Recipe Recommends Please!

Options
Hi all,

First post from me! One of my resolutions this year was to cook a big meal at least one night a week that I could use in my packed lunches for the following week. This way I could save money and also control calories. I've kinda exhausted my basics now and am looking for some suggestions.

Ideally recipes should be -
1 - easy to scale up to make 8-12 portions
2 - really filling
3 - nutrient packed

They don't need to be extra low calorie, I'm just hoping something that comes in the 500 calorie range for a nice 2 cup portion.

Any other packed lunch suggestions / tips are welcome.

-M

Replies

• mariannamaclean
    Options
    Hi all,

First post from me! One of my resolutions this year was to cook a big meal at least one night a week that I could use in my packed lunches for the following week. This way I could save money and also control calories. I've kinda exhausted my basics now and am looking for some suggestions.

Ideally recipes should be -
    1 - easy to scale up to make 8-12 portions
    2 - really filling
    3 - nutrient packed

They don't need to be extra low calorie, I'm just hoping something that comes in the 500 calorie range for a nice 2 cup portion.

Any other packed lunch suggestions / tips are welcome.

-M
  • trritchie
    Options
    Hi, im only 18 so i dont know bout cooking for a large family, but i do love to cook.

i eat alot of slow cooker meals, its super easy to just throw a bunch of stuff in and let it go for the day. Pork tenderloin roast is really low calorie for meats.

make chilli using ground lean turkey or even chicken.

Pizza is always a good idea when dieting when others are not, also good with portion control, just make your section of the pizza with lots of veggies, healthy sauce, low cheese. deli meet slices with sundried tomatoes and pesto is really good. and the rest of the pizza u just put on what the others enjoy.

roasting chicken, just put in some potatos and carrots, celary and some water and baked. once the chicken is done skim the fat from the top of the liquid. then u can use to liquid as a stock for a chicken and rice soup for the next day.

Whole grain pasta, with lots of mushrooms, onions, green pepper, and again you can use lean ground pork in your sauce. And the whole grain pasta is really fulling

buy french fry seasoning, and cut up potatos in fry sizes and bake in the oven. they are so good and not bad point wise( i use weight watchers) also sweet potatos cut up like fries are really good

well i hope i helped u with some ideas.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    There are some super recipes already on MFP under the recipe section. One I made last night again which I can see would be very easy to up the servings is Crockpot Salsa Chicken. Last night we tried it in torillas, in the past rice or others have tried different ways. You'll be able to do a search on it if you like. :drinker:

FC:heart:
  • mariannamaclean
    Options
    Fantastic - the Pizza idea hadn't even occurred to me - I was myopic focusing on stew-y things!

The salsa chicken will be attempted this week!
  • moonglows
    Options
    there are a ton of recipes on here; hungrygirl.com. I tried out the lo mein one last night and its fantastic ;)
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I made a great chili tonight with a Simply Organic spicy chili seasoning packet. I browned 1/2 lb of ground beef, drained the fat and put in crock pot with:
    1 cup red kidney bean, uncooked
    1 small red onion chopped
    5 big cloves of garlic
    1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes; plus half a can of water

Cook on high for 6 hours. Yummy!!

220 cals for a one cup serving; makes 6 servings
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    Chili is AMAZING! lol. Easily one of the most convenient and nutritionally satisfying meals available.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Fantastic - the Pizza idea hadn't even occurred to me - I was myopic focusing on stew-y things!

The salsa chicken will be attempted this week!
    Trust me on this one...you'll LOVE the variations you'll find on the Slow cooker Salsa Chicken thread....that thread comes up so often it's incredible!

Not sure if mentioned it on this thread or not but we tried it on whole wheat tortillas this time around. Whole different experience ...good stuff and some great fiber as well:drinker: :wink: I also used Salsa with Black Beans and corn in it and when it says in the recipe for 1/2 pkg of Taco Seasoning we use much less, I have used the same pkg for like 4-5 different meals of it now. Just needs some zing is all.:bigsmile:

FC:heart:
  • Kmill217
    Options
    YOur just NOW getting introduced to WHOLE wheat torillas? I buy mine from Sams from the Co. of Santa Fe. 13 carbs 7 fiber...A little thin, and definitely different, but very convenient to construct wraps & pizzas on. With 8 grams of protein and 3.5 fat I can't complain!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    YOur just NOW getting introduced to WHOLE wheat torillas? I buy mine from Sams from the Co. of Santa Fe. 13 carbs 7 fiber...A little thin, and definitely different, but very convenient to construct wraps & pizzas on. With 8 grams of protein and 3.5 fat I can't complain!
    No not new to them but new to using them in the MFP recipe that's going around.:happy:

Love the whole wheat ones...use them alot for many things. thanks for the brand idea:drinker: I get mine from my Health Food coop
  • Kmill217
    Options
    Yeah, I havn't been to our local health food store yet. Well I have been to a hippie joint, but their stuff is way too organic for me if you know what im sayin.