Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Motivation and Support
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Trying to lose 30lbs in 11 weeks! Dear God somebody offer advice!!

2

Replies

  • tf24601tf24601 Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member
    I usually go down a size for every 10 pounds that I lose. So maybe just getting to 20 pounds would do it for you. Also I think it is doable if you have the mental mindset that you can do it. I have been eating 1100-1200 calories a day for the last month and assure you I can function just fine. I work out. I run my house just as I normally do. I also would recommend ketogenic eating since it also reduces the amount you are hungry which would help since you are limiting calories, it also has the nifty side effect of mental clarity. If you are doing this, make sure you sleep! Getting rest is so essential in helping you not feel hungry. I sleep 9 hours a night and try and get a nap every afternoon. Good luck!!!!!
  • JthanmyfitnesspalJthanmyfitnesspal Member, Premium Posts: 2,759 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,759 Member
    I went to a wedding where the bride passed out at the altar from under eating leading up to her wedding. Better to be vertical than thin.

    In 11 weeks you can certainly lose 11-22 pounds and tone up a lot. You will look great in a dress that fits.
  • Theo166Theo166 Member, Premium Posts: 2,514 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,514 Member
    I'd suggest getting a dress that fits and not make both your lives miserable leading up to your union, so many other things to worry about besides weight.

    Beyond that, you could look at the 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet. The calorie restrictions are severe but they get good results on rapid weight loss.
  • ShrinkMe81ShrinkMe81 Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    As Theo says, check out the 8 week blood sugar diet. Supported by scientific evidence, it's safe and quick and will give you good results. It is severely restricted but the emphasis is on wholesome, nutritious foods and it will surprise you how manageable it is. I lost over 30lbs within the 8 weeks and haven't gained any back, in fact I'm still losing while on maintenance. Yes, some of it is water, but I'm guessing you aren't bothered what form the 30lb loss takes so long as you get in the dress!
    edited April 2017
  • chrislee1628chrislee1628 Member Posts: 304 Member Member Posts: 304 Member
    that is only 1lb a week over the 2lbs a week setting by MFP

    I am presuming it is the waist area? you could get one of those back support wraps? my dad has one, it stretches and he wraps it around his waist, if you wrap it tight, it will push in the belly

    if you get one of those and lose what MFP tells you 2lbs per week, it should be fine

    no point doing one of those quick loss regimes only to collapse etc due to low sugar or whatever at your wedding
  • JthanmyfitnesspalJthanmyfitnesspal Member, Premium Posts: 2,759 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,759 Member
    wytey wrote: »
    that is only 1lb a week over the 2lbs a week setting by MFP

    Losing a pound means doing without ~3500kcals, so a pound a week is a defecit of 500kcals per day. A common maintenance intake is 2000kcals/day. So, to lose 3 lbs a week, you'd have to stay at juat 500kcals a day, which is dangerously low for extended periods. Health is beautiful!

    And can everyone cool it with the crazy diet suggestions? The point of MFP is to get away from all that.
  • kimny72kimny72 Member Posts: 15,842 Member Member Posts: 15,842 Member
    wytey wrote: »
    that is only 1lb a week over the 2lbs a week setting by MFP

    Losing a pound means doing without ~3500kcals, so a pound a week is a defecit of 500kcals per day. A common maintenance intake is 2000kcals/day. So, to lose 3 lbs a week, you'd have to stay at juat 500kcals a day, which is dangerously low for extended periods. Health is beautiful!

    And can everyone cool it with the crazy diet suggestions? The point of MFP is to get away from all that.

    IKR? This thread is an example of the damage the diet industry has done. People think it is no big deal for the average person to lose 3 or 4 lbs per week, or to crash diet for a couple of months. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's a good choice for any particular situation.
  • TeaBeaTeaBea Member Posts: 14,454 Member Member Posts: 14,454 Member
    wytey wrote: »
    that is only 1lb a week over the 2lbs a week setting by MFP

    I am presuming it is the waist area? you could get one of those back support wraps? my dad has one, it stretches and he wraps it around his waist, if you wrap it tight, it will push in the belly

    if you get one of those and lose what MFP tells you 2lbs per week, it should be fine

    no point doing one of those quick loss regimes only to collapse etc due to low sugar or whatever at your wedding

    Not everyone can lose 2 pounds a week. Sure you can put the goal in, but that doesn't mean 2 pounds a week is going to happen.

