30 days and zero weightloss? Help

Options
Hey everyone,

So I've been logging and tracking for about 30 days or so now and I haven't achieved any weight loss. I've been sitting steady at between 74.5-75kg

Recently I started taking some fat burner (Optiburn) to see if that helps. It's only been a week using that and still nothing.

My average over the week is around 7500kj. I've had a couple of days where I didn't track because of the meals I was eating out but I kept it reasonable.

I regularly go to the gym and do weight training, around 3-4 days a week. Could it be that I'm gaining muscle just as fast as I'm losing the weight? I didn't think that was possible when eating in a deficit.

Replies

• manuel_kasko
    manuel_kasko Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've made my diary public for anyone wanting to help.

I'm 26 years old
    Height of 175cm
    Weight of 75kg
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Diary is still closed, sorry!
    *at the time this was posted.
  • zehrjordan
    zehrjordan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You really aren't that over weight so I think it's definitely possible that you are loosing fat and putting on muscle, and yes you can still put muscle on during a calorie deficient diet as long as you eating plenty of protein. A better measurement would be a skin fold test or just simply take measurements of your mid section and arms and see how they change over a period of time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So I've been logging and tracking for about 30 days or so now and I haven't achieved any weight loss. I've been sitting steady at between 74.5-75kg

Recently I started taking some fat burner (Optiburn) to see if that helps. It's only been a week using that and still nothing.

My average over the week is around 7500kj. I've had a couple of days where I didn't track because of the meals I was eating out but I kept it reasonable.

I regularly go to the gym and do weight training, around 3-4 days a week. Could it be that I'm gaining muscle just as fast as I'm losing the weight? I didn't think that was possible when eating in a deficit.

First, drop the fat burner. They are worthless. Second, no you won't be gaining as much muscle as fat. Even in a surplus with a good progressive overload program, are males limited to around 2 lbs per month. At 1800 calories, I'd highly doubt you would gain much if any muscle.

Third, are you using a food scale? How many unlogged days are we talking?
  • manuel_kasko
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

First, drop the fat burner. They are worthless. Second, no you won't be gaining as much muscle as fat. Even in a surplus with a good progressive overload program, are males limited to around 2 lbs per month. At 1800 calories, I'd highly doubt you would gain much if any muscle.

Third, are you using a food scale? How many unlogged days are we talking?

Yes a food scale and scanning anything that's packaged. Most of my dinners are pre packed meals with nutrition information on them.

Unlogged days would be about 2-3 over the past 30-35 days. However they haven't been days full of cheat meals or anything like that.

Breakfast has pretty much consisted of bread and cottage cheese or bread and eggs. Weighted and scanned.

Lunch has had a mix of packaged meals and home made. Again those were weighted and scanned.

Dinner as mentioned has been nearly always pre packed or simple easy weighted stuff.
  • manuel_kasko
    Options
    Waist = 81cm
    Hips = 103cm

I'm not really trying to lose loads of actual weight but I'm trying to tone up. I'm what you could call "skinny fat" because I have a gut but I'm rather skinny looking with a shirt on.

• manuel_kasko
    Options

At the time of my original post, I had made it public. Maybe it takes a little while to take effect?

I just checked and it's still showing as public on my end. Hopefully it will change for you soon :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising and eating back those calories? All of them, or a portion of them?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Diary still closed.

Go to settings. Go to Diary Settings. Scroll to bottom, choose Public for Diary Sharing.

For things you are scanning, are you weighing them also? Package contents can be off by 20% and still meet FDA guidelines. I buy low cal bread that is supposed to be 2 slices = 41 grams and 2 slices is usually 45-49 grams. Just an example.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You mentioned scanning your food. Are you double checking to make sure the scanned item information matches the food packaging? Scanning items isn't necessarily accurate as all it does is takes you to a database entry. It's just quicker, not necessarily accurate.

Are you looking going everything including cooking oils, added milk, beverages, fruit, vegetables, condiments?

At the time of my original post, I had made it public. Maybe it takes a little while to take effect?

I just checked and it's still showing as public on my end. Hopefully it will change for you soon :)

Will check now!
  • manuel_kasko
    Options
    Are you exercising and eating back those calories? All of them, or a portion of them?

Not tracking the exercise because I mainly do weights and not cardio. From my understanding the app can't track burnt calories from weight training due to there being too many variations.

My work is fairly sedate, sitting at a desk all day and moving computers around the office etc every now and then throughout the day (Gov IT support)

The app originally gave me a goal of around 1500cal due to the sedate job setting. So I upped it myself to 1750 due to factoring in that I'm going to be working out 3-4 days a week and that would go untracked.

Online calculators put my maintenance at 2200 calories. So I'm currently eating in a 500 calorie deficit.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I've made my diary public for anyone wanting to help.

I'm 26 years old
    Height of 175cm
    Weight of 75kg

How much weight are you trying to lose? American here, so you're 5'7, 165 lbs...
  • manuel_kasko
    Options
    Diary still closed.

Go to settings. Go to Diary Settings. Scroll to bottom, choose Public for Diary Sharing.

For things you are scanning, are you weighing them also? Package contents can be off by 20% and still meet FDA guidelines. I buy low cal bread that is supposed to be 2 slices = 41 grams and 2 slices is usually 45-49 grams. Just an example.

As mentioned, I'm checked the diary settings 2x now and it's still showing as public for me. Must take a while to get it done.

I have noticed some things I scanned were entered incorrectly and so I fixed them on the spot.

However I haven't been weighing scanned stuff like bread. I've just presumed that 2 slices was 2 slices.

I have been weighing and entering things such as oil and butter. Don't really have condiments on my meals but if I do then I enter them as well. Such as gravy.
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Are you checking diary settings or privacy-profile settings?
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So I'm currently eating in a 500 calorie deficit.

No you're not. You're at maintenance, or close enough to it that any weight loss is being masked for a prolonged period. I would drop conservatively (as your calories are low, but they may be underestimated) by 200 calories/day and see how the next month goes.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
  • manuel_kasko
    Options
    Are you checking diary settings or privacy-profile settings?

I've now checked it for the 5th time now.
    Settings, diary settings, diary sharing (public)
    It's been like that since I posted the original comment. Not sure wtf is wrong with it but it's 10000% correct.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Without access to your food log, how much 'scanned stuff' that is unweighed goes into what you eat?
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    It's hard to tell at this point, so I'll provide the chart so you can attempt to self-diagnose...

k8l66oxmlq68.jpg