fat in food

Options
Hello,

I like bread and butter and also butter or a butter substitute on my veggies. I am brand new to the logging food plan but it is helping me make better food choices and helping me so no to the cupcakes.

What can I substitute on veggies instead of butter to make them still taste good?

Looking for any suggestions.

Replies

• pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Salt? I have to eat very low fat due a medical condition, used to love butter on new boiled potatoes, green beans, courgettes etc but have gone without now for almost three months and I'm used to it now. In baked potatoes I use salsa or low fat creme fraiche.
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that dietary fat is an essential nutrient...as such, it isn't inherently unhealthy. It is calorie dense, but you don't want to eliminate dietary fat.
    If I didn't have to eat very low fat I would still have a small bit on my veggies as you have said, it's delicious and in small quantities not an issue
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There are some "buttery spreads" I use that I like, and I think they take the place of butter very well. Smart Balance is one, Earthly (or Earth's?) Choice I think is the name of another. Also, I'm in the US.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Seasoning on veggies beyond salt...try something like red pepper, ranch seasoning, or garlic.
    There are some frozen veggies that come pre-seasoned which are very convenient and delicious.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I use a light spaghetti sauce on some of my vegetables.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Just use whatever you like that fits into your goals. I personally only like real butter or olive oil, so I just try not to use too much and make it fit into my numbers.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My answer to that would be butter. I cook with lots of butter and make it fit into my calories. I prefer portion control to limiting foods.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    You can make butter fit if it's something you really enjoy and it's the only way you like certain veggies. For me, veggies are either in a sauce such as a marinara or Alfredo (a light version) or stir fry sauce; or they're very well spiced.

You can try a whipped butter that's lighter but if you're looking for lifelong changes, eliminating something that gets you to eat healthy veggies probably isn't a good first step. You don't want to start out feeling deprived. But just make it fit, don't eat a ton of other dietary fats and one tablespoon should fit fine.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Butter is good for you in moderation. :) And fat keeps you full longer!
  • mgibbons22
    mgibbons22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. I put a few squirts on all my vegetables.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I like I Can't Believe it's Not Butter - Light. I don't like to put real butter on my vegetables because I tend to use a lot so the 1/2 the calories version works for me on vegetables but I like real butter on my bread for example.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mgibbons22 wrote: »
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. I put a few squirts on all my vegetables.

This is decent on popcorn too - none of the weird aerosol aftertaste of Pam.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Cheese. Sprinkling some grated parmesan cheese on them before roasting should add a lot of flavor for less calories than butter.

Balsamic glaze. (reduced balsamic vinegar. My local supermarket makes a pre-reduced version in a squeeze bottle). Flavor comes from vinegar and sugar, so less calories than butter.

Garlic, onion, other spices.
  • megsi886
    megsi886 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I strongly encourage you to try to get to like the taste of veggies without butter. They have their own flavors, you just have to get used to it. Try everything plain before adding stuff, and experiment with different cooking methods. Save your butter for where it really makes a difference. You may have to cook them differently or try different vegetables to find ones you like better plain. I still use butter with fresh peas, it's just such a killer combo. But that's a rare treat.

On your bread, cheese may go farther than butter, or tomatoes, pepper, and basil if you're looking for more moisture. Tuna salad made without mayo.

Cooking, a little broth is good, and spices are your friends. Use a TB or two of olive oil to make a whole pot of food instead of putting a TB of butter on one serving Garlic, pepper, basil, lemon juice. Onions. I use celery in half of everything I make because it has such a lovely flavor and crunch cooked. I often make a light soup full of fresh veg. Salads with a little nuts, pine nuts, or avocado or even bacon for fat and a little cheese and no dressing. I'll use sauces with a little milk or yogurt in them, they thicken up and have a little fat but less than if you buttered stuff.