Lap Swimming....help me not be "that woman"

Options
2»

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Some pools will have signs out indicating which lanes are for which speeds. If that is the case be honest with yourself and pick the correct lane. Observe what everyone else is doing. More than two swimmers to a lane and they are circling? Follow suit. I wouldn't worry about announcing your presence in a circle swimming scenario (that has marked speed lanes) as everyone expects people to just come and go. Make sure you pay attention to everyone elses speed. If they tap your foot allow them to pass. There is no ego here, just let them do their workout.

If the pool doesn't have designated lanes take a look at what is going on and just pick a lane you are comfortable with. If only one person is in a lane, definitely make your presence known somehow. I usually just sit with my feet in the water until they get the hint. They will either stop to negotiate circle or split, or just move over. At least when I see someone's feet in my lane, I simply move to one side and assume the person will take the other. I won't stop my interval just to negotiate a lane split. If all lanes are taken by two people, you may need to pick a lane to negotiate a circle swim. This is not a big deal to any real swimmer. No real swimmer will get upset by asking to share a lane.

If someone does get upset you can usually convince a lifeguard to fix the problem.

I have only had a handful of incidents where people didn't want to share. One time I got to the pool where every lane had two people, except one. I went to that lane just as the woman swimming there stopped at the wall. I asked if she minded sharing the lane and she said "actually yes, I do mind. I am swimming here and would appreciate my own lane". I don't stand for that stupidity and told her that I only said that as a question to be polite and that we would be sharing that lane regardless. She didn't like that very much and attempted to splash me every time she got near me. Strange since I was swimming and, like, wet...

Anyway - don't worry at ALL about what others think about your swimming ability. Everyone is there to get their own workouts done in the most efficient amount of time possible. Nobody cares what their lane mates are doing unless it's dangerous or something like that.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    As a competitive swimmer for 18 years, I have dealt with all types of swimmers. For me the most annoying thing about open swim is when people DON'T let you pass them. I have tapped the foot of a lot of people who either ignore my tapping or won't stop at the wall to let me pass. DON'T be one of those people. I love a pool that marks out the speed at which you should be, however, not everyone has the same idea of what their speed is accurately. I have come across elderly people that are the most inconsiderate. No offense anyone! But their technique and how many times I have been hit by them is far more than I ever wanted. When I swam with my team, we never really had any issues like the ones I encounter during open swim, so yes, introduce yourself, tell them you're a beginner, and then let them figure it out because you did your part, now let them do theirs.

Good luck! I love swimming. It's the best sport!

I need to confess that I'm an older swimmer too--62, and I can keep up a good pace without stopping, but am not Speedy Gonzales. When I get an elderly swimmer or someone who is obviously a beginner, I cut them alot of slack. The ones that bug me are those that know how to swim, but choose to hog the whole lane, or whack you with flailing arms on the backstroke. They irritate me. I have outlasted them all, and I remember them and avoid them if I can in the meantime. There is nothing more beautiful than watching someone who really knows how to swim. Once we had a famous actor swimming at our pool and although the lifeguards tried to give him his own lane, I once saw him wind up with a little old lady. He used to be a competitve swimmer, but I was touched at how polite and nice he was to that lady in his lane. He could have swum cicles around her, but waited for her to reach the end of the pool several times.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here so the only thing I'll add is - try your best to keep to your side of the lane. Some people drift over towards the middle, particularly when doing free/crawl or backstroke. I almost end up swimming under the lane divider to avoid them!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here so the only thing I'll add is - try your best to keep to your side of the lane. Some people drift over towards the middle, particularly when doing free/crawl or backstroke. I almost end up swimming under the lane divider to avoid them!

I just brace myself for impact and let them come. They gotta learn somehow. :)

Great advice above. There's definitely a learning curve, but after not too long, it becomes familiar. So the key is to just start, and pay attention to what others are doing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It is everyone's responsibility to watch out and when you are nearing someone in the opposite line, I just hold my glide an extra second or scoot over so to minimize the bumping. It's only once per length so not a big deal and saves on the bruises. Swimmers don't go around wacking others on purpose! I do a lot of breast stroke and that does take up the whole lane, lol, so I try to adjust. Fortunately, I never have to do circle swim.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    When I do the breast stoke and am passing someone I just shorten up my kick once or twice until I pass, then I lengthen up again. We always cicle swim.
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As a competitive swimmer for 18 years, I have dealt with all types of swimmers. For me the most annoying thing about open swim is when people DON'T let you pass them. I have tapped the foot of a lot of people who either ignore my tapping or won't stop at the wall to let me pass. DON'T be one of those people. I love a pool that marks out the speed at which you should be, however, not everyone has the same idea of what their speed is accurately. I have come across elderly people that are the most inconsiderate. No offense anyone! But their technique and how many times I have been hit by them is far more than I ever wanted. When I swam with my team, we never really had any issues like the ones I encounter during open swim, so yes, introduce yourself, tell them you're a beginner, and then let them figure it out because you did your part, now let them do theirs.

Good luck! I love swimming. It's the best sport!

I need to confess that I'm an older swimmer too--62, and I can keep up a good pace without stopping, but am not Speedy Gonzales. When I get an elderly swimmer or someone who is obviously a beginner, I cut them alot of slack. The ones that bug me are those that know how to swim, but choose to hog the whole lane, or whack you with flailing arms on the backstroke. They irritate me. I have outlasted them all, and I remember them and avoid them if I can in the meantime. There is nothing more beautiful than watching someone who really knows how to swim. Once we had a famous actor swimming at our pool and although the lifeguards tried to give him his own lane, I once saw him wind up with a little old lady. He used to be a competitve swimmer, but I was touched at how polite and nice he was to that lady in his lane. He could have swum cicles around her, but waited for her to reach the end of the pool several times.

Oh I agree with the whole lane idea. I think that's what I'm talking about, not slow swimmers, but swimmers who take up the whole lane and don't consider other people who want to swim. Like I said, I've come across a lot of different swimmers. There was this elderly woman at our college pool, who hung onto the gutters and just moved up and down the lane that way. She was in her lane and not bothering anyone. I actually swam with her a few times because I had my own side and she had hers. By no means am I a rude swimmer, I'm just a swimmer trying not to get hit and get my workout in. I saw someone mention breaststroke kick, and that was my stroke, so what I did during open swim is hold out my glides a bit longer when I was passing someone who I thought I might hit.

• nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am a competitive swimmer. You can either split the lane or circle swim (swim down the right side of the lane).

If you are in the end lane (along the wall), I find it rude to make the other swimmer swim along the wall.

I agree with letting people pass you on the wall.

There are some pools where people refuse to share a lane and I will see people sitting on the side waiting for an open lane. There is no reason why people can't circle swim so 2 or more people can swim in a lane.

Good luck. Swimming is the best exercise for your body!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    All good advice above!

Luckily the pool I go to has 6 lanes for open swim at times, generally there are two people in a lane and we each pick a side. I have no problem switching to circle swimming, but there is one guy who comes in, asks to circle, we do and he decides to stop in the middle of the pool and turn and go the other way at times or stops and treads water at the deep end so you can't get to the wall. He does all this and only stays in the pool for 10 minutes or so. Its annoying...don't do that.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Bump

How's it been going OP?

And also to add.... don't be the person that swims 'head out of the water' breaststroke in the fast lane! argh!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If there is a lifeguard, chat with him or her -- likely that will be useful to you. And he or she is typically friendly and bored. (Personal experience here!)

* In addition to the typical "etiquette" which is more or less universal, there may be some particular to your facility.
    * The lifeguard usually is a current or former competitive swimmer that can give your pointers. He or she can't coach you on duty, but can give some advice and resources like classes for adults, YouTube videos and so on.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Luckily, the place I am going is a wellness center that is connected with the local hospital. So, a lot of the swimmers are older or recovering from injury. There are not too many that move super fast. There are three designated lap lanes, no posted speeds and I have found a "sweet spot" swim time that enables me to have my own lane. I have yet to share a lane.

So far, things are going well. It has been nice to have my own "space" to get back into the groove.

It seems like a lot of the people there are super nice, so if I did ever have to share, I would let them know I am starting out and ask what they prefer for sharing (circle, splitting, etc.)

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I just really wanted to get back into it, but also be cognizant of what normal protocol is.

I am really enjoying being back in the pool!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My Y has specific instructions about lap swimming posted right outside the locker room.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Ive also seen slower swimmers buy flippers if they cant keep up with a lane speed but still want to swim.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's annoying, but thankfully it's only 10 min. I would bring this to the attention of the lifeguard or pool manager. It is prob against the rules to randomly change directions, etc.