Frustrated by comments

Options
2»

Replies

• Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Remember that most people don't do what you are doing - take control of their weight, their diet, their health. They see it as at the very least terribly difficult if not impossible. To most people losing 20 lbs. might as well be taking a trip to the moon. However, you know what you are doing...you have this under control. You know that 20 lbs. is not an unreasonable goal for you. The people that say you can't or shouldn't do it just are living in the same place as you are now. So...they don't know what they are talking about.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Your goals aren't unreasonable. I have and continue to hear negative comments all of the time... and frankly, I don't give a rats *kitten*. I'm the one that gets to rock these size 2s and 4s, I'm the one that could probably bench press their *kitten*, and I'm the one that will outlive them being healthier and happier. I'm happy with myself and when I started that was my #1 goal.
  • Ashrenalls
    Ashrenalls Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    They may not think they are being negative. They may think they are helping you "be ok with how you are." I don't think your goal is unreasonable. That's about where I want to be, actually. Some of them might be jealous that you have that as an option and the only way for them to cope it to tell you it isn't necessary. And also, until someone has read your food diary every day for a month, they have no room to say you are being unhealthy. Only you know whether you are being unhealthy or not. I would say most people probably think they are being helpful by saying your weight is fine where it is. Now, it would be completely different if you had told the whole world you couldn't weight to get down to 80lbs....

You can get to your goal weight, and you will be healthy doing it!

Have a wonderful day!
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I get that a lot too. I am 5' 7" and my first goal is 144 (3 lbs away!!) and after I reach it I want to try for the 130's. I am building muscle too so I know I won't look gaunt. I was 135 in college. Also it is right in the middle of my healthy bmi range. My biggest issue is my tummy. I have the wonderful genetics of having to lose all the fat on my body before the tummy flab will go :angry: so that is why I want to lose a little more....hopefully I can knock off some of that belly fat and get to a healthy waist measurement. I can't stand it when people tell me I don't need to lose any more!! Its like "really?!" I've done my research, I know what is healthy for my body! I know what I look like naked for goodness sakes! I want to be healthy, not just skinny, so if I need to lose a little more its not for vanity its for a healthy waist measurement. I don't think I should have to explain this to everyone so now when they ask how much I intend to lose or what I even weigh I keep those numbers to myself. Its just easier that way :bigsmile:
  • NeverStopRunning
    Options
    Thanks! Looks like I am nmot alone in this eh? To clarify, it isn't people here, it's people telling me this face to face. They say it with such concern as well...like they think I am going overboard....so frustrating!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    We all have different body types and heights, sizes etc, and I think ppl forget to let their brain think before they comment on things. You have to do what is healthy for you and sounds like you are on the right track. Don't let them get to you and do what is good for you. Congrats on your loss so far :flowerforyou:
  • lauram1153
    lauram1153 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I can't really say what weight is right for you i think only you can tell hopefully you'lll realise when enough is enough.As for these comments i think people are either unknowledgable (if thats a word?) or jealous if its your tummy area maybe more toning would be the answer anyway from me keep up the great work and don't listen to negative comment or opinions x
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    We all have a different "optimal weight" because even if we are exactly the same height, metabolism, bone structure and other factors make us different. You will know where you feel and look the healthiest when you arrive there!! Good luck on your journey and don't let nay sayers bring you down. We can all do this for ourselves!!!!!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is unrealistic. In order to avoid comments, though, when people ask how much you still plan to lose, just say you aren't sure and you'll know it when you see it.

Excellent advice. :smile:

Instead of interpreting it as jealousy or criticism, just think "these are people who care about me. They want me to be healthy and strong." That's not a bad thing. It's also not a bad thing that they obviously think you look good as you are. Maybe that's because you do look good (which you do), or just because they're used to seeing you that way, or because they don't judge you as harshly as you judge yourself.

I'm 5'5 and currently about 130. I was a skinny as a kid and through my early 20s, never getting above 115 or so. Even as I gained weight, my family still saw me as The Skinny One. If I said anything about losing weight, even at 160, they'd say, "You look great! What are you talking about?!" So I just approached it from a fitness point of view. I wanted to be healthier and stronger, and it didn't matter to me too much what the scale said.

Similarly, a few years ago, my niece lost weight before her wedding, going from a size 12 to a size 4. I saw her regularly, and didn't notice she'd lost weight, and especially that much, until I saw her in a little strapless minidress at her bridal shower. Even then, I thought, "Wow, she looks awesome!" but I wouldn't have guessed she shrank that much until I found out she needed a whole new wedding dress because her size change so drastically. She's someone I love, and as such, I looked at her with rose colored glasses. If she told me she wanted to lose weight, I'd have automatically said, "But you're GORGEOUS! Just the way you are!" It wasn't jealousy or criticism. It was seeing her as a total package, not judging her size.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the naysayers. Your goal is fine! You know your body. I get the same comments from people. I'm 5 ft. 7.5 inches. My goal is 120. That is the lowest that I will go, but I feel best between 120-125. I have a very small frame. I work out on a regular basis, and I watch what I eat. I am healthy...

People who call someone too skinny are as insensitive as thosee who call someone too fat. :mad: :grumble:

If you are healthy at your goal weight, go for it!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I get the same thing when I say I want to get down to 120 again at 5'1". I think the standards of being "healthy" are very skewed in society today. If you don't have rolls then there you must be fit (at least that's what I feel like when people react). I really am trying to improve my overall health (endurance, toning, and weight etc.) Just because I don't look overweight doesn't mean I'm healthy. It's very frustrating to deal with.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Im 5 4 I weigh 122. I have 2 lbs to go to get to my goal. My goal was to get to 125, well I did and I thought I still needed to lose so I changed it to 120. We will see how that looks on me. According to my doctor I can go as low as 107. SO STOP LISTENING TO CRAP AND DO WHAT YOU Think! sorry I've have had the same problem mostly at work. Add me as a friend if you like, I will tell you the honest truth.
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    YOU know what feels good because you've been there. If that is YOUR goal, go for it! People will always have their own opinions, but most should keep them to themselves.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I think the standards of being "healthy" are very skewed in society today. If you don't have rolls then there you must be fit (at least that's what I feel like when people react).

I agree with this quote 100%!! I'm 50 now. When I went to high school in the late 70's, I was considered normal sized among my friends. Now everyone thinks I'm skinny! My weight/size has not changed, but most everyone else's has.

I will not let myself go! Keep up your efforts!
  • LondonLad
    LondonLad Posts: 31
    Options
    Let them have their opinions only yours really matter, I get the same even though I know I have 20 pounds + to go.

Only you can be the judge of what is right for you.
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    I totally understand. When I first told my friends I was eating healthier and I had lost 20 pounds they weren't very supportive and said stuff like "but you were starting to get "thick"!"

Maybe its just me but I would rather be in a healthy weight range than be overyweight with a big butt :ohwell:
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Just ignore them! I'm 5'7 and weight 132. I am trying to get to 125 - as most of my 20's and 30's I was in that range. Everyone knows what works best for them, and them alone. I wish you much success on reaching your goal!
  • blcotton
    blcotton Posts: 43
    Options
    You are definitely not the only one with this problem. I am 5'6" and my goal is 140, people usually look at me too and think I have gone insane and say I don't need to lose anymore. I currently weight about 180 and people tell me that I don't look 180. However, when I look in the mirror I know what I see and I know what I am uncomfortable with, and like you my biggest area of concern is my tummy...I have more fat on my tummy than anywhere else, I'm hourglass shape. So, I say that you just need to do what makes you happy...if 130 makes you happy then go for it...you are not living your life to please others you need to please yourself first and live this life to make you happy and comfortable. I say go for it and just ignore the negative comments:) keep pushing through everything and you'll get to your goal!