obesity between 1970 and 2000 [4]. Despite the popularity of this suggestion, there are numerous reasons this hypothesis should be discarded. Firstly, the temporal association between HFCS and obesity ended in 1999, when HFCS use began to diminish [30]. Secondly, numerous countries around the world have a similarly increasing prevalence of overweight and obesity as the United States, but do not use HFCS. Lastly, subsequent research studies have shown there is no difference between HFCS or sucrose in any metabolic parameter measured in human beings including glucose, insulin, leptin, ghrelin, triglycerides, uric acid, appetite or calories consumed at the next meal [31, 32, 37]. Both the American Medical Association [38] and the American Dietetic Association [39] have issued statements declaring that there is nothing unique about HFCS that leads to obesity. Both of these statements note that all caloric sweeteners contain calories and should be used in moderation. The present data further support the theory that, when consumed at levels up to the 50th percentile for fructose in the context of a hypocaloric diet, neither HFCS nor sucrose impedes weight loss. These data provide further support to the concept that overall caloric consumption rather than one particular component of the diet is most important for achieving weight loss."

https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2891-11-55

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there will be those who will discount this study do to the fact that the funding came from the corn refiners association.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yeah.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm in a support group for weight loss on another site, and someone recommended a movie called "That sugar film". Complete fear mongering about sugar, and contradicts itself throughout. This is the exact kind of study I'd like to put up because so many really believe eating sugar, even if you don't change your calories will make you fat. They just have no concept.

Unfortunately, they would probably just dismiss this as industry funded research (as you noted above). People really want weight loss to be more complicated than it is.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    Funding
    This work was supported by a grant from the Corn Refiners Association.

:D:D:D

They have to receive money from some where. And many times, the scientist do not even meet or have any interaction with those who fund the studies. Heck, look at almost any low carb study and you will see Atkins through around quite often. In the end, the funding sources doesn't disprove what was tested or evaluated.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hiker_Rob wrote: »
    There is a study to prove and support everyone's point of view, most only base their study on proving one specific point about one specific thing rather than the big picture. Tobacco companies still say tobacco does not cause cancer and have their studies to prove it lol. What ever you want to believe there will be a study for to support you.

The point of a post stating "For Those Who Still Think It's About Sugar..." is just to incite people to argue, which is what will happen. I do not believe the op (or many other people) would set out to maintain a solid diet of high sugar foods and believe it's healthy as long as he keeps it under his caloric allotment.

Well said. However I fear you will be attacked for suggesting one cannot live on sugar alone as long as their CO is greater than their CI. You will get the "I eat ice cream and drink soda everyday and look at me" crowd beating you into submission. But I agree with you 100%. If nothing else this will be an entertaining post to watch today.