Peanut butter and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    1117429 wrote: »
    P s I use kraft extra smooth and tbs is 80cals anf stick of celery is like less then 10 cals

You'd be better off weighing the peanut butter. A tablespoon of pb can easily be over 80 cals.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is one of my very most favorite foods, but I've mainly moved to PB2 in shakes for that yum. But have it if you can fit it in.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am another who can't make peanut butter work because it is a trigger food. So much deliciousness I lose all willpower. I do have a great recipe for an African stew that uses it but I buy the smallest jar I can find and keep the leftover in the trunk of my car so I am not tempted. Some day I will be able to have it in the house again, but not yet.

Like others have said, weigh it. I put the entire jar on the scale and tare it so it says 0. I then remove the peanut butter until it says -20 g. Easier than trying to scoop some out and weigh it.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It's a great food. I still eat peanut butter, only I don't eat it in candy or cake or on white bread with jelly.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I eat a tablespoon of PB for a treat, but only one a day max.
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had an employee that ate spoonfuls of peanut butter on cut diet. The guy couldnt have weighed more than150lbs @ 5'3. I thought he was just going to get fat, but he dropped down to what looked like 6-8% BF, and was built like a musclemania contestant.

I am not sure if drugs were involved, but it seems like all he ate was peanut butter, and he looked amazing.

Can you hit all your macros and micros just by eating peanut butter?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Calories...those are what matter...
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    PB2 for shakes/smoothies. For a snack,I like Barney Almond Butter (plain) that comes in 90 cal individual serving packets. Schmear one pack on flat out fla fold-its. 180 cals all-in and super satisfying.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    ...and i can NOT go anywhere near that pb jar if I'm wielding a bigarse tablespoon.

THIS is exactly my problem with peanut butter. I cannot show enough restraint to not just eat spoonfuls of it. And there is just absolutely no time to weigh the stuff between bites!

Honestly, though, if you can eat it without bingeing and fit it into your calories, go for it.

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a great source of protein and as long as it's within your calorie goals don't limit what you eat unless you have dietary restrictions.

I lost 80 pounds over 8 months and I've maintained that weight loss for approximately eight months. During that time I ate whatever I wanted. I had Wendy's hamburgers pizza and beers on the beach. if I had to give up those things I don't think I could have ever done it. For this to work it has to be a sustainable process don't look at it as a diet scuzz diets eventually fail it has to be a lifestyle change
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    If you're eating it with celery, you might try putting it only on one stick and eat that first. The flavor lingers so you may be able to eat a couple more celery sticks and still enjoy the peanut taste for fewer calories. I find natural PB (the kind that's just ground up peanuts and salt) is better and more peanutty.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me. Not even in maintenance. Just doesn't fit how I like it. But of course you can lose weight and eat peanut butter.
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I really liked some peanut butter on whole wheat toast (1 slice) on my way to playing hockey. Got a good energy boost, plus the exercise probably burned most of the calories!