How to get rid of that 'binge' mindset

Options
It's like it's all or nothing and there's no middle ground...Even with healthy foods! It's like my brain is programmed to not enjoy something unless I can gorge myself on it, which I KNOW is unhealthy. Is it really just practicing mind over matter? It seems impossible. Any tips? Mantras? Magic solutions? It's especially bad with 'bad' foods because my brain goes 'well if you're eating like crap anyway you might as well go completely overboard'. So rather than enjoying something in moderation, my mind makes the food 'bad' because I eat too much of it. Then I become afraid of it and hate myself for eating that food (pizza, cake, whatever...). I'm so tired of being scared of food because I feel like I can't control myself.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    With the help of a therapist?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I only buy very small portions of the food I want to limit. I always have a ton of carrots and celery in my fridge. I also try to keep it positive. Food is fuel. It is not bad nor good.
  • brazillit
    brazillit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, first you need to figure out the underlining issue. You are probably not binging because you are hungry or just love the taste of food as you admit to not taking the time to enjoy it. You can't treat the effect (binge) if you don't you know what the cause is. It could be your diet (high sugar / high card for example will leave you craving more when you get the sugar crash). It could be you are dehydrated (drink water instead of soda/juices (no sugar crash afterwards). It could be some medical condition. Maybe start with some professional help--get a checkup with your doctor, talk to a nutritionist about your diet or even a therapist if the issue is emotional eating or some other problem.
  • FabianMommy
    FabianMommy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    brb, your post helped me, thank you. <3
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    By identifying the underlying issue and dealing with that...
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    It's a mountain to climb. First step is deciding you actually do want to climb it. You have to want the healthy changes more than you want the immediate satisfaction of gorging yourself. I have always had the same mindset you have now. The change was internal. I just have had enough of being unhappy. I'm aggressively pursuing my goals. There is no room for what I WANT, only room for the fuel my body NEEDS. I treat myself how I would a child, a child doesn't necessarily know broccoli is a better choice for their health than a bowl of ice cream they need to be told this and provided healthy options right? So I pre plan all my meals and to make the easy it's the same stuff most days. Is it fun? Not really... But for me personally it can't be fun because food has always been about eating for my feelings/desires not for my actual needs. I've needed to cut the emotional connection to food. I have turned my food mindset to "food is fuel"

There will be occasional deviations because that's what makes life enjoyable, a night out for a burger, a holiday with family, but the bottom line is deciding you want a properly fueled body and chosing the foods that do that. I've also made sure to get more active because it makes my body's needs a little more apparent to me. I am trying to think of myself like an athlete even though I surely don't qualify as one but if you read interviews with atheletes you see how rigorous their training AND diets are, and those healthy fuel filled diets are how theyre successful.

I just can't think about what I'd like to eat, I need to think about what the body I care for and want to improve needs. Is it magic? No. It's constant attention, planning ahead, and never letting my desires run the show. It's hard as heck but I imagine myself fighting for the life and body I want. It's a battle and I'm going to win, even if it means mourning how I used to eat. I miss it but it was never worth what I've done to myself. I will never look normal I will now permanently have lose skin, still won't ever wear a bikini because I chose to eat whatever I wanted for too long. I simply won't stand to live in this body the way it is any longer, it's a determination that's unshakable. Not motivated. I'm determined.

This is EXACTLY it, right here. It's like I could have written this myself, I can relate to every single thing you said. This is what enabled me to be successful with taking control of my disordered eating habits and in my weight loss. Very wise words here!
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    its mind over matter. dont buy "bad foods" if you binge them. go do something else when you feel a binge coming on too
    This! Gum and diet soda when I want to eat because Im bored! Apple or pear if I still have calories to play with. Works great!
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    hollyfoord wrote: »
    It's like it's all or nothing and there's no middle ground...Even with healthy foods! It's like my brain is programmed to not enjoy something unless I can gorge myself on it, which I KNOW is unhealthy. Is it really just practicing mind over matter? It seems impossible. Any tips? Mantras? Magic solutions? It's especially bad with 'bad' foods because my brain goes 'well if you're eating like crap anyway you might as well go completely overboard'. So rather than enjoying something in moderation, my mind makes the food 'bad' because I eat too much of it. Then I become afraid of it and hate myself for eating that food (pizza, cake, whatever...). I'm so tired of being scared of food because I feel like I can't control myself.

You mentioned "bad foods"

I believe very very very strongly that the reason I was 250 - 270lbs for my entire adult life was because I put a moralistic value on food.

I ditched THAT mindset, worked on loving myself and fueling my body and am down 85 lbs.

You can DO this
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've had lots of days when I binge on what's in the house. Really, you can only do so much damage with yogurt, protein shakes, berries, Halo Top, etc. Keep the Twinkies and Peanut butter out of the house until you get in under control. I'm still learning, but I try to catch myself in the moment and talk myself down. Not always successful, but it's getting better.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Therapeutic and mediation practices will definitely be your long term solution but in the meantime, look into calorie density and SOS free eating. You can just do SOS free for 14 days and it usually will totally reset your tastebuds. That's my personal experience but I'm not saying everyone needs to go that far of course
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    Maybe try figuring out WHY you think you need to gorge on it. I know for me, part of my issue was a feeling I might not get to have this again so I must eat as much as I can now. It wasn't rational, but I think it came from growing up with a mom who went on a health food kick and banned sweets from the house. I can still remember her taking away the little bag of candy my grandma had given me before we even pulled out of grandma's driveway. Once I learned to tell myself that I don't have to eat it all now - I can always have some later, it was much easier to regulate how much and even so no entirely.

I think this is sort of why I do this too. No one banned sweets from me but I grew up very poor with 5 younger siblings. We had food but we didn't have extra and we rarely had snacks or treats. I was taught to never take the last piece of anything because my younger siblings might want it. I remember going to other people's houses and being amazed that they had things like an open bag of chips or crackers in their cupboards because that stuff lasted 30 seconds at my house. It was so odd to me that they didn't finish the bag.
    Then I started dating my husband and he was taking me out to eat all the time and buying me sweets. We got married and he used to laugh at me for literally licking my plate clean every night (embarrassing). It was like suddenly I could eat whatever I wanted and however much I wanted! And I did...
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Check out Eric's (Powered By Ice Cream) YouTube channel. He's recovered from BED. His nugget for binge-eating:

"The first bite tastes the same as the last."

Very true.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    IMHO is a bad habit that each time you do it again you make it stronger, just STOP doing it, be willing to resist the "discomfort" and each time you do it, its going to be easier to ignore the urge, it will take time and a lot of effort, but if you want to be free, there's no way around it...Good luck!
  • hollyfoord
    hollyfoord Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. I'm now aggressively pre-planning my meals with the MFP diary & creating 'menus' for the week. I even managed to fit in a frozen yogurt for today at the movies with some creativity :) My food diary is open if anyone wants to critique. Thanks all!