How do you feel about going over your daily FAT GOAL?

Options
2»

Replies

• missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options

It's only a worry if it happens a lot and your other macros are quite low. The WHO recommends staying under 30% of calories from fat (other sources say 35%) , but I've also read 15% minimum "healthy" fat is good. I think it's 9 cal/gram for fat, and 4 for carbs and protein, so portions are going to be small if you eat a lot of fat. If it's not saturated or trans fat, and you're staying within your calorie goal and paying some attention to nutrition, I wouldn't worry at all, even if it's several times a week.

For me, fish is what sends my fat way up, but it also has a lot of protein and good fat, so no problem. And occasional high fat desserts keep people (or at least me) from feeling deprived and quitting. Weighing high fat foods is really important, though. I've finally realized the least messy way to weigh peanut butter is just weighing the bread before and after. And making cake and quick breads in muffin tins saves weighing individual slices of high fat goodness.
  • zachsus
    zachsus Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Fine. With macros, I focus on reaching a certain number (protein for muscle building/maintaining and fats for hormonal/energy balance... don't really care about carbs) and from there it's anything goes. The focus after that is to hit daily caloric goal.
  • Spiffy_Barbarella
    Spiffy_Barbarella Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My macro goals are 60% carbs: 20% protein: 20% fats, so that is actually very low fat. If I go a bit over 20% fat, I don't mind. Calorie totals are what really matter.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    missmince wrote: »
    It's only a worry if it happens a lot and your other macros are quite low. The WHO recommends staying under 30% of calories from fat (other sources say 35%) , but I've also read 15% minimum "healthy" fat is good. I think it's 9 cal/gram for fat, and 4 for carbs and protein, so portions are going to be small if you eat a lot of fat. If it's not saturated or trans fat, and you're staying within your calorie goal and paying some attention to nutrition, I wouldn't worry at all, even if it's several times a week.

For me, fish is what sends my fat way up, but it also has a lot of protein and good fat, so no problem. And occasional high fat desserts keep people (or at least me) from feeling deprived and quitting. Weighing high fat foods is really important, though. I've finally realized the least messy way to weigh peanut butter is just weighing the bread before and after. And making cake and quick breads in muffin tins saves weighing individual slices of high fat goodness.

Or, try putting the jar on the scale. Tare it, then take out what you need (or log what you take out). It'll show a negative number, that's the amount you took out....then you can lick the spoon/knife too!
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Good idea. :) I used to try to measure a tablespoon out of the jar, then lick off the spoon (assuming no one was around to watch). Just using a knife and licking it is less likely to leave peanut butter on my nose than that rather inaccurate tablespoon. I love peanut butter so much. My favorite comfort food is PBJ.
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have so far lost over 44lbs in 11 months concentrating only on the calorie count regardless of how the macros looked, for me it worked, so I saw no need to make it even more complicated by adding extra pressure in trying to fit my meals not only to a calorie count but also to hitting the macro percentages.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I don't really worry about it if my macros are not perfectly in line with the targets, so long as the calories aren't over the target. They're usually close, and if they're not, one day is not going to hurt me. I'm not trying to go to the Olympics here.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Fat is fine as long as I'm still under my calories
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Totally fine.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I feel okay.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Meh. That's how I feel as long as I stay within my calorie goals.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If I go over my fat goal I actually feel very proud of myself, and my body feels good. I set mine for the minimum because I love to eat high volume, but sometimes I don't hit the minimum. So, I get excited if I've had a delicious day, I'm happy and not hungry, and have gone over my fat goal.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Especially when it comes in the form of avocados and cheese. >:)
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It depends on the fat. If the fat was from avocado, olive oil, seeds, nuts, salmon, then I'm fine going over a little. If it was from fried food, beef fat, cheese, chicken skin, or whole milk, then I would re-evaluate my eating plan and goals.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I could care less personally. Wish I could shut off those annoying warnings about saturated fat that MFP loves to put out all the time, TBH.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm only vaguely aware of what my macros are...too much hand wringing over something that's not particularly important if you're eating a nutritious and balanced diet.