Any women supplementing meals with protein shakes??

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a protein shake in my life. I would try one just to satisfy my curiousity, not to hit protein goal, I do that effortlessly with food.
  • misciej
    misciej Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am a RN in home health. Which can be read as, 'One who eats 2 meals a day in her car.' I generally have 10 minutes travel time. Prior to exercising and counting calories I was eating out daily and usually only one meal. Pizza, donuts, burritos and pretty much always Dunkin coffee with EXTRA sweetener and creamer added.

I told my son I was tired of being tired ALL the time. He took me to the store and stocked me up on protein shakes, protein bars and almond snacks. I wasn't consuming breakfast before so it doesn't matter if I am 'drinking' my breakfast now. But I use premier protein, pure protein, powerful yogurt and elite power. All have at least 20g of protein! For lunch I eat a protein bar and if I need a snack in the car I have 100 calorie almonds individually packaged.

I am a vegetarian and this is a PERFECT way for me to get my protein. I am not longer exhausted and dragging.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use the Garden of Life protein powders to make breakfast shakes sometimes, because that is the hardest meal of the day for me.
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I usually reach my protein throughout the day as Im trying to keep carbs low but Ill have a buttermilk as lunch usually since I prefer my main meal in the evening and just snacking stuff during the day.

Really wanna try protein shakes tho tbh!
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I do breakfast shakes of between 300-350 calories. I use Isopure unflavored protein powder (1 scoop), 2 parts fruit and 1 part greens (I do 2 cups and 1 cup), and 1 cup of sweetend almond coconut milk blend (50 cals). It makes about 24 oz of shake, really filling, easy to prep, and around 30g of protein.
  • jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do 90 calories' worth of GNC protein powder in my morning coffee.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    No. I need real food to feel full. I use protein powder as an addition to my food (mixed into yogurt/oatmeal or made into pancakes, etc), or as a supplement drink if I'm low on protein for the day.

This.

Also, protien cheesecake is far more pleasant than a smoothie. :drinker:
  • FITitch40
    FITitch40 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    I have been loving the IdealShakes meal replacement powder. They are the tastiest shakes I've tried! I'll drink a shake on the weekends when I'm busy or at the end of the day as a dessert if I have calories left.

I just started IdealShake for breakfast and it's very tasty. I've had it plain vanilla with almond milk, and also with frozen blueberries also yummy. Perfect for quick easy breakfast you don't have to plan, I get tired of meal preping everything! Has been doing a decent job on controlling hunger. I don't always have a protein only shake as I tend to meet my protein goals through food.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie for lunch every day, with spinach and an apple thrown in. I'm 5'2" & 48 & my maintenance calories aren't very high. Helps me hit my protein macro without going over calories. It's pretty filling, too.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I started doing Quest protein shakes because I was having trouble hitting my daily protein goal. Truly the best protein powder I've ever tried. It's so good. I got a variety pack so I could test the various flavors before I committed to a big canister.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy protein shakes, so I have one every day with breakfast. I like Quest salted caramel and Cookies & Cream. I go just shy of a scoop with 2 ounces of almond milk, water and ice. Eat that along with egg muffins or something more savory. Holds me over until my morning snack.

FYI - you can get a sampler pack with pre-measured pouches on Amazon. Great way to test all the flavors and they come in handy for travel.