4 weeks postpartum and ready to get back to it!

Options
goonybaby07
goonybaby07 Posts: 16 Member
March 13 I gave birth to my beautiful baby boy via c section. Now ready to get back to my starting weight of 115. 20lbs lose. Wish me luck!

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your little one!
    Has your doctor cleared you to start exercising again? Most doctors recommend waiting closer to six weeks (or longer after a c section) to start exercising after giving birth. Carrying and having a baby takes a HUGE toll on the body, and starting to exercise too early could greatly affect your ability to fully heal from this experience, especially after having major surgery with a c-section.
    Are you breastfeeding? If so, LLL recommends waiting at least six weeks to begin exercising after giving birth to make sure that your milk production is firmly established. Exercising tends to cause a drop in breastmilk production, and if things are rocky then it might be a drop in production that you will have trouble recovering from.
    All that said, I know the feeling of wanting to get rid of the body weight after having children. Take a walk every day with your little one in a carrier or a stroller. Take it slow and relax for another week or two. You have PLENTY of time to get back to it, and waiting a week or two or three may speed up your long term recovery significantly.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new baby! It takes about 6 weeks to lose all of the pregnancy weight, so you really have another couple of weeks before you know how much weight you have to worry about. Are you breastfeeding? If so, remember that breastfeeding uses about 500 calories a day, so expect to eat enough to cover that, and don't try to lose too quickly or your milk supply might suffer.

Good luck! :smile:
  • goonybaby07
    Options
    Hi maddymama! Yes my doctor cleared me yesterday! He even cleared me to lift weights (not that I would right now). Thank you by the way! I had been trying to get pregnant for two years and it finally happened so everything else took the back burner as soon as I found out. As for breast feeding I am not. So no issue there. I just planned to listen to my body. If it's had enough it's had enough
  • goonybaby07
    Options
    Nope not breastfeeding however it would be pretty cool to lose more weight and not have as much to lose
  • LizComeBack086
    LizComeBack086 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Awwww congrats my baby girl was born 3/13/15 <3
  • LizComeBack086
    LizComeBack086 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Me and my little took a lot of walks,eatwithin your calorie goal and enjoy...you got this mama :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm glad your doctor cleared you to exercise. Just start slow and you should be fine.
  • jessnussfitness
    jessnussfitness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Our kiddos are close in age! I just had my son 03/09/2017 :smiley:
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine trying anything at 4 weeks PP with a c-section.
  • chantelp0508
    chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Had my squish on 4/4. Starting out slow. Working on just diet right now.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Check out this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat-2-fit-wlc-and-support-group

We are currently doing registrations for our May challenge and when you sign up you'll get placed on a team. The teams are very motivational and you have to come back and weigh-in each week. We do a weekly group challenge and the individual teams have captains that often do daily and weekly challenges as well. It's a lot of fun! Check it out if you are looking for a bunch of people to help hold you accountable and motivate you to keep going!!