Peanut butter and weight loss

Options
Hi, just wondering if peanut butter as a snack in Celery is ok when trying to loss weight.
I have 1 x 22g serving.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    So that's about 140 calories (assuming the 22 g was just the peanut butter, not the celery and the pb). Does 140 calories fit in your calorie goal?
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could eat peanut butter but it affects my skin really badly ( I'm not allergic.) I even tried to make it at home and still it breaks me out. But if you can eat it on celery, with no adverse reactions, I. Sure you can definitely fit that in to a balanced diet. It's just peanuts after all!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    A 22g serve of the PB I use would provide 11.2g fat.

My fat macro goal is set at 50g a day, so the PB isn't going to exceed that. Even if it did, it would only make up a small part of my calorie goal for the day, so would fit in to my diet easily if I was to disregard my focus on macros.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    As others have said, if it fits your calories go for it! If you're having trouble making it fit though, there are some lower calorie alternatives like PB2 and other peanut butter powders. (They take out a lot of the fat so it ends up being around half the calories of "real" peanut butter.)

I can't tell a big difference but so far I've only used PB2 in baking so your mileage may vary. (And again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with regular peanut butter. I just have a fairly low calorie goal so if there's a lower calorie version of anything, I'm at least going to give it a try.)
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on a piece of whole wheat bread is one of my favorite go to snacks.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter everyday, but i add 20g in my smoothie...

Me too! I blend it with my vanilla protein powder and frozen blueberries and I call it my PB&J shake. It's absolutely delicious! Helps me finish out my macros AND serves as dessert! B)

I wonder if that PB2 powder would have the same effect. I guess I try it and see...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When I started using mfp in January of 2016, the thing that most surprised me was the widespread use of peanut butter by people ostensibly trying to lose weight. That may have been the first thing I learned. Macros matter. If it fits your calories, get the macros and pb effectively fills 2 macros.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I eat it most days in various forms; with celery sticks, on ice cream, on a spoon, etc. (I did use PB2 back when I ate low fat.) It fits my macros. I do weigh it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

I wonder if that PB2 powder would have the same effect. I guess I try it and see...

Yep it does, i sometimes have PB2 and it definitely gives the peanut buttery taste. I can only just detect the 20g of regular peanut butter i put in my smoothie. You can add more pb2 for a bigger punch for less calories.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Yep it does, i sometimes have PB2 and it definitely gives the peanut buttery taste. I can only just detect the 20g of regular peanut butter i put in my smoothie. You can add more pb2 for a bigger punch for less calories.

Yes

OP, peanut butter is fine but VERY calorie dense so be sure to weigh it.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I love PB, used to mix it with my oatmeal every morning to give it some fat/protein.
    Eventually switched to eggs to add variety
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

@Christine_72

just ordered 3 jars of pb2 off amazon LOL never heard of this....

then i found this

https://dashingdish.com/recipe/skinny-peanut-butter-cups/

think im in trouble LOL
  • Christine_72
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

@Christine_72

then i found this

think im in trouble LOL

Corr blimey, they are my type of dessert!

I hope you like the PB2, I've only ever used it as an add in to smoothies, yogurt, cottage cheese, desserts, cheerios etc I've never had it as a sandwich/toast topping.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @JaydedMiss These are the only peanut butter cup type desserts I've ever made, they are deadly but so delicious!

http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-diet-peanut-butter-cup-fat-bombs/
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

@Christine_72

then i found this

think im in trouble LOL

Corr blimey, they are my type of dessert!

I hope you like the PB2, I've only ever used it as an add in to smoothies, yogurt, cottage cheese, desserts, cheerios etc I've never had it as a sandwich/toast topping.

thats mostly what ill be using it for...I got the chocolate flavoured one so it will be a deserty smoothie type thing mainly. But 17 calorie mini pb cups are to good to pass up trying XD Also found some protein bars with it in them ima try, I spend ALOT of money on larabars for meal replacement at work xD

Im way to scared to try baking somethign like the above, Id eat them all...
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat it all the time ! Love peanut butter, its better then a bag of chips or chocolate bar lol. :)
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    P s I use kraft extra smooth and tbs is 80cals anf stick of celery is like less then 10 cals