Do You Eat Differently When Sick

Options
This might sound like a very foolish question, but I'm genuinely curious. I've been sick since Saturday. What I thought was a bug or even possibly the flu has lingered and only gotten worse. I have zero energy, fever, nausea, etc. I finally went to the doctor, and now I'm waiting on the results of blood work and have other tests scheduled. In the meantime, I'm wondering if I should tweak how I eat in any manner. My goal has been 1240, but I've been under that for the past several days simply because I was too sick to eat. I'm not getting much in the way of exercise either because it's a chore right now to go the bathroom. I feel a bit better today, and I'm going to try and eat better. Should I be as concerned about staying around 1240 or feed my body a bit more? I honestly don't know what is wrong yet. They only thing the doctor told me was that I was dehydrated (trying to drink more) and that she suspected anemia, although that wouldn't explain the fever. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have no medical training, so take my advice with a grain of salt:

I would think that when you're sick, you need to at least hit your goal of 1240. The 1240 number already means you're in a deficit, so you're already challenging your body a bit. You shouldn't stress your body any further than that when you're already sick. Some people might eat at maintenance when sick, but I think that's personal preference.

If you're anemic, that does suggest you might be undereating (or at least undernourished) so it definitely suggests that eating more might be beneficial to you.

And generally, I wouldn't go so far as to say your calorie deficit is causing your symptoms, but since weight loss is inherently at least a little stressful for the body, I'd make sure you're not making it any harder on yourself. Don't go below 1240. If you're struggling to eat 1240, there are some great threads in the nutrition section about calorie dense foods.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat anything that you can manage, drink plenty, worry about your diet when you're feeling better.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Normally, I have no issue hitting my calorie goal. I like meat, and my diet has been mostly making sure to get a lot of fruits and veggies along with my meat and avoiding snacking every time I get in the car. Up until Saturday, I was fine. I had been walking and everything, but trying to walk down my driveway and Saturday left me so weak I thought I would pass out, and I was horribly sick.

Anemia is not new to me. I've had to take shots before. I have a chronic kidney disease, and I'm on immune suppressants where I had a kidney transplant. I wouldn't doubt being anemic, but I was eating well before I got sick.

I was just planning on eating something today. Log it and, when I feel better, trying to get back on track.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Today ive had 2 ginger bicuits that came back up and half a cup of water.
    And im a breastfeeding mum

Im just trying my best till i get better (sick since friday, todays the worst)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I had a god-awful cold for almost 7 days and didn't bother logging for at least 3-4 days of it. My stomach was very delicate so I just ate whatever I could stomach - which was mainly Mac n' Cheese. I made sure to take my multi-vitamins every day and stay hydrated.

Now I'm feeling much better and I'm back to tracking. I did gain a bit of weight but hoping it will go down quickly!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. :)
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Ugh when I'm sick, it's mashed potatoes and bread. Sometimes juice. I can sometimes go way under and sometimes way over. If I'm sick enough, it's literally the only time that I don't even bother tracking.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat a lot and sometimes not at all. If I'm really sick idgaf about a high or low day or few.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    For actual illness, I let my body guide me more than I would usually. I stick to clear soups/brother, lots of liquids, toast, crackers, rice, any anything else easy on the stomach.

If I'm just a little sick, like a cold or allergies or something, I eat the same as I do everyday, unless I have no appetite and then I don't force it.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    *hugs* I hope you feel better soon.

This is probably some of the best advice you can get.
    Eat anything that you can manage, drink plenty, worry about your diet when you're feeling better.

Rice and broth are often foods that are pretty stomach friendly, it might help to keep up your strength.

I hope the blood test just show a harmless flu that'll be over pretty soon (even if you'll feel horrible while it's there).
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with the "feed a cold" mindset. But if it's the flu with nausea and vomiting, best to listen to your body and only do what you are comfortable with and getting some fluids in.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of sick. If I have the flu, I can't eat a speck of anything for at least a week sometimes more! If it's a bad cold, I am usually hungry for comfort food... but I don't eat that because if I am congested everything just tastes like cardboard! I end up eating mainly scrambled egg whites and dry toast... A TON of fluids though!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, the last thing I'm worried about is my eating or exercise...I usually have little appetite when sick, and exercising while sick can just make things worse...your body needs to rest to get better...kinda like when our kids are sick, we make them rest....common sense.
  • loisburch59
    loisburch59 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have been hospitalized with pancreatitis last year, when that awful abdominal pain starts I get to the point that eating causes more pain so feeding me is difficult. Remember to take your vitamins. I send the roommate for bananas, need the extra potassium. Keep fluid, water, close. Don't worry the Dr. advice and labs will figure it out. Watch your blood sugars, mine go way high, like over 200. Clear soups and jello if it gets bad. Listen to your body.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, I eat what I feel like eating...if I go over/under my goal, so be it. I don't worry about exercise when I'm sick, either. I had two weeks of the flu last year...that was a little over two weeks with no lifting, no running, no weight gain, and very little strength loss. The strength loss was easily made up when I went back to lifting and eating properly.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I rarely get sick so when I do I turn into a big ol' baby. Thoughts of exercise or diet are not things I give any thought.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Update:
    The doctor called back, and it's my levels. I'm anemic, my thyroid is abnormal, my sugar is elevated (they blame that one on the steroids), etc. My medicines have to be tweaked.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    lucypstacy wrote: »
    Update:
    The doctor called back, and it's my levels. I'm anemic, my thyroid is abnormal, my sugar is elevated (they blame that one on the steroids), etc. My medicines have to be tweaked.

I'm glad they found the reason so quickly.

Take care of yourself and get better soon :smile:
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick I crave fruit like crazy.... So that's what I eat. It used to be chinese food I'd crave back my fatter days.