    Example: Let's say my maintenance was 2,000 calories (it's actually lower). A 2 pound a week goal would bring me to 1,000 calories. BUT My Fitness Pal has a default minimum of 1,200 calories. This default minimum is because of NUTRITION (minor details).

    Losing weight quickly on a huge deficit will result in a higher percentage of lean muscle loss. Again (minor details)......lowering your body fat % is healthy weight loss.
  • Theo166Theo166 Member, Premium Posts: 2,514 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,514 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    wytey wrote: »
    that is only 1lb a week over the 2lbs a week setting by MFP

    Losing a pound means doing without ~3500kcals, so a pound a week is a defecit of 500kcals per day. A common maintenance intake is 2000kcals/day. So, to lose 3 lbs a week, you'd have to stay at juat 500kcals a day, which is dangerously low for extended periods. Health is beautiful!

    And can everyone cool it with the crazy diet suggestions? The point of MFP is to get away from all that.

    IKR? This thread is an example of the damage the diet industry has done. People think it is no big deal for the average person to lose 3 or 4 lbs per week, or to crash diet for a couple of months. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's a good choice for any particular situation.

    I think The Biggest Loser has done the most harm around corrupting proper expectations for safe weight loss. When someone only loses a couple pounds in a week, they are the team failure and likely sent home. Losing double digits each week is applauded.

    FYI, obese people tend to have a much higher TDEE than 2k. 1% loss per week is a better upper limit for the obese.
    edited April 2017
  • 3rdof7sisters3rdof7sisters Member Posts: 486 Member Member Posts: 486 Member
    OP, as so many have said just try your best, without putting your health at risk. Try to remember, all brides are beautiful! You will be too! Enjoy this very special time in your life, congrats to you both!
  • cqbkajucqbkaju Member Posts: 1,011 Member Member Posts: 1,011 Member
    As several people have said, you should estimate about 10 lbs per inch on your waist from "ideal".
    So 6" loss on your waist to fit your dress is about 60 lbs of excess fat.
    Sounds like you are guessing you need to "lose 30 lbs" because you are not being honest with yourself about how far away you are from your goal.
    You are just setting yourself up for disappointment and failure.

    You should have thought ahead and began this 6 months or a year ago.
    Thinking about short term gratification and "results" is one reason why you are in this predicament.
    Being healthy and fit is a lifetime commitment, not a "11 week" one.
    Maybe you will use this as a wake up call to make some long-term lifestyle changes.

    You losing "30 lbs in 11" weeks is ambitious in itself because you do not yet understand the diet and exercise requirements needed to make this happen.
    Losing about 2 lbs a week -less than 10 lbs per month- is about the best sustainable average you can expect in the long-term.
    You could theoretically lose more at first but that will taper off eventually.

    Developing the discipline to stick to it without making excuses and rationalizing your behavior will be hard at first also.
    Weight loss is not linear so you cannot guarantee losing (or gaining for that matter) any amount of "weight" per week, regardless.

    What amounts to about 60 lbs in 11 weeks just isn't going to happen, sorry.
    Invoking "God" will not help you either.

    But NEXT year, you could easily have lost 60 lbs of excess fat if you put in the work.
    edited April 2017
  • WolfgerWolfger Member Posts: 350 Member Member Posts: 350 Member
    feleciag09 wrote: »
    Hi guys! I'm trying to lose 30lbs in 11 weeks
    Depending on how heavy you are, that can be done. I'm on Day 57, with 32 pounds lost. You'll see a lot of naysayers in the comments, but it can be done. Being *extremely* overweight helps. LOL.
    feleciag09 wrote: »
    it's 6 inches too small for me.
    Uh.... Good luck? I don't think you'll find that 30 pounds equals 6 inches. I could be wrong, because I haven't been measuring myself except with the scale, but my advice is "buy a dress that fits".
  • LivingtheLeanDreamLivingtheLeanDream Member Posts: 13,347 Member Member Posts: 13,347 Member
    As the others have already said, its an unrealistic goal :/ but do what you can, you could lose maybe half what you wanted and the dress might fit if you use Spanx. Could it be let out if not?? a dressmaker might have a solution if not and be able to insert a panel at the back or something.

    All the best.
  • Hthrbee1978Hthrbee1978 Member Posts: 26 Member Member Posts: 26 Member
    Keto diet will allow you to drop weight relatively quickly, but that might be too extreme. Just do the best you can and have the dress let out.
  • 2013allen2013allen Member, Premium Posts: 22 Member Member, Premium Posts: 22 Member
    the six week Eat to Live challenge would work well for you. Plenty of nutrition but it takes a ton of discipline
  • cqbkajucqbkaju Member Posts: 1,011 Member Member Posts: 1,011 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I think The Biggest Loser has done the most harm around corrupting proper expectations for safe weight loss. When someone only loses a couple pounds in a week, they are the team failure and likely sent home. Losing double digits each week is applauded.
    To your point, look at almost all of the "contestants" about a year later.
    Almost everyone has put the weight back on. Look it up.

    The process is simple when you have a trainer monitoring your diet and driving you to exercise every day.
    Not much real effort -understanding, discipline or thinking- is necessary for the contestants, in the short-term.
    Quick results so you are not embarrassed on a TV show instead of real lifestyle changes.
    Short-term motivation instead of long-term discipline.

    As soon as the show is over, many of them balloon back up.
    I have no respect or sympathy for those people.
    edited April 2017
  • Sunna_WSunna_W Member, Premium Posts: 740 Member Member, Premium Posts: 740 Member
    Keto / Paleo (low, low carb/sugar - 45% protein, 40% fat and 15% carbs / sugar) is the way to go definitely. Check out Paleo Leap and Paleo Tribe for ideas.

    Generally I have a homemade protein shake with konjak fiber for breakfast, a blended veggie jar with more konjak powder and a side of full fat Greek yogurt for lunch and then a high protein low carb veggie for dinner. (That's between 1200 to 1400 calories overall every day).

    After the initial shock there are really no hungry pangs or tummy rumblies. Don't be afraid of fat - use olive oil and natural meat fat and dairy as well as coconut products as part of your overall calories. (You can make amazing things with coconut flour - like fat head pizza.) It keeps you satiated while you are on this diet.

    DO NOT drink diet anything!!! If you are currently drinking diet sodas taper off slowly and drink flavored water like "Hint". You will mess this up otherwise because Phenylalanine an essential amino acid, which your body needs to build proteins, is in foods such as poultry, pork, fish, milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese, soy products, bananas, certain nuts and seeds. Aspartame, an artificial sweetener used in many diet sodas, is high in phenylalanine, also... It can cause you to feel worse.

    Phenylalanine can trigger allergic reactions, with symptoms such as:

    Itching
    Swelling of the face or hands
    Trouble breathing
    Tingling feeling in the mouth
    Side effects may include:

    Heartburn
    Fatigue
    Nausea
    Constipation
    Dizziness
    Headache
    Anxiety and hypomania (a milder form of mania)
    Sedation
    Jitteriness and trouble sleeping

    I was able to lose 23 lbs in on 1400 calories ( and admittedly I was compliant only about 75 - 80% of the time) in four months because I purposely went slowly. (I didn't want to pucker and wrinkle). Maybe if you went down to 1200 calories you could get reasonably close to your goal.

    Also, not mentioned, check around to see if a salon near you offers Far Infra-Red (FIR) light therapy. Usually it's a stand up tanning bed with FIR bulbs. It really helps with water weight and is great for your skin (unlike UV tanning beds). That will ensure that you aren't bloated (not that you would be on Paleo) and they say it melts fat. I have noticed that for my age I don't have a lot of cellulite and I attributed it to this. Any sauna would be a good idea.

    Just keep in mind that you must keep your electrolytes balanced on Paleo / Keto because if you don't you will feel ghastly. (It's called the Keto Flu.)

    Good luck and friend me if you want some recipes / support. <3
Sign In or Register to comment